Gas/Fuel vapors/fumes visible from gas door

TheGrrrrr

GOLD Star
Has anyone with an aux tank tried filling the main tank when the main tank is boiling? That should cool it down and maybe stop the boiling??? Of course that isn't a solution but just a way to test the theory.

@TheGrrrrr, maybe you could just run the return fuel line through your shower heater on your roof rack and get both cool fuel and hot water...

I like the logic on the aux tank, but I think someone tried that and found that the transfer pump will immediately disengage because of the pressure levels in the main tank. If that could be overcome safely, it might be a mitigation strategy.

As for my water tank on the roof, it might already be hotter than the fuel. I didn't buy it to heat the water, just carry it, but heat the water it does!

grinchy

SILVER Star
Is the area at top/back of engine in the engine bay a possible location?

bloc

SILVER Star
Temps there would still be elevated and struggle to do much cooling..

For an air/liquid cooler we’d want as much ambient airflow as possible.

Some insight, I recently idled the truck while monitoring variables on a mild 80*F day. Intake air temp would start 5-10 degrees above ambient. After 15 minutes, was at 150*F. That's at the fender outside of the engine bay. Inside the engine would be that much hotter.

I hear all the time. "My rig doesn't run hot". I ask how do you known? "Gauge on dash". Right!

Use any device hooked to OBD port, and read ECT, IAT & AT temps. If boiling/venting fuel, 99 out of 100 will see ECT, IAT & AT are running hot. Yet water temp gauge on dash isn't showing it is! AT temp light is not on.

bloc

SILVER Star
I hear all the time. "My rig doesn't run hot". I ask how do you known? "Gauge on dash". Right!

Use any device hooked to OBD port, and read ECT, IAT & AT temps. If boiling/venting fuel, 99 out of 100 will see ECT, IAT & AT are running hot. Yet water temp gauge on dash isn't showing it is! AT temp light is not on.
Toyota must be pretty bad at designing cooling systems for a vehicle with Genuine Toyota pump, radiator, thermostat, fan clutch, belt, idler and tensioner pulleys, coolant, and most hoses with less than 30k miles to run hot while running passes in 70-80 degree temps in low range at 1000lb under gross weight and only marginally taller tires than stock.

I’m fully aware the mid range of the stock coolant gauge is numb to the world, it’s much like other Toyotas on which I’ve done the resistor mod. But how much hotter will something run without any indication on the gauge? 20f higher than stock? And that alone is supposed to add more heat to the fuel system than it’s designed for? Keep in mind these trucks are designed to survive for a few hundred thousand miles in Africa. Often BEAT ON in the dunes in the Middle East.

I’m not saying this isn’t a contributing factor, but there are too many people here whom I trust to have dialed cooling systems that this has happened to.

Last edited:

TheGrrrrr

GOLD Star
If anyone wants to analyze some data, I have posted up all of my OBD Fusion Logs from Red Cone, where I did intermittently smell gas in the cabin.

linuxgod

SILVER Star

My rig doesn’t run hot! :)

Ok not entirely true. Took this today while going over Rabbit Ears Pass near Steamboat Springs. 9300’, 14k lbs GCWR (truck + trailer). A/T and engine oil temps get hot, but coolant stays normal at 196F. No fuel boiling out of the tank.

I wish I’d used my dashboard on red cone as I did have a little “leakage” at the gas cap there. I didn’t have any on Mosquito Pass but I did fire up the dashboard and all my temps were 196F or less (coolant was 185F or thereabouts). That was going up te pass in 1st gear, 4Lo, so not exactly fast.

No gas cap leakage going over Imogene on Thursday and that’s 13k’, though I think I could smell some gas vapors. Then again I followed a group of ten 40/60/62/80 rigs over so lots of smells from them mixed into my cabin.

All anecdotal data but throwing it out there for future reference maybe it’s helpful to someone

99F68192-DBCA-4737-82D3-51F1D330DAD6.png

F7B81231-DFD9-4354-A975-208436ECAC7C.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom