Gas can sitting around in the heat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to be parkiing my '92 LC in Las Vegas, out in the sun but under an aluminized cover, between desert trips. I've got one of those nice new NATO-style gas cans, but now that we're a couple of weeks away from our initial trip I've started thinking about leaving that gas can sitting around in that heat. Gas tanks and caps must have some vents, but cans?

I was initially thinking that we'd be sure to leave the can empty, but the more I think about the less comfortable I am. Presumably it's got a good seal, but at some temperature anything could explode. Since vapors, not the liquid gasoline, are what explode, it would probably be safer to leave the thing full, but somehow that doesn't sound so good either. If I leave the cap inside the truck and open a crack, the interior may smell like gas from then on. But this will just be in some RV storage lot, so I don't have too many other options.

Any ideas?

If you are just worried about having the can there when you come back and want to have it available... empty it, leave it open outside for a while for the dregs to evaporate and then store it open and empty inside the irig while you are gone.

Mark...

I'm pretty sure that "NATO" anticipated this situation when they designed the can. If there is some shade then there is no way it is going to get hot enough to explode (actually no exploding even in the sun). Cans can allow the pressure to build with no ill effect just be careful when opening as the contents may have some pressure.

I'm trying to recall ever seeing a gas can explode while I lived in Las Vegas.

Nope, and all I had were those old school "Jerry Cans".

canyoneer said:
...If I leave the [can] inside the truck and open a crack, the interior may smell like gas from then on....
Under no circumstances would I consider this an option. The explosion hazard would be off the scale. The fact that your truck would stink is just the cherry on top.

Vegas in summer, interior temps will be 150+, how much more I don't know. No way would I store a gas can inside. Empty it out into your vehicle tank before you park your truck then chain and padlock the empty can to the roof rack.

You want to fill it with fresh gas at the beginning of your next trip anyway.

I have 4 NATO cans that sit outside in the summer,in direct sun, none have ever gone boom. A full can has less vapor then a partfull or empty can.

I can't imagine the cans have a vent or you'd just evaporate the gas in a relatively short time. They'll be fine if of reasonable quality.

Chaining it to the truck sounds good. I guess I'll leave it empty and try to air it out. I know that a full can has less fumes, but I don't think I can handle leaving one sitting around.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

If you empty it and leave the cap off for a few hours there won't be any fumes left.

I would not worry about emptying out the can (to be kept on roof while in storage) for safety reasons. I just figure that if it is empty, it is much less likely somebody will be tempted to swipe it.

"Only know can designed not to explode when engulfed in a fire "
from http://www.davidsonproducts.com/products.htm

Sounds like it would do OK in hot air... :eek:

I would also suggest keeping it full to minimize vapors (second best would be completely empty)

Don't worry so much about it. Empty the can, leave the lid closure in the up position (not cammed shut) and padlock it to the car somewhere. Any fumes will evaporate within a few days and your can won't be full of dust (hopefully) when you get back.

You might want to look at MARINE gas cans, MARINE specs, dont allow for any vapors to escape, by far the safest...when your thinking of replacing it

canyoneer said:
Beautiful! Why was I assuming that I'd be closing the thing up?...
Cause it will get full of airborne dirt? Vegas...hot...dry...dusty...windy...

Soul_Man said:
"Only know can designed not to explode when engulfed in a fire "
from http://www.davidsonproducts.com/products.htm
This translates into "In a fire, the plastic will melt and release all of the gasoline to burn before enough pressure builds up in the can to cause the can to explosively rupture."

At one time I owned and "explosion proof" metal gas can. The can was filled with a metal mesh, and on the outside there was a fusible plug. If it got hot enough in a fire, the fusible plug would melt, releasing the internal pressure. No guarantee that the gasoline would not burn, just that the can itself would not explode from overpressure.

Gasoline vapor is heavier than air so simply leaving a lid off of a tank or can that contained gas can't be relied upon to dissipate the vapors from the gas. O'l Frank Foisy thought it would so he waited a while before going to solder up a tank with a torch. The tank went one way and Frank the other but not fast enough to keep his eyebrows and what little hair he had left on the front of his head. Poor Frank, and we tried to tell him..

I think the best bet is to have the tank full and securely capped. The temperatures in Vegas, though high, shouldn't be high enough to cause an event.

If you're in a hurry, all you have to do is leave the can open after you empty it and stow it upside down for a while. If you have a couple of days you can leave it upright. It WILL evaporate out. I've got several dozen jerry cans between the barn, the shop and the back of rigs. None of the empties have gas vapors residing in them.

Mark...

Tools R Us said:
A full gas can is much safer from an explode stand point, it's the vapors that get you.

Dude the with the price of gas lock that baby up :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom