Gary's Annual Fall Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gary T is organizing his annual fall day run up Mount Cheam and Mt. Thurston (behind Chilliwack) for sometime later in October when the spectacular autumn leafs are at their peak. Gary is open to suggestions for this event date from CC members. This is a family-friendly day event and we usually meet for breakfast, last year at the Chilliwack Airport Coffee Shop. Bring warm clothing as we sometimes get cold winds up there at the peak, and even light snow. Good tires are a necessity for the mud and slush. Pack a lunch and enjoy the fantastic scenery of the Canadian Border Peaks on the north side and views of the Fraser Valley and Harrison Lake on the north side.

I just read on crackbook that Mount Cheam rd is closed due to maintenance and heavy machinery. It was posted up on BC Toyota 4wd and confirmed by one guy. Maybe someone local to that area can go check first hand and confirm.

10603344_10152634529011421_6113103733060645257_n.jpg

Thanks Mat, we'll have to keep our eye on that one.
We're looking at another 6 weeks before we go, so maybe it will be open by that time.

And another (from Jeff, thanks Jeff).

Bill, if you're talking to Gary, CC picks up the tab for the smokies and buns for that run. Just ask him to keep the receipt.
Cheam Thursten Run Oct 19 2013.png

My vote is any Saturday or Sunday not on the Thanksgiving Long Weekend.

Road is open today.

Will this trip be stock truck friendly? I did just buy new tires; so that is a plus. Looking to finally join you guys, on one of your adventures.

Will this trip be stock truck friendly? I did just buy new tires; so that is a plus. Looking to finally join you guys, on one of your adventures.

Yes, it's a stock and family friendly run. But having said that, it is a high mountain trail late in the year. We have run into snow in the past. So always be prepared.

IMG_20140913_135609.jpg
Took the family for a hike up Cheam on Saturday. The excavator is now near the parking lot for Cheam. There seem to be a lot more drainage (or washout) ditches now that were created by the excavator. I passed 5 vehicles on the way up. On the way down I put the t-case in low as the constant braking for the ditches were wearing the brakes even with constant pumping.

Snowpeak,
You have nice, shiny red paint. I don't know if you care, but BC pinstriping is probably in the cards for you on the trail down and some sections of the plateau. Or it might be cleared, but I just thought you should know. I don't have nice paint and I don't care; therefore it's really liberating when you hear the alders caressing and squeaking along the sides of your truck but it doesn't bother you at all :)
-Justin

...The overgrowth is not nearly as bad as it used to be. The trail down from the ridge was cleared out by the snowmobile club a couple seasons ago, though some of the ridge is a little tight still. With careful driving you should be able to keep the paint pretty shiny, and any pinstripes you attain can either be buffed out or worn as a badge of 4x4ing honour;)

My truck used to be shiny...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom