Garage Floor Finishing Recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Another request for recommendations for a pro to come out and apply either epoxy or polyurea to my 420ft2 garage floor.

Planned on doing this myself but got way to many projects going on so I can either have a pro do the floor or install a lift. I am more comfortable doing the lift myself.

Appreciate any feedback on contractors that serve MD.

TIA

I had this company do a similar sized garage floor in my old house. Loved the finish. Floor still looked new 8 years after application. I did not have any issues with peeling or flaking. I even power washed it a few times

I’ve thought about doing that to my floor. How’s it hold up to sparks from welding, grinding and cutting? My guess is not great but it is an epoxy.

I have used the Home Depot stuff on my last two, add sand to add grip and the flakes to make it sparkle. Mine is a shop but it makes clean up better. I use brake clean or simple green to clean up spills and laundry detergent when cleaning really good. I have over 16 years total on both floors. You need to prep the floor good first.

I did my floor way back 20 years ago when I restored my 40 in a two-car garage in Norfolk Virginia and I used some home Depot Rust-Oleum I think, paint on stuff and it was surprisingly good. It stood up to welding sparks and oven cleaner as a degreaser. If I recall the two part epoxy stuff is the most resilient and best for a garage That's also a shop

I’ve thought about doing that to my floor. How’s it hold up to sparks from welding, grinding and cutting? My guess is not great but it is an epoxy.

I did a pro epoxy on my workshop floor about twenty years ago too. The paint was grey with no paint chips in it. It has brown marks from welding, chips out of it from stones under tires, gouges where I slid things across the floor, and a number of other imperfections. If it is mainly a "garage" I'd consider epoxy. If it is mainly a "workshop" I'd just go with a hardener and sealer if I had to do it again.

The prep is the key to whatever you are going to lay down I would suggest a hot water pressure wash with a strong sodium hydroxide based cleaner followed up by a stiff brush letting it dry then muriatic acid treating the concrete then a epoxy based floor coating.

The prep is the key to whatever you are going to lay down I would suggest a hot water pressure wash with a strong sodium hydroxide based cleaner followed up by a stiff brush letting it dry then muriatic acid treating the concrete then a epoxy based floor coating.
Take that to the bank, from the master of grease cutting.

Just be sure to check dryness after pressure washing a floor. You introduce a lot of moisture into a slab doing that. Tape down a piece of 24"x24" clear plastic, wait 24 hours, and if there is any condensation under it at that point the concrete is still wet.

I did a pro epoxy on my workshop floor about twenty years ago too. The paint was grey with no paint chips in it. It has brown marks from welding, chips out of it from stones under tires, gouges where I slid things across the floor, and a number of other imperfections. If it is mainly a "garage" I'd consider epoxy. If it is mainly a "workshop" I'd just go with a hardener and sealer if I had to do it again.

When I put epoxy on my garage floor twenty years ago, the instructions recommended using muriatic acid. It is still there twenty years later.

There is a "gelled" concrete acid available which will make the etching process much less hazardous.

I'm using this stuff on my power-troweled garage floor to give the tile mortar something to bite into.

I wear a charcoal mask, but the fumes aren't bad at all. No splashing. Easy to clean up the residue. Only real downside is cost.

I'm getting about 120-180 grit on the concrete after one application. A second will get down to maybe 80. There is a more-powerful gel available if you need to get a really aggressive profile.

Thanks all for the input. Think I am back to doing it myself, can't stomach $5-6/sqft. Everyone must be busy too b/c I didn't get responses from half the places.

@ace10 Thanks garageflooringllc is one of the companies I was looking at to buy the epoxy from. That gel looks good.

Other brands of DIY kits I am looking at if anyone is interested or has used before:

AlphaGarage - DIY epoxy floor coatings - Got a quote from these guys who use Wolverine products

Prices differ a good amount but all reviews are positive on garagejournal for each product. I will probably go with the cheapest one.

At the other end of the spectrum this guy used supercoat from Sams club, water based epoxy and he had good results. I could get 2 full kits for half of the price of the above.

When I put epoxy on my garage floor twenty years ago, the instructions recommended using muriatic acid. It is still there twenty years later.

Yep. Followed all the instructions - and it is still there, but not without the described imperfections from twenty years of abuse from a working shop.

How’s the garage coming along? It was looking sweet the last time I dropped by

@fjman Still working on it along with a dozen other house projects. Hope to have the floors done in the next few weeks, followed by a lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom