Garage Security (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Found myself looking into this after reading about several vehicles (and other goodies) that were stolen from garages while their owners slept. Obviously, simple door switches and motion detectors can set off an alarm, so it seems pretty easy to make it impossible to enter the garage without tripping an alarm. (Don't forget pet doors, ventilation grates and the like.) The goal here is to make it noisy to get in. Hopefully that scares them off, or you do. (Those who may trip the alarm WAITING for you to show up, well, that's another kettle of fish--and happens with vehicles parked in the driveway as well. Fortunately this seems to be rare.)

Turns out there are some interesting garage entry techniques, many of which involve simply slipping a coat hanger etc. through the crack in the top and snagging the emergency release handle. Some fish a wire into the mechanism itself. The door can then be quietly lifted by hand--assuming there's no alarm, of course. Uncovered windows in the door make this even easier. Hell, maybe they can just bust out the window and reach in a hand.

Countermeasures include shortening the rope, removing the handle, putting a plastic pipe over the robe, and zip-tying the hole in the mechanism itself (which, it should be noted, could prevent YOU from opening the door in an emergency). Also 'shield locks' that block direct access to the release mechanism and cord/handle. There are side-locks for use on the tracks. You could always put something in the way of the overhead chain-track, to keep the door from moving upward. But if they can get the door up just a little, someone can slide under.

Ultimately of course, if they want the door open, they're gonna get it open. A jack will just buckle/rip the door apart, no matter what you do on the inside. (A roped tied to a bumper will do the trick in a pinch.) But the slower and louder you can make things, the better your chances of deterrence. Consider simple, cheap alarms that go off if any door or window moves an inch. Also consider a motion detector; I've read of at least once theft where the bad guys went in (and out) through the rear wall. No, they didn't steal a car, but they got a lot of other stuff.

Ideally, have a buried and/or backup power source for the alarm system; many garages have an obvious bundle of wires coming in at the roof; cut that, and alarms fall silent (unless you're wired to trigger on power loss). Cover the garage windows to prevent window-shopping. If your garage door faces the street, try not to have it look like a showroom by keeping the door open (or make sure there's no direct view of whatever tools etc. might attract the most attention). Keep it buttoned up when workmen visit you or neighbors etc., so far as that's possible. Put a camera (hopefully working) and maybe a motion-triggered light outside the garage, with one of those little smile-for-the-camera signs.

Any other thoughts?

More threads for the security-minded...

When I lived in SoCal, I got this Ravelco, now that I live in Colorado I don't feel I need it so much.
I feel very secure having this in my LC

When I lived in SoCal, I got this Ravelco, now that I live in Colorado I don't feel I need it so much.
I feel very secure having this in my LC
Yeah I like those. Have to wire it up to lines that have no current flowing when the truck is off, though, or they can figure it out with a meter. Assuming they thought to bring one, and have the time.

You could anchor a steel plate to the garage floor that has a steel hook of some sort. Then chain the truck to the hook.
Interesting; that'll slow things down/noise it up, if there are no bolt cutters handy. Better make sure it won't start too, though. And no slack, or the vehicle's weight can be used against it assuming it's not bumped with another vehicle). I like it, though; already thinking of spinoffs. Has the advantage of being unexpected and therefore unprepared-for. (On their first visit, anyway.) Have to balance convenience if it's a daily-use thing.

Last edited:
If that means me:

Nah; I just live in L.A...

Depending on the tech you get, they really know their stuff. Start to finish with my Tech was 30 minutes.

This thread oozes 80-series tech.
Quite right: 'Attach other end of chain to 80 Series Land Cruiser...' There. Fixed it.

I really like my ring cameras.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom