Garage or carport options for FJ40 in So-CA weather (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I live in an area that gets a lot of rain in the winter time. After adding to the legs on my canopy I did not add any length to the sides, leaving the bottom 2 ft open. I left the front and north sides open also, and I never noticed any moisture problems unusual to my area. The front was facing west (let rain blow in), and the rain almost always comes from the south/southwest here.The canopy top kept anything from dropping down on the trailer, and the breeze/wind seemed to keep any moisture blown away.

Don

I am voting for tent garage. At night, it will still not be as open as a car port and lessen the moisture that would be around the vehicle. Just use ebay and type "portable garage".

See, I should have made a poll! That is my thought, but only because I can't build a real garage right now.

I live in an area that gets a lot of rain in the winter time. After adding to the legs on my canopy I did not add any length to the sides, leaving the bottom 2 ft open. I left the front and north sides open also, and I never noticed any moisture problems unusual to my area. The front was facing west (let rain blow in), and the rain almost always comes from the south/southwest here.The canopy top kept anything from dropping down on the trailer, and the breeze/wind seemed to keep any moisture blown away.

Don

Again, thanks, your information was very helpful and right along the lines I was thinking. It's really not the rain I'm worried about, though. For rain, a roof will keep it dry and usually things dry up when the storm passes. It's more the humidity that keeps things wet, whether under shelter or not. But if you have a lot of rain, I imagine you have moist air too. So that makes me feel better about it. I don't yet know where the prevailing winds are in this area, but I assume from the coast or the north. I know that in the fall there can be some serious wind from the east (Santa Ana), but this is dry air from the desert, no moisture to worry about. I do have a spot on the south side of the garage that is about 10 feet wide, very protected on both sides with the garage and plants on the other side. I was originally planning to build a carport there, but it's right on the property line and didn't want to direct too much water onto neighbor's lot. Because with a roof there, it will be all the water from the carport AND all the runoff from the garage roof. But it is a perfect pull through spot I can come at from either side and I can leave the ends open to make a tunnel. With the roof having a peak in the middle instead of fall following the existing garage, most of the runoff will land along my garage, and I can put a gutter on that side if necessary.

So, I think I will see if I can find a reasonable quality tent at a reasonable price and save my bucks to build a proper garage in the future. I suppose I just have to get realistic about it and do the best I can do for my truck with the budget and time I have. If we move, a garage will be a requirement. if we stay, I will build a garage or by then my business may be needing to move to commercial space anyway. But then I have the problem of my 40 not fitting in garage with the roof rack. So keep your eyes out for me posting a new thread in a year with roof rack options that fit in a standard garage!

Thanks for all the input here, folks. I'll update when I get something done here.

I do have a spot on the south side of the garage that is about 10 feet wide, very protected on both sides with the garage and plants on the other side. I was originally planning to build a carport there, but it's right on the property line and didn't want to direct too much water onto neighbor's lot. Because with a roof there, it will be all the water from the carport AND all the runoff from the garage roof. But it is a perfect pull through spot I can come at from either side and I can leave the ends open to make a tunnel. With the roof having a peak in the middle instead of fall following the existing garage, most of the runoff will land along my garage, and I can put a gutter on that side if necessary.

A very good thing about using a non-permanent structure in the area you describe is you will not have to deal with any county building permits or variances. Very likely (don't know CA laws) you would need a permit, or at minimum a variance, to build anything that comes within 5 ft of your property line.

Don

I have 3 costco tarports. They hold up well even in WA, I replace the tops every 2 years with a tarp of the correct size(harbor freight or other). None of mine have gone anyplace even in 50mph winds, held down with just some huge (16" or so) nails. Friend of mine had one he added a wood floor to, he parks a corvette in it.

They don't look the best but the price is right and they sure save a cruiser.

Gonna put up a new shop and some of those metal carports(which you can add sides and doors too if wanted (20x20x9) about $1500) to park the drivers.

budget? you can get a pretty sizable carport for $2K via Elephantbuildings. Customer service/delivery reviews kind of suck for them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom