Gary's Memorial Fall Run 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AJAEbj42

Gathering Speed....
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.ajae.ca
Today is the first year of the Gary's Fall Run without Gary

We have renamed the run to Gary's Memorial Fall Run

This is a stock and family friendly day trip around the Thursten Loop in the Chilliwack River Valley up Vedder Mtn to the Lookout

Date: Saturday, Oct 24th

Time: 8am at Chilliwack Airport cafe for breakfast for the early risers

10am at the second parking lot up from the Vedder bridge about 500m up the Chilliwack River Valley Road

Daryl Hugh has volunteered to be trail leader and Greg and Norm are cooking smokies for the group.

While this is a stock and family friendly run, please come prepared for extreme cold and snow. Weather changes can occur without warning and the elevation gain is significant.

There are wind forecasts from 40-60km/h from the northeast; it's an arctic outflow, so please dress warmly!

:beer:
20191026_135547.jpg

Last edited:
I am in. Couldn't make it to the Oct 8 meeting. My wife fell down some concrete
steps that day, broke her arm/wrist, and smashed her face against a post. Spent 7 hours in
the emergency ward. She's pretty tough and will recover.
~Bill

I am in. Couldn't make it to the Oct 8 meeting. My wife fell down some concrete
steps that day, broke her arm/wrist, and smashed her face against a post. Spent 7 hours in
the emergency ward. She's pretty tough and will recover.
~Bill

OMG! Sorry to hear that Bill, best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Today is the first year of the Gary's Fall Run without Gary

We have renamed the run to Gary's Memorial Fall Run

This is a stock and family friendly day trip around the Thursten Loop in the Chilliwack River Valley

Date: Saturday, Oct 24th

Time: 8am at Chilliwack Airport cafe for breakfast for the early risers

10am at the second parking lot up from the Vedder bridge about 500m up the Chilliwack River Valley Road

11am at the air down spot just after exiting the Chilliwack River Valley Road and the start of the Chilliwack Bench Road (north of the Chilliwack River)

Due to the possibility of poor weather; an alternate, lower elevation, wheeling location is Vedder Mtn, same meet up spot at 10am.

Daryl Hugh has volunteered to be trail leader and Greg and Norm are cooking smokies for the group.

While this is a stock and family friendly run, please come prepared for cold and snow. Weather changes can occur without warning and the elevation gain is significant.

:beer:

Should we make some contingency plans? Sounds like there may be a wee bit o' snow up there now?

OMG! Sorry to hear that Bill, best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Yes tough or not that is no fun, pass our warm wishes on Bill.

Should we make some contingency plans? Sounds like there may be a wee bit o' snow up there now?

Vedder is the alternate location being lower elevation? As long as someone knows the way to that lookout, we should be good. I'm in the interior right now, so I don't have a view of Vedder if it is also snow covered or not.

Bill, sorry to hear. Please pass on best thoughts for a speedy recovery!

Weather is looking good in the long term, but that's 1.5 weeks away so will assess closer to the date (probably day before) and someone will let everyone know. As Rob mentions, Vedder is the alternative.

Cheers
gb

Thanks guys, she is feeling better already, although looking like a racoon with two black eyes. I'm pretty busy with cooking and housework which never bloody ends...
~Bill

Bill, good to know that she's feeling better. Take care both of you. BTW, I won't be able to make Gary's Fall run. Have fun guys.

Any idea of a head count for this weekend? I have to shop tomorrow or Friday. Will be simple: Smokies and buns, condiemnts, water, maybe bags of chips if I can get a box of small bags. If you have dietary concerns...bring what you need cooked and it can go on the grill.

We'll take a closer look at the mountains on Friday and make the call, but check this forum Saturday morning before you head out for final updates. But in any and all situations...we will be going out somewhere.

gb

I'm in with my wife Kristin. To be determined yet if our 2 daughters are coming... Teens, ya know!?

Yes, we are in contact and coordinating with Daryl.

Cheers
gb

Daryl and I chatted today. As mentioned, final call for location will be made Friday late afternoon. With the precipitation and cold front on Friday, chances are it will be Vedder Mtn on Saturday, but check for updates.

1) Meeting details are the same, no matter location: 08:00 at the Chilliwack Airport Restaurant (I phoned the restaurant and they are open at 07:00 every morning) or at the meeting spot on Chilliwack River Valley Rd for 10:00. If Vedder is on the menu we shall depart from Chilliwack River Valley Rd to the trailhead on Vedder Mtn to air down. Departure time to head to Cultas Lake Rd from the meeting spot on Chilliwack River Valley Rd will be 10:30(ish).

2) If it is Vedder we will have lunch at the lookout, which has a large flat area and spot for a fire. If everyone brings a few sticks of dry wood we all can keep warm while waiting for the smokies to cook.

3) 146.460 will be in use. CB on C4 as well. Neither Daryl or I have a working CB so we will coordinate communications at air down. I believe Norm has both in his rig. Even with radio communication there is expectation all folk will stop at all turns and then proceed when the person behind sees them and knows direction.

4) While it looks like a nice sunny day on Saturday, bring clothing for all weather and have layers for cold weather.

Check Mud late Friday and early Saturday for final updates.

Cheers
gb

Last edited:
There is a weather alert now that says with this rain is also a cold front so expect wet snow above 300 meters. This would now include Vedder. This "may" place Vedder outside the realm of an easy family friendly day.

Wont make the call till we see what accumulation is like, but in the spirit of adapting, check here for updates before you leave in the AM. If everyone is still into a day out we have other spots to spend the day.

Thoughts and ideas?

Cheers
gb

We're still keen, and appears I've talked our girls into joining as well. What options do we have lower down? Anything north of the Mighty Fraser that doesn't go up as high? I'm not familiar with any areas in the valley.
Also, perhaps cross-post on the FB page so that Mr Zuckerberg knows what we're doing ;).

Somebody else can post of FB... :)

Sounds like Daryl is going to do a recce after the rains stops and we'll chat after that.

Our options are many and not limited to:

Chilliwack Bench Rd to Foley Lake for a campfire (This is the fallback which we used a couple years ago when it was snowing up top)

Harrison Lake on the east side by Big Silver, either at the mouth where it comes into the Harrison or further up at the standard camp spot on Big Silver. Awesome spot if Harrison Lake is low enough.

North end of Chahalis Lake via the FSR on the west side of Harrison.

My guess is least chance of snow would be at the mouth of Big Silver. And if we stayed late enough likely a great sunset.

And I would think that snow on Chwk Bench or Mystery Creek would not be a stopper.

But, lets see what Daryl's recce shows.

Cheers
gb

In regards to tomorrow run and social distancing:

1) We'll all be in our own vehicles which does it right there.

2) We will have hand sanitizer out and I will have some gloves (medium is all Lordco had). Suggest folk glove up for making your hotdog as we do not have individual wrapped condiments. And we can maintain social distance to your comfort level outside and around the fire.

3) We've got Costco beef hotdogs, Costco Polish hotdogs and PC smokies. Count is around 40. So will keep cooking till all are full or we run out. Suggest bringing snacks or such, as is good emergency protocol anyway.

4) Will have 24 bottled water for anyone who runs out of water during the day.

Cheers
gb

Daryl says Vedder is a go. There will be a little snow at the lookout (he drove to the lookout and back in his 60 late afternoon today). See 1st post for times and meeting spots #1 and #2. As we have switched from Thurston to Vedder there is no #3.

Does not sound like we will be doing the up and over (connects the ring road) due to snow, so it will be the ring road to the lookout. And if all works out we will exit a different way, up Columbia Valley at bit. Should be all gravel travel and chill: GX friendly.

The look out is on the north side of Vedder, so limited if any sun during the day. So while it looks like a blue sky day...dress warm and bring firewood.

See those who can make it.

Check Mud before you leave in the AM for any final changes. No post...no changes. ;)

gb

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom