gas cans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
DOT/OSHA requires a spring loaded seal on cans. Plastic or steel are OK. What's not are the old traditional Jerry cans with a screw on cap. While no one will pull you over for a non safety lid it's good to know!

Years ago I had questions about the cans we carried on our wildland fire engines and found two experts who 'knew the answers to what was 'legal'. One was a military haz mat guy who said "we're the military, we don't have the same rules....except that metal cans were no longer used on aircraft.

The other was the CHP in charge of haz mat. Her was a Jeeper who carried Jerry cans on the back of his rig. The old fashioned ones with the screw on caps. Hr dug into the regs and was surprised to find that he was in violation of the rules.

But, the old saying holds true..."if we want you, we can find something to get you on..."

I not know the new plastic gas cans all the theb stupid spring loaded spout. Not sure the DOT has anything to do with out cans sold before the spring loaded spout. If they did they would probably require retro fit of fuel tank in old vehicles. Old FJ40s with the fuel tank inside the cab would need it to be relocated outside the cab. Every couple of years emission would need to be updated. Of course CA is different and very well could have outlawed early few cans. That wouldn't surprised me. Hard to buy anything that doesn't have a label stating could possibly cause cancer according to CA.

I not know the new plastic gas cans all the theb stupid spring loaded spout. Not sure the DOT has anything to do with out cans sold before the spring loaded spout. If they did they would probably require retro fit of fuel tank in old vehicles. Old FJ40s with the fuel tank inside the cab would need it to be relocated outside the cab. Every couple of years emission would need to be updated. Of course CA is different and very well could have outlawed early few cans. That wouldn't surprised me. Hard to buy anything that doesn't have a label stating could possibly cause cancer according to CA.
The best 5 gallon gas can that I've found is the Justrite Type II safety can. They can fall over and roll around and won't drip a drop. Easy to pour and no fiddling with the plastic spout. Granted, they don't look anywhere as cool as a Jerry can.

Dang, guess it might be time to retire my old Jerry can. USMC can from the 1940s, much older than the cruiser. In the last 20+ years I've never had any problems with it other than the slow outflow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom