Garrett 2052 install on a 3B w/pics and video (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You said the CT26 is a bad choice for the 3B why? Arent other people putting these on their 3B's? What makes the 2052 that much better that you would swap? Where did you get the 2052 and what was the price for that?

Is the CT26 in good shape?

You said the CT26 is a bad choice for the 3B why? Arent other people putting these on their 3B's? What makes the 2052 that much better that you would swap? Where did you get the 2052 and what was the price for that?

Is the CT26 in good shape?

From what other MUD members have said on here, the CT26 turbo is just too big. The little 3B never gets up enough RPM to effectively spool up the turbo enough where you see the gains. Being that it originally came from a gas engine where the rpm's build faster thats where you would see the advantage.
Now on the highway I was getting about 5-7lbs (where the RPM's were at their highest), but in the low range like going off road and such, it never really spools up.
Some others have had luck with it, perhaps there is something that can be done, im just not that intelligent :lol:

The 2052 is considerably smaller and spools up straight away without having to bury your foot. The difference in the two are night and day.

PM Dougal or Diesel42 if your serious about it. Diesel42 put most of the kit together, he would beable to help you out further if you decide to go down this route.

Roberto .... I will talk to him, but I dont think it will be possible to make another one. He kind of did it on the fly with no templates or anything. He would most likely need the turbo to adjust the fit.
There was alot of re-adjusting and re-welding in order to get this one right! I'll ask him though and get back to you.

thanks, I have the template and will try a weld shop that has some CNC machines as well for I am going to put engine back in and new exhaust as well but need one so will see.

R

thanks, I have the template and will try a weld shop that has some CNC machines as well for I am going to put engine back in and new exhaust as well but need one so will see.

R

Give Keith (Diesel42) a bell. I believe he has a machine-shop and he was the first to fit one of these turbos.:)

NEW VIDEO!

New video for your viewing pleasure!

YouTube - Driving my new turbo 3B

Hard to tell from the video quality, but it moves pretty good now!!

Let me know what you think

That's awesome Dan, it really works well doesn't it. Quick spool and boost, egt's are down, looks great. Did you go straight 2-1/2" exhaust or did you end up putting in a muffler,just curious? Hell of alot cheeper than the Aussie kits with the new technology turbo as they are still using the old style and taping there fuel and drain lines into the vacuum pump. Great to know how well it works compared to the old system.

That's awesome Dan, it really works well doesn't it. Quick spool and boost, egt's are down, looks great.

X2 it raise and get full boost pretty fast .. ! congrats ..

Thanks Lynch, ive got more evolving for the old girl still to come!
Got some ARB goodies in the works and just received some Damplifier Pro from Second Skin and some Quietcrap as a present to myself! (Summer project)
Stay tuned for updates.

Hey Keith, thanks for the compliment, it came out real purdy!
The exhaust is a 2-1/2" straight through but I left the muffler on for now, just didnt get a chance to remove it.

great thread!

just thought you might like to see my exhaust set-up...same turbo.

i think i may have a bit more room as the exhaust manifold was (home) made with the turbo mount more forward than most. this gave room for a 3" system.

btw, i'm wastegated at 15 lbs. no probs.
IMG_3970.jpg

Where did you source the Garrett 2052, what is your max boost and how much do you have your fuel turned up?

Where did you source the Garrett 2052, what is your max boost and how much do you have your fuel turned up?

Hey Rob, got it through Diesel42 on here, came direct from Garrett.
Boost is at 10lbs at the moment, may increase it slightly.
Not sure how to tell you what its turned up to - I guess I could take a picture for you!

Duckling ... flex pipe is further down - you cant see it in the pic, but its there.

maybe i missed it but what manifold are you running on there?

maybe i missed it but what manifold are you running on there?

I'm pretty sure he's running a 13BT manifold with one of Diesel42's adapter plates.

From what other MUD members have said on here, the CT26 turbo is just too big. The little 3B never gets up enough RPM to effectively spool up the turbo enough where you see the gains. Being that it originally came from a gas engine where the rpm's build faster thats where you would see the advantage.

The CT26 was used on the 2.2L Camry diesel and the 2.4L 2LT diesel. Can it really be too big for a 3B?

Different rotors perhaps, and the Camry one was not water-cooled and had a BOV, but some people complain that the stock CT26 is too small for the 2LT!

On the other hand one guy up here put a Camry CT26 on his 2LT and got dramatic power gains, or at least a much faster spool up, while it had a bit less guts at higher rpms.

Arent those motors fitted with a CT20? The smallest engine with a CT26 is a 13BT I believe?

Bingo! Been too long for me obviously! :eek:

Arent those motors fitted with a CT20? The smallest engine with a CT26 is a 13BT I believe?

The CT9 was used on some smaller toyota diesels.
The current 2.2 toyota diesel uses a garrett GT1749V. This is the D4D sold throughout europe. Essentially half of the 200 series cruiser V8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom