Gas Can Opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was in the garage working on the cruiser, have been for the last couple of weekends, doing power steering conversion, aussie lockers,changing out steering wheel, new belts hoses etc ...
anyhow, i noticed i was low on fuel, i carry one of those blitz 5 gal metal jerry can's on the back. it sits on that blitz can carrier, so i decide to throw that fuel into the tank and get gas at a later date.

Well, i go out sunday morning to drive the cruiser and it fires right up, i walk across the street to the mail box and on my way back it dies.. ? hmmm i go into the garage and now it won't start. i'm confused :confused:, well after looking into this for like a hour i find out that the fuel is pretty much water .. :eek: . now my cruiser sits in the garage always, so the only thing i can think of is that blitz can must have got condensation built up.. i pump all the fuel out of the tank and replaced with new fuel and bam ,,, it fires right up and runs great... cruiser's don't run on water i guess.

now i'm thinking that metal can needs to go, so my question is, i want to keep that blitz carrier on the back of the cruiser, do they make a plastic can or can someone advise of a can that will sit on the carrier .. it has a lip on the bottom to hold the can... i searched facs and this forum. most threads are about the actual tanks ...

any advice will be appreciated ...

thanks in advance .. :beer:

I bet it was just bad gas, I have used the metal gas cans for years with no problems. If the lid is screwed down tight you should be good. If it makes you feel any better pour about a half bottle of Heat into the can and it will take care of any moisture.

Drum

Hard to believe you got that much condensation into a closed blitz can. How's about someone filled it with water instead of gas?

If the cruiser sat outside i think that someone could have dumped water in, however mine sits inside always. im also thinkin bad gas, now irun premium always.. however that doesn't mean i didnt get some ..

Thanks...

yeah - no way enough water in that can (unless like iDave says - it was all water) to cause that issue. But if you want to sell it, those metal cans will sell :)

anyway, I have 2 of those metal cans on my rig and they are great. They do make plastic Blitz cans - but condensation can form there as well (though never enough to cause that issue).

keep it and roll....

Last edited:
Trick to avoiding condensation in a fuel can is the same as avoiding it in a fuel tank: just keep 'er full.

I'm partial to the Wedco jerrycan. You pretty much have to shoot a hole in one to get it to leak. :D The old surplus ones go for ~$10 apiece around here; new ones are a tad more expensive... My old Swiss surplus cans with the vented spout will dump 20 l of fuel into my tank in about 20 seconds. I'll never use a Blitz can again if I can help it!

I know this is a Rover site, but there's some interesting history here: https://www.expeditionexchange.com/wedco/

I have a couple military surplus scepter-style cans that were only military issue i guess before scepter started selling to outfitters and the public. Wish I had bought all 5 they had as I've never seen them again, except years later when scepter started selling them wider.

Wedco or scepter work well unless you luck out with surplus.

You can still get new Scepter military plastic fuel cans.

I found the best prices at D & B Safety (~$18 +S&H)

-B-

After Hurricane Rita I bought 4 Wedco 20 liter red metal jerry cans with spouts. They are excellent. Check this thread on water/rust issues: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=84784&highlight=Wedco

I bought them from expeditionexchange.com but Generator Joe carries them as well: http://www.generatorjoe.net/info/products/wedco-fuel-gas-cans/

I used to get the rubbermaid Gott plastic cans and they disappeared from the market after the Blitz plastic cheapo's came out. I would never buy one of those based on the spout operation alone.

You will be pleased with Wedco.

Dunbar

I bought a couple of Blitz metal cans and they are terrible. Paint apparently pealing from gasoline and rusting.

The military surplus NATO style are much better. The Scepter cans have held up very well.

I like the idea of the plastic Scepter cans; how does the spout operation compare to that of a Wedco? I left the military before my unit got any of those; we were stuck with the Blitz cans unless we came across a NATO unit naive enough to enough to trade us for their jerry cans...

One of the biggest complaints I had with the Blitz-style cans (other than the rust and constant seal failure) was the CARB-esque slow "glugging" of fuel transfer.

I've got a super siphon (which is awesome), but I do like the fast transfer rate of the Wedco style.

Blitz cans didn't get their s***z nickname for nothing. Also, even if in CA avoid the CARB compliant cans like a plague.

I got all excited at the price B posted and called D&B - the $18 is water cans only. Fuel are $35.

Oops. I bought 3 of the mil-spec water cans. I thought they were all about the same price because others were charging $40+ for the Scepter water cans that D&B sells for $18.

-B-

After Hurricane Rita I bought 4 Wedco 20 liter red metal jerry cans with spouts. They are excellent. Check this thread on water/rust issues: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=84784&highlight=Wedco

I bought them from expeditionexchange.com but Generator Joe carries them as well: http://www.generatorjoe.net/info/products/wedco-fuel-gas-cans/

I used to get the rubbermaid Gott plastic cans and they disappeared from the market after the Blitz plastic cheapo's came out. I would never buy one of those based on the spout operation alone.

You will be pleased with Wedco.

Dunbar

I have a Wedco can that I paid $40 for.
then I paid another $10 for the nozzle.

I was at Checker/Schucks/Kragen, and they have the same can, with a nozzle, for $30. It just doesn't have the Wedco sticker.

You can't tell the difference between the 2 cans.

I was in the garage working on the cruiser, have been for the last couple of weekends, doing power steering conversion, aussie lockers,changing out steering wheel, new belts hoses etc ...
anyhow, i noticed i was low on fuel, i carry one of those blitz 5 gal metal jerry can's on the back. it sits on that blitz can carrier, so i decide to throw that fuel into the tank and get gas at a later date.

Well, i go out sunday morning to drive the cruiser and it fires right up, i walk across the street to the mail box and on my way back it dies.. ? hmmm i go into the garage and now it won't start. i'm confused :confused:, well after looking into this for like a hour i find out that the fuel is pretty much water .. :eek: . now my cruiser sits in the garage always, so the only thing i can think of is that blitz can must have got condensation built up.. i pump all the fuel out of the tank and replaced with new fuel and bam ,,, it fires right up and runs great... cruiser's don't run on water i guess.

now i'm thinking that metal can needs to go, so my question is, i want to keep that blitz carrier on the back of the cruiser, do they make a plastic can or can someone advise of a can that will sit on the carrier .. it has a lip on the bottom to hold the can... i searched facs and this forum. most threads are about the actual tanks ...

any advice will be appreciated ...

thanks in advance .. :beer:
I've been told that metal cans are illegal in Calif., hence the poliferation of plastic. There are cans that fit your metal carriers.;p ;p PS :bounce: Be sure to check your fuel filter for contamination. :bounce:

I had to pull all kinds of warning stickers off of my Wedco cans.

By the way, I only ordered 2 spouts and they sent me 4. I also got a discount for buying 4 cans. Mine were all identical but I could have mixed and matched.

I sent them an email about the extra spouts and they did not respond. Bonus!

I do not have the stores where you got them around here that I know of but I sure like the peace of mind to have enough fuel to drive twice as far as normal with the extra 21.134 gallons.

I do not like to fill them up here in Houston as they now put 10% ethanol in the gas but will do so in advance of another evacuation.

Speaking of, it took me 5 hours to go 5 miles on the back roads near my house in Tomball (NW Houston) as soon as I crossed 2920 I was at highway speeds all the way to my lake house west of Austin, normally a 4 hour drive. Next time I leave earlier and have the cans full if a Hurricane enters the western Gulf.

Dunbar

I have 2 NATO and 2 Israeli surplus metal cans. I really like them
But whatever can you get. This is the best way to get gas from the can to the tank:

DSC05383.jpg

Regards

Alvaro

PD: No affiliation.

X2, the super siphon rocks!

I have 2 NATO and 2 Israeli surplus metal cans. I really like them
But whatever can you get. This is the best way to get gas from the can to the tank:

DSC05383.jpg

Regards

Alvaro

PD: No affiliation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom