Garage/Shop Heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tis the season. I finally need to drop the dime and get some heat in my garage.

What are you all using? Recommendations? Anyone in the industry that could chime in?

It's a 4-car so I am thinking 100-125K BTU forced air unit.

I'd go with a radiant tube style system if you can afford it, much more effecient heat. Forced air is what I've got in our shop and it never gets really warm and comfortable to work in. You loose all the heat everytime a door opens.

haystax said:
I'd go with a radiant tube style system if you can afford it, much more effecient heat. Forced air is what I've got in our shop and it never gets really warm and comfortable to work in. You loose all the heat everytime a door opens.

We have three of the tube style radiant heaters in a large 6 bay shop and they are great. I can keep the shop warmer than I keep my house if all the bay doors stay shut and with opening them several times an hour we still can keep it comfortable.

75k BTU HotDawg in my 4-car....works awesome, runs off a 100gal propane tank.

I'm out there in a t-shirt today, temps are +15ish...

How does that hot dawg draw/circulate air? I have a woodshop in part of my garage, what about dust? I need heat in there badly.

I have an old oil burning furnace that was in mine when I bought the place. I would suggest staying away from this form of heat. as long as the doors stay shut it will warm the place up to around 50 or 60 in a couple hours time, on a 15 - 20 degree day. My step dad has a wood burner in his garage that's probably twice the size of my garage and it warms it up faster and better. Just my 2 cents....

i have never owned a radiant floor heat system, but i have worked in shops with the radiant floor heat, i was about an hour or so south of the alaskan border working on logging trucks, the bay door would open to the outside at -35c and in one truck would pull and out the other side another would drive.. in about 4 minutes the room would be t shirt weather again, to me it was the best thing ever and the shop was huge. the stove that heated the inslab coolant lines was fueled by wood. im sure you can repour a few inches or so ontop of your existing slab to encapsulate the pipes. anyways just a thought, its what i would try for.

I think I'm going with the one Woody has but only 45. Don't have much choice based on what's in the garage. Need something that doesn't go against the wall, and something that won't blow up the O/P setup I have in the garage.

woody said:
75k BTU HotDawg in my 4-car....works awesome, runs off a 100gal propane tank.
I'm out there in a t-shirt today, temps are +15ish...

How many hours per gallon do you get, or......how often do you have to fill/change the tank?

My brother in law gave me a 65,000 btu hotdawg and one nice thing is the clear working distances. One inch from the top and non access side and 18 inches from the back and access pannel. I have one with forced exhaust so I vented it out the back and didn't have to go through the roof.

foxfab said:
and whats everyone have for insulation with these heaters? I dont have any insulation in my shop :(

Yup, that's the first step. Putting some in next weekend. Eventually will replace the pos cheap 30 yr old garage doors too.

I've got one of these in my garage and I really like it. Kept it on when we were down around zero this past week. It sure was nice getting in my 80 when it wasn't freezing. :cool:
enerco_garage_heater2.jpg

I have been using 220V electric ceiling radiant heating panels. They are 2'x8'...but available in different sizes/output. I am a wood worker so I did not want to go with a flame type heater due to the dust/combustion potential (not to mention other flammables in the garage)...nor did I have a gas line that was rated for the total feed volume of the house with a garage heater. Works well for me.

Enerjoy is the manufacturer...

http://www.sshcinc.com/EJ I.htm

my HotDawg has forced venting too....nice....

I fill the 100#'er 2x per year at $70ish per fill....course, keeping the temp at 60 and only running it when I need it helps too.....

my shop is fully insulated too, which also helps.

If yer messin with dust, I'll blow it around....the vents are adjustable tho, so it may depend on where you point them. I do turn mine off when I'm welding too, since the air will make a mess of the shielding gas....

Hmm, thanks for the input guys. We have a huge overgoods/lost freight warehouse here, I am hoping I may get lucky soon and find something that can work.

I have looked into the Hot Dawg, Reznor has something it too. Either way, I NEED HEAT!

I've heard some scary things about the radiant heaters with fire issues....but if I do go that route, a licensed person will be installing it anyway.

I use a ventfree natural gas wall heater purchased from Home Depot. My garage is fully insulated so it'll take about an hour to get to 60 deg F, regardless of how cold it is outside. If there's a hot engine in the garage, then it warms up faster. There're enough leaks around the doors and such to replace the O2 that's being eaten up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom