GA Cruisers Club, where are they now???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
We bought our 1973 FJ40 in 2002. She has been sitting waiting for the round to it for finishing the body work. That is finally happening. Before we put her into hibernation several years ago, we were active with the GA Cruisers Club which met at the Brandy House at Roswell Rd and Wieuca in Atlanta. They seem to have vanished. What took their place?
Great folks.
Thanks,
Edith

Edith,
Those were good days. Many of the crew are still around ... Gordon, Chuck, Chris.
A few have moved ... Steve (is now in Tn), Barry (in Co)

My affiliation with the Ga Cruisers ended in '05, but the chapter was still meeting at the Brandy House then. A few years ago, I attended a meeting (or two) at a Fuddruckers off of 400. I don't know when or how the meeting site changed, but the most active members live in the 400 corridor. When Ted or John see this post, they can probably fill in details for you.

Great news on your Cruiser coming out of a long nap
Larry

Added two memory lane pictures from '05 at GSMTR [my FJ40, then my co-pilot/navigator (Melissa)]

IMG_2024.JPG
DSC00124.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Larry.

I go back to 2008 and been a part ever since. The core guys are still around (4-5 of us) and we still ride regularly and work on rigs about every week, we just don't post up about it for attention. For instance I just replaced the gears in my rear t-case, Tony just put hydro steering on, Nick linked his 4R and John bought an old bronco). We're scheduled to go to AOP next weekend and anyone interested can join in. After that Hawk Pride in mid May, (maybe) GSMTR in June, then thinking Sand Hollow/Moab in October. On occasion we get a straggler that comes by and needs something and then quietly moves on.

Josh- married in CA, Ben G still local, Sidney - sold out, Tom & Robert still local, 4xSteve is in Tx but we still see him, Henry retired to NC, Dave to UT. So many other good guys just scattered to the wind. Man the campfire memories... how I do miss it.

Those left (me, John, Nick, Tony, Randy(?)) basically went hardcore, red label tires, cut up rigs, etc but there's tremendous opportunity for the stock-ish crowd to do something with the club.

When the meetings stopped early last year (Covid) the satellite members kinda wondered off. As the months passed and life happened the official events stopped and involvement fell off. That's where it sits today.

Right now the club badly needs leadership so if there's an interest I throw out what I know if it helps. I just dont have the interest in doing it again, prefer the quieter side now. The Facebook page gets some traffic and there's still a little $ in the account for investing, if only there was someone who..

Anyway, where are they now - still around just quietly. :flipoff2:

Last edited:
The meeting place is not centralized around the Atlanta vicinity anymore as it always used to be :hmm: Not sure when that happened, but that's when I stopped going. I think the last meeting I attended was Fuddruckers at Perimeter Mall :oops: I did see some members at the "recent" December gathering in Kennesaw.

When I first got involved there seemed to be a lot of folks in the group that got together to wheel several time per year. Lots of different personalities and truck capabilities, but we all had a great time. Seemed to me like the restaurant meet ups were just fillers. I can’t remember the last trip where different folks from the “GA Cruisers” actually showed up. I know we’re the red headed step children, but damn what’s the point of owning one of these things and not hitting the trails?

If the lean of the group is bolting s*** on and admiring it in a parking lot, I have no desire. If folks want to sit around a camp fire and ride trails, I’d love to be a part of that.

The feel of it to me, and I’m a newbie, is that this group/board died some time ago and everybody is just going to keep doing their own thing.

Wish it could be now what it sounds like it used to be. Hope to see folks out in the woods 🍺

Interesting the differences in perspective of the chapter and actuality ...

From '97 to '05, I was a member of the chapter. The tempo and flavor of the chapter then was

• Monthly meetings; primarily at Brandy House on the 1st Tuesday night. The Brandy had food/beverages and large area in the back to conduct chapter business. The Ga Cruisers were a TLCA chapter so there typically some news/planning/discussion related to nationwide issues and actions that we were involved in.
  • Agenda at monthly meetings usually covered plans for monthly trails rides / long range plans for TLCA events / tech talks / meet-n-greet of new-old members / chapter admin ...
  • Monthly trail rides; Typical trail rides were day trips on Saturdays (2nd Saturday after monthly meeting). The trails were normally selected to be in the near stock range with (optional) obstacles that were more difficult. This offered challenge and fun to everyone that came out, plus most outing were learning opportunities. It was very common to have new members along that had never been off pavement before, so our trail rides offered the opportunity for new members to learn what their Cruisers could do and what they could do too.
  • Chapter Picnic/Trail ride; We held a meeting in the fall that was geared to bring out the entire extended family of the chapter (wives, children, relatives, ...). It would combine a picnic with low key local trail ride. It was a social opportunity to meet everyone without pressure of a trail ride. I know that my wife always enjoyed it. She never would go on the trails rides (or trips like GSMTR) but this was an opportunity for her to meet the other members and their families. This meant a lot her because our kids came with me to meetings and on trail rides, so she got to see the quality of the people her family was spending time with. Tremendous confidence booster.
  • TLCA; Chapter always supported GSMTR and other TLCA events in the region. In fact, we hosted the Toyota Mountain Challenge for several years. It was a TLCA sponsored event. Several members of the chapter were board members of the TLCA (Dave France and Phil Davis come to mind)
  • Work Days/Weekends; We volunteered for trail maintenance several times a year. Normally in association with SFWDA or friends of Beasley Knob. Depending on schedule, these outings might be the monthly trail ride or in addition to it. Additionally, we frequently arranged work days to help one another with our Cruisers (installing lifts, maintenance, repairs, fabrication, ...). These were great opportunities to get to know everyone better while expanding our mechanical knowledge/skill base.

This is a snapshot of the Ga Cruisers in the day. I think of it as great environment and it appeared successful because our peak membership was in the 150 member range.

Interesting the differences in perspective of the chapter and actuality ...

From '97 to '05, I was a member of the chapter. The tempo and flavor of the chapter then was

• Monthly meetings; primarily at Brandy House on the 1st Tuesday night. The Brandy had food/beverages and large area in the back to conduct chapter business. The Ga Cruisers were a TLCA chapter so there typically some news/planning/discussion related to nationwide issues and actions that we were involved in.
  • Agenda at monthly meetings usually covered plans for monthly trails rides / long range plans for TLCA events / tech talks / meet-n-greet of new-old members / chapter admin ...
  • Monthly trail rides; Typical trail rides were day trips on Saturdays (2nd Saturday after monthly meeting). The trails were normally selected to be in the near stock range with (optional) obstacles that were more difficult. This offered challenge and fun to everyone that came out, plus most outing were learning opportunities. It was very common to have new members along that had never been off pavement before, so our trail rides offered the opportunity for new members to learn what their Cruisers could do and what they could do too.
  • Chapter Picnic/Trail ride; We held a meeting in the fall that was geared to bring out the entire extended family of the chapter (wives, children, relatives, ...). It would combine a picnic with low key local trail ride. It was a social opportunity to meet everyone without pressure of a trail ride. I know that my wife always enjoyed it. She never would go on the trails rides (or trips like GSMTR) but this was an opportunity for her to meet the other members and their families. This meant a lot her because our kids came with me to meetings and on trail rides, so she got to see the quality of the people her family was spending time with. Tremendous confidence booster.
  • TLCA; Chapter always supported GSMTR and other TLCA events in the region. In fact, we hosted the Toyota Mountain Challenge for several years. It was a TLCA sponsored event. Several members of the chapter were board members of the TLCA (Dave France and Phil Davis come to mind)
  • Work Days/Weekends; We volunteered for trail maintenance several times a year. Normally in association with SFWDA or friends of Beasley Knob. Depending on schedule, these outings might be the monthly trail ride or in addition to it. Additionally, we frequently arranged work days to help one another with our Cruisers (installing lifts, maintenance, repairs, fabrication, ...). These were great opportunities to get to know everyone better while expanding our mechanical knowledge/skill base.

This is a snapshot of the Ga Cruisers in the day. I think of it as great environment and it appeared successful because our peak membership was in the 150 member range.
That is what I remember. Phil davis is who I remember. He was very helpful!
We lead a "geezer cruise" on some forest service roads once. When some of the "kids" started hitting rocks, we were glad it wasn't our body panels :).
There was a off road park in Dawsonville the folks were starting to go to then. This would have been around 2005.

I was building VW buses back in the days y’all are referring to and was a founding member of an atlanta bus club that met and camped regularly. That group kinda faded away as people got older and buses got trendy. Loads of new folks with annoying questions and lots to learn made it frustrating to organize anything. Seems like the age of the Internet has killed our old car clubs.

I picked up a busted 8274 off a guy in Cherokee county and when he saw my 80 he mentioned he’d had a few 40’s. Told him the winch was for my 40 and we chatted for an hour. Before I left he said he had something for me and took me to his basement. I puckered up a bit but he pulled this off his gun safe and gave it to me.
8E8A326A-53B0-458B-A1EA-86F29251BF63.jpeg

I've beat this to death across a few clubhouses, but I can't not say it here too.

People want things when they want them and don't want to be inconvenienced to have to go to a meeting. People today have too many other things demanding their time (or so they perceive). The internet has killed a lot of the old clubs. I've watched the STLCA basically fade to a handful of folks. From what I hear, they used to meet once a month in Nashville and once a month in Chatt, but as far as I know the only meetings now are held at GSMTR and the annual.

People (in general, painting with a broad brush and realize there are exceptions) just don't want to make a club a priority. You have a meet and greet at a brewery on a pretty Saturday, or a random get together and a ton of folks show up, try and make it a regular thing and you will see the number generally go down by half or better each time until your sitting alone waiting for no one to show up...

So is the way of the world. The ones that do stick together, basically band together and do their own thing, because they are or have become friends, not just club members. Younger the club, stronger it is, as they age, they seem to start falling off. I was always told 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people, so when the 20% gets tired of doing it all, then the 80% stops getting done...

All my money is tied up in land cruisers and I gave up coke when I quit sugar a few years ago. I can bring seltzer though.

I think a club needs two things at meetings to encourage folks to become contributing members......Strippers and coke. @bencallaway has plenty of money and connections to get both.
Both of those things lost their appeal years ago. Free (or nearly free) beer often works though.
Jynx I right - people want to be entertained and a great number do not want to do all it takes to provide said entertainment.
STLCA has been fortunate to have a few steadfast members who put together GSMTR year after year but our meetings fell off a number of years ago. For a time, it became Roger and Andy sitting at a bar by themselves in Nashville after driving all the way from Jasper and Manchester.

Nothing like throwing a party and nobody shows.

Our meetings were usually pretty fun and it seemed every other month I was hauling some sort of spare part home and learned a ton of stuff from attendees while building my 40s.

Last edited:
So if someone wanted to bring back the club, what would need to be done? Is it still an official affiliate of TLCA? I agree with a lot of what has been said before. The internet/social media and the Great Recession hit car clubs like this very hard. I know a lot of new cruiser owners in the area that might be eager to jump in. If by-laws, insurance, dues, etc are still required, the formality of those may be a turn off for many. I am not sure if that stuff is optional if the desire is to be a part of TLCA. My kids are getting to ages where I might have more time to get involved. I would always be happy to help a bunch of Georgians plan amazing trips out West. That is probably where I could bring the most to the table. I am also on the board for the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum in Salt Lake City and happy to use that as a resource to the club in any ways possible.

I want to start doing more trips closer to home (Southeast) and would love to see old friends while making new ones while having the Land Cruiser magic bond us all together while making memories.

Smitty

Although the bulk of our events are located 3-4 hours south of the Atlanta area, you guys are always welcome to join us if interested.
8EF23EC2-F54C-4DD6-A78B-A0C562802DF6.jpeg

So if someone wanted to bring back the club, what would need to be done? Is it still an official affiliate of TLCA? I agree with a lot of what has been said before. The internet/social media and the Great Recession hit car clubs like this very hard. I know a lot of new cruiser owners in the area that might be eager to jump in. If by-laws, insurance, dues, etc are still required, the formality of those may be a turn off for many. I am not sure if that stuff is optional if the desire is to be a part of TLCA. My kids are getting to ages where I might have more time to get involved. I would always be happy to help a bunch of Georgians plan amazing trips out West. That is probably where I could bring the most to the table. I am also on the board for the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum in Salt Lake City and happy to use that as a resource to the club in any ways possible.

I want to start doing more trips closer to home (Southeast) and would love to see old friends while making new ones while having the Land Cruiser magic bond us all together while making memories.

Smitty

Scott,
I hope your thoughts and questions spark similar interest with others. If I can be of aid, please let me know.

Smitty
Rick Allen (@Kentex Rick) is the TLCA’s eastern rep. and can probably help you and answer any questions.

Starting a new chapter of the TLCA is fairly simple. No dues, fees or insurance is required. All you need is a group of guys who are interested (5 minimum) and are willing to get the ball rolling. Meetings can be semi regular and informal. Get together at your favorite watering hole once a month to look at other rigs and talk shop (or s***) with other like minded folks. Check tlca.org for the requirements for starting a new chapter. Bylaws and mission don't have to be complicated, you can use the samples given and adjust the wording for your use. I'm available to help with the process.

Cheers,
Rick Allen
TLCA Eastern Rep.

Count me in. I’ve been around TLCA a long time (#2857) but my involvement has waxed and waned over the years like most. I drive a 5th Gen 4Runner now, and have two LC projects awaiting time and space to work on them. Im happy to mildly wheel the 4Runner but probably won’t do anything too crazy. Happy to jump in and help even if it’s to get us up to five active members to kick things off. I’d be happy to lead but as I was telling Rick, my kids are young and now very active in their sports on the weekends so time is a bit precious. Maybe when they both get a bit older and they reach the age when they’re happy to have me out if the house. 😬. FWIW, I’ll mention that I do have a lot of friends in 4x4 Toyotas and Lexus. I tried to get some of the Georgia 4Runner club members interested but as it’s already been mentioned in previous posts, social media has made it tough. Especially when FB makes it easy to coordinate weekend trips. No one under 30 in these groups appreciates the legacy of TLCA or what it means - and they also make it very clear they don’t want to pay for it. I don’t think finding members will be a huge hurdle but it may mean doing a helluva lot of outreach. The good news is, they can always be found at a skottles n bottles event, or caffeine & octane, or in the trails of N GA. They’re a tight knit group so I’m hoping I can find enough common interest to get some crossover membership from that crowd, along with the legacy and new LC owners out there. Anyway, if you need me - holler. I’m in here but probably most reachable on FB.

We had 5 this weekend but I guess we were too far from the Atlanta parking lots…

I was going to nominate myself for treasurer but forgot cause I was looking for my wallet.

:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

85CA41A3-71BC-42D3-BFC3-E1105B14868F.jpeg

6891016C-F265-42B8-949B-0DCBEDAF47E0.jpeg

66CBC717-3190-44BB-8837-B6605A6B1D2F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom