Game changer for Travel in the FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Many years ago I thought I found a post where someone used a generic aluminum tig welded tank from summit, an OEM dual filler neck, and an electric fuel pump tied to a switch to refill his main tank when it got low. Sure it wasn't the most elegant solution but it was no where close to even $1000 in parts and had about the same amount of capacity as three jerry cans.

Usually I make notes for myself but for some reason I didn't bookmark the thread or document anything.

This seems like one of those projects that I think I could do for less. But once complete and the wife's asks how much I saved after spending all those hours doing research and fabbing pieces. I just give her the blank deer in the headlight stare and crumble up all the receipts real fast.

4 nato Jerry cans - $10ea and some left over sandpaper and a few $5 cans o rattle can paint later.....$50 gets 24 gallons and to pull over and drop a fresh 22 gallons in. Bonus is its modular and i dont need to carry em around when not needed.
This is 20 gallons at 5 gallons each. This tank filled to 26 when empty. Plus where do I put these cans. 2 on the swing out and 2 on the roof? Wouldn't fit with my RTT and it would make my center of gravity higher. Filling would not make the wife happy either, hold on honey, lets pull over so I can pull another 5 gallon off the roof, then the kids start crying to get out, I let them out cuz I'm tired of their whining, I'm watching them like a hawk so they don't run out in traffic, my 4 year old wants to climb up on the roof with me, then wants to poor the gas and spills it everywhere, I finally get them back in the truck with gas all over them and me, where they refuse to put on their seatbelts, I have to put them on for them, and then they scream for 20 minutes that they wanted to put their own seatbelts on, we get headaches from the fumes and screaming, then the wife wins the argument, we sell the FJ and we end up buying a Sienna Minivan. I'm not doing it man.
Many years ago I thought I found a post where someone used a generic aluminum tig welded tank from summit, an OEM dual filler neck, and an electric fuel pump tied to a switch to refill his main tank when it got low. Sure it wasn't the most elegant solution but it was no where close to even $1000 in parts and had about the same amount of capacity as three jerry cans.

Usually I make notes for myself but for some reason I didn't bookmark the thread or document anything.
I did actually measure the space where the spare goes and started looking at ebay aluminum tanks. It started to get into fabrication as the filler was never in the right spot, never came to fruition. It looked like a better idea to fabricate my own, but I would never have the time for that.

Filler parts are here:
https://shop.cruiserparts.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_5608_3728_3845

Last edited:
hold on honey, lets pull over so I can pull another 5 gallon off the roof, then the kids start crying to get out, I let them out cuz I'm tired of their whining, I'm watching them like a hawk so they don't run out in traffic, my 4 year old wants to climb up on the roof with me, then wants to poor the gas and spills it everywhere, I finally get them back in the truck with gas all over them and me, where they refuse to put on their seatbelts, I have to put them on for them, and then they scream for 20 minutes that they wanted to put their own seatbelts on, we get headaches from the fumes and screaming, then the wife wins the argument, we sell the FJ and we end up buying a Sienna Minivan.

We just finished a week long camping/road trip in the 80 with our 5 and 2 year olds and you captured those "moments" really well here :)

I think your logic to buy this setup was solid and that the math totally works if you factor in how valuable family peace is. I appreciate that some folks have time to DIY a 2nd tank setup and I can remember when I would have gone that route too, but not in this season.

Not sure if someone has already asked but why didn't you go with the high-capacity tank for the factory location?

I think they hang down lower therefore agfe ting clearance. I like the option if two tanks vs one also.

Makes sense. The downfall is they are all the same price no matter the tank.

Makes sense. The downfall is they are all the same price no matter the tank.
Wow I need to spell check before posting!
Like crx7 stated so eloquently. With kids it is worth it. This is on my list for a future mod. I'm still stubborn enough to piece a kit together. At least a custom wiring harness with Toyota controls.
1614053420054.png

Not sure if someone has already asked but why didn't you go with the high-capacity tank for the factory location?
Reviews I read for it weren't that good. It hangs down below the frame rails and comes pretty close to the drive shaft, and I wheel a lot. Plus it's only 38 gallons. With the auxillary tank I have close to 50 gallons and 600 miles of range for the same price. Also, I had already pulled my spare 33" tire out of the stock location as it was a hinderance off road, kept dragging on things. The spare tire area is a great spot for a gas tank, which is why an OEM options already exists.

I have factory sub and also carry cans on the rear bumper. Lots of 100 miles away from anywhere travel for me. Very necessary for that kinda use. The debate on this thread is kinda pointless. Range is important depending how you use your truck. I envy the extra 10 gals the OP has over my set up. Cans on the back are a huge weight hazard too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom