Gary Rigby, AKA: 80BREAKER, GARRY@80BREAKER.COM BUYER BEWARE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All, my advice is STAY AWAY from Garry Rigby in the UK. I'm currently parting out a 1HD-T which I invested approximately $5,500 to get imported from the UK to the US. Garry assured me that the engine was "from a running driving vehicle" and he allegedly drives all his stuff around before parting them. WRONG!! After testing it, I determined the following compression numbers for cylinders 1-6: 200psi, 20psi, 540psi, 520psi, 200psi, 330 psi. My guess is the #2 piston has a very good sized hole in it and there's NO WAY this was running. What am I going to do now? Send it back? not likely. And after months of back and forth emails about other issues I'm not even going to try. Dealing with him has been an expensive learning experience.

In addition to this mess, I paid for parts (front driveshaft and 24 volt starter) which I never received. Garry basically refused to make it right and never sent me the parts. Nor did he offer to reimburse me the roughly $250 USD he just pocketed. His communication is horrible once an issue comes up. On top of that, the small "used parts" I received from him are more or less totally worn out. The guy is selling JUNK.

With all that said, I did receive a 24 valve 1HD-FT from him which runs well.....after I replaced all the worn out components on an engine that looked like it took a salt water bath every Sunday. If you deal with him, go in with both eyes open.

Right on the money.

I bought all my parts from him for my 5 speed conversion and everything needed tweaking.

Both drive shafts had junk u joints, the shifter knobs looked like they were in a muddy swamp, my t case shifter was completely seized and had to heat the living s*** out of it to take it apart. Not to mention the interior trim pieces were very filthy.

And to top it all off the pallet he sent went to Toronto instead of Calgary where I am. So I had to arrange trucking to get it here the rest of the way. But, to give Garry credit he DID send me money to reimburse me for the money we had to spend on the extra trucking.

Overall wouldn't use again because the risk is too high.

Hi All
He is bad news , got everything that 80 needs as he break them apart from decency or integrity, be careful as he now claim he has the ability to fix them in his workshop , i had a problem with my 80 I thought it was the front Axle that was rebuilt by a friend, i transferred him £700 for a replacement axle he suggested to fix it and arranged for a tow truck to bring it to him (£160) he claimed that the problem was the transfer box and that he installed a replacement box. On the phone he claimed she is as good as new come and get her. I parted company with another £250 cash that he demanded. On the way home the transfer box was wining. I took her to local guy that is expert on 4x4 he placed her on the ramp - said the transfer box is making noises on the front end , I contacted Garry that stated bring her over and we will check it out. He joined me in the car the wining noise started he then claimed its the front axle and to prove his point took me for a drive in his. I could not hear any wining noises. he refused point blank to place the 80 on his rump and told me to F.... off . i was shocked £1000 gone in smoke and I was towed by him out of his yard with a digger and faced a locked gate that he opened just before the police arrived. he is really bad news stay clear.

I'm actually surprised more folks haven't posted on this thread, thanks for sharing your story. I bought a transfer case from him at the time of my swap and the CDL actuator was COMPLETLY toast. When I removed it from the case, it was full of water and rust. I never did receive hundreds of dollars worth of parts that I'd paid for and he never reimbursed me the money, just kept it.

Dr Molotov tonthe white courtesy phone.

WOW.... is he really this unreliable and untrustworthy??? if so iv quite literally just text him to ask about a replacement A442F gearbox for my 80 series....

Well.....I'm actually surprised that more people haven't posted their experiences. The bottom line is you "might" be OK buying from him but I'd consider it a huge gamble. I'm still running the FT/H151F/HF2A case I got from him although they all received a LOT of attention. The HF2A required multiple flushes to clear up all the nasty old oil that was stuck in it and of course there was the CDL motor which was shot.

Recently, I discovered that the spare injection pump Garry sent me (which I repeatedly told him needed to be from an FT engine) turned out to be from an HD-T. How nice, so now that's worthless and of course he didn't sell that cheap either.

I did just do an oil analysis on the FT and it came back perfect. That was on a 3K mile interval and I've driven that engine over 35K now since I swapped it. Again though, when I got it, it was nowhere near ready to bolt in and drive. I've done the timing belt, injectors, IP, every gasket..... you get the idea.

I have been there several times and bought a few small things. He knows the cars very well, and he does fix things up like axles taken apart, painted and restored.
The cars he gets in often come from farmers, and they look like farm trucks. Dirty and rusty. Often the engines have been run on the veg oil which I believe tends to clog up the system, esp the fuel pumps.
So you take your chances. Dont expect the stuff you get to be ready to install, it will probably need some work

Last edited:
Bought a conversion manual to auto, got it shipped to Zambia, and guess what it's a auto to manual conversion the guy sent me, that's £1860 plus shipping gone up in smoke, Gary has not responded at all, KEEP AWAY FROM THIS GUY, HE'S GONNA RIP YOU

Bought a conversion manual to auto, got it shipped to Zambia, and guess what it's a auto to manual conversion the guy sent me, that's £1860 plus shipping gone up in smoke, Gary has not responded at all, KEEP AWAY FROM THIS GUY, HE'S GONNA RIP YOU
Dang. That’s friggin’ awful, sorry

I hope everyone can spread this message about 80breaker on other forums as well.
Same here spent £1600 with Gary for a injector pump (£400), turbo (£350) and a number of other parts. I was insured in writing that I would be sent an injector pump and turbo for a 24 valve (they are different for a 12 valve) diesel. Both parts I received were for a 12 valve and could not be installed. In addition, the turbo was very rusty and not working so could not be sold. on to someone else. In addition, parts for £250 were missing. I tried to speak to and email Gary many time but communication was very bad and it was clear that Gary was not going correct the mistakes. I could only use parts for about £300 of what I ordered and never received the missing parts. I am surprised that the company is allowed to stay in business given UK has quite good consumer protection. As others said stay away unless you can go there an pick up the parts in person.

@Felix Spain, what happened to you is nearly EXACTLY what happened to me. I repeatedly told Garry I needed a 24 valve injection pump and I got a 12 valve one. Worthless. It's still sitting on my shelf somewhere. I also paid for a bunch of spare parts that he never bothered to put in the shipping crate. He quit communicating after getting paid.

Sorry for reviving an old thread. I need to rebuild the front diff in my '93 UK model Diesel/Manual/Locker 80. It is whining and beyond lash adjustment according to my drivetrain shop. The axle code on the firewall plate reads K304, which I believe means it is a 3.727 ratio axle. I was about to order from him. Any ideas on another source for diff parts for this project?

I get almost all my parts from a company just outside Barcelona. They sell parts, repair and restore cars, and have most parts for HDJ80s (and HDJ100s) and the owner David is one of the most knowledge people I met in this space and service minded. Also speak fluent English. Contacts: David, +34 665 26 87 70 (uses WhatsApp), davidff@gmail.com. Probably also worth considering that parts from southern Europe usually will be relatively rust free, whilst from the UK, well.... (no offense to the UK, I lived there for 15 years and consider myself almost half-British but the weather is not kind to car parts)

Also, I had the diff redone on one of my cars and from memory the pinion is slightly different for auto/manual also depending on whether the car has the front/rear diff locks. I could be wrong but best to check when you order parts.

Last edited:
I get almost all my parts from a company just outside Barcelona. They sell parts, repair and restore cars, and have most parts for HDJ80s (and HDJ100s) and the owner David is one of the most knowledge people I met in this space and service minded. Also speak fluent English. Contacts: David, +34 665 26 87 70 (uses WhatsApp), davidff@gmail.com. Probably also worth considering that parts from southern Europe usually will be relatively rust free, whilst from the UK, well.... (no offense to the UK, I lived there for 15 years and consider myself almost half-British but the weather is not kind to car parts)

Also, I had the diff redone on one of my cars and from memory the pinion is slightly different for auto/manual also depending on whether the car has the front/rear diff locks. I could be wrong but best to check when you order parts.

Thanks for listing David’s contact!

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom