Gary Spots Marlin on the Wedgie (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gofast

SILVER Star
Threads
Just got back from Cruise Moab and I wheeled Poison Spider with Marlin - Marlin Crawler - off road royalty. When we got to the meet up before the run Glenn recognized him and jumped out of the truck all stoked to meet him. He wasn't alone in that! Marlin sponsored the run and I ended up with a t-shirt - only 20 were ever handed out. Very down to earth guy, talked trucks and his wife was along for the ride too.

Glenn and Gary came as passengers with me and I was grateful for the Moab veteran advice. Greg was with us too but not on the ride. I was so excited to have wheeled with Marlin that Gary suggested I get him to sign my shirt. I thought he should sign my arm, just so the tattoo artist could trace over it.

I will get shirts made though, capturing the line of the day - "Well, you're committed now!"

Gary was rock solid and spotted me through the Wedgie - and then he spotted 20 trucks through. I'd trust him any day!

IMG_1178_zpsnsgffqhx.jpg

Me going through

IMG_1169_zps0xy7lice.jpg

Gary Spotting Marlin:

IMG_1177_zpsxla4lw6i.jpg

IMG_1185_zpskqdefcjx.jpg

IMG_1186_zps7bte2tvy.jpg

IMG_1187_zpsbmefdwwo.jpg

Stock 80 with 33's - no locker
IMG_1175_zpsga4n0psq.jpg

IMG_1176_zpsk3u1pysg.jpg

Not a lot of clearance

IMG_1184_zps4qjb6zls.jpg

IMG_1183_zpsgm9s3zon.jpg

The 4Runner scraped up pretty good on the trail and the guy was a little upset about it.

Jason's bumper did its job for me.

I will do up a full report on the trip in another thread but this trail made me learn what my 80 can really do and after 20 years of wheeling, things that we'd never attempt on the coast, or only completed with a controlled winch pull, are a piece of cake in Moab! I climbed a 70 degree slope in the 80! Pucker factor was pretty high - especially going over the little dip that pushed you out and back just before you broke over the top.

I just wanted to post up what I thought was the coolest thing, Gary matter-of-factly piloting us through this obstacle. Of course pictures are never like real life. Much more challenging than it looks.

John

Last edited:
One of the obstacles

IMG_1218_zpsjpeqeqrm.jpg

IMG_1179_zpshkexvlte.jpg

IMG_1180_zpsbvaczedr.jpg

I'm running 35's so I must have 35 inches of travel

IMG_1208_zpsgar20ytu.jpg
\\\

IMG_1192_zpsdfe4ncu6.jpg

IMG_1201_zpsn7qxdepz.jpg

IMG_1158_zpscboy1jsf.jpg

IMG_1156_zpslvzqk6hq.jpg

IMG_1152_zps0nk4wjsr.jpg

John, it was a pleasure watching and hearing your excitement every time you got back to camp! Pretty addicting eh.

That whole area is.
gb

Absolutely! Next year is the 20th anniversary of Cruise Moab and I'll get there for it!

It was great being with John and reliving the giddy excitement of the first year I was there with Drew. World class wheeling down there. I will be there in CM2017

Lots of steep stuff ...

steepGB.jpg.jpg

That 74 seems like its hanging there!

That was freaker part - in addition to the steep grades - off camber traction was just fine too.

Well.... y'all come on down now !

Wow, looks like a great time...need to get their next year...

Hung with Marlin at Texas Round Up, we shared a Cabin and drove from the airport a couple hours to the meet....I just sat there and listened to all his stories, that man has done a lot of neat things in his life...

We worked on Nicks rig one day and they had not seen rusty parts, I showed Marlin some Canadian tricks to loosen off these pesky bits.....:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom