Gaging interest on repop smog pump hoses (1 Viewer)

How much would you pay for a set of smog hose? See diagram

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The vacuum is the tricky part. Im looking into getting them reproduced with fabric reinforcement similar to the original hoses.

Realize these are independent of engine vacuum and only the section from the Air Cleaner to the Air Pump intake (#40) will be under Vacuum ... the rest are under low pressure of about 10" or so .... That's also a reason to make sure that hose, #40, is sealed well to prevent intake of unfiltered air.

A lot of people in Smog-States are in the same situation: My hoses are OK, but very hard from age and heat. Every time I have to remove them, something else tears. And with very little chance these trucks becoming smog-exempt anytime soon, these unobtanium pieces would be great to have.

I keep mine lubed with silicone grease so they slide on and off easily. I haven't had any breakage since I started doing that...yet.

Yes, I use Sil Glyde, too. I wipe the entire hose down with it ... But they're old brittle and there's always some small damage when I remove them, even being extra careful. I've started wrapping in Tesa wire loom abrasion tape (German luxo cars use it) just to keep them intact, as much as possible.

Good ideas. Some of my hoses start to tremble just from looking at them.

I added a poll onto the thread to see what people would/could pay for a new set of hoses.
This isn't going to be cheap getting off the ground, probably why it hasnt been a thing yet.
If you don't see the price in the poll you're willing to pay just type it in. No obligations or judgments here.

Just for perspective one company guesstimated the tooling fee to be around a few thousand doll hairs per hose:(
The quest continues...

smog pump hoses 2.jpg

Last edited:
My guess is you're running up against why no one has done this before... $$ and the limited States that still required visual checks.

I may be interested in a set. I already replaced some of the smaller hoses with cloth reinforced silicone hose from McMaster a few years ago, and had to add a 90° elbow for one of them.

I may be interested in a set. I already replaced some of the smaller hoses with cloth reinforced silicone hose from McMaster a few years ago, and had to add a 90° elbow for one of them.

I was just looking at the McMaster site for the smaller, less curved hoses.
You don’t remember what you used do you?

I was just looking at the McMaster site for the smaller, less curved hoses.
You don’t remember what you used do you?
Not off the top of my head--it's been at least 4 years since I did it. I'll dig some of the extra out of the garage and measure it once I get off work.

If not that’s fine, when I get to a real computer I’ll do some more searchin.

Just for perspective one company guesstimated the tooling fee to be around a few thousand doll hairs per hose:(
The quest continues...

Yesterday I watched some videos and went to the website for viper performance (Silicone Hose Manufacturer | Radiator Hose | Coolant Hose). "a few thousand per hose" for tooling seems a bit high compared to what these guys say. While some of the hoses have a fair amount of bends, there are no branches and each hose is all the same diameter. But it's easy for me to sit back and say it should be cheaper and easier...Thanks for looking into this!

Yesterday I watched some videos and went to the website for viper performance (Silicone Hose Manufacturer | Radiator Hose | Coolant Hose). "a few thousand per hose" for tooling seems a bit high compared to what these guys say. While some of the hoses have a fair amount of bends, there are no branches and each hose is all the same diameter. But it's easy for me to sit back and say it should be cheaper and easier...Thanks for looking into this!

Yeah Im talking with a number of places trying to find the most economic way of doing this. Its hard to get an accurate estimate with out physical samples in their hands or CAD drawings. I have a set of used hoses on the way from a mud member and will start with companys with a couple hours of where I live.

If not that’s fine, when I get to a real computer I’ll do some more searchin.
I used black 3/4" ID silicone hose, but I can't find the same stuff on McMaster's site any more. I'll try to find the invoice--it may have a part number.

Edit: I was wrong, it's 7/8" and I ordered it from boostcontroller.com. Rated for 350º and available in black, blue, or red; and 36" is less than $30. I used it for some of the shorter length hoses between all the valves and other stuff on the fender, and haven't had any issues with it for the 7ish years it's been there (I also gutted my smog pump around 3 years ago).

Last edited:
What do you all think about a 3 ply polyester, .195" wall hose for all the pieces numbered in the diagram above?
Essentially radiator hose.
For number 40 hose above, there can be a spiral wire reinforcement with in the plies.

Last edited:
Any idea what's the temp range on that hose ?

That should work, though the temp may be low for areas close to Exhaust manifold... Could simply use header wrap in close areas. Just guessing, here .... Though the OE hose is prolly EDPM rubber (300 F max) or something like that and they've held up for 35 years, so...

Im kinda curious how hot it would get around the manifold.

Although I do not know the answer, one part of it is how much technical off road do you do? Road driving will keep all things in the engine bay realistically cool. Long, slow, technical driving will create really high under hood temps.

Food for thought for those on this endeavor....

I fully support the effort for what its worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom