G*$&#@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bds Lift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
3/79 FJ40 w/ Factory P/S- BDS 4" lift- their instructions say-

"If the drag link contacts the shock, bend the drag link"

You can guess what happened; it was ugly- I even VERY CAREFULLY bent the drag link, SLOWLY, on a press after measuring the radius, bend was slight and gradual- it wound up like a fish-hook- new drag link, too.

Called BDS, they said to warranty the shock-
I decided to get a new (used) drag link from SOR, and gas shocks to orient them downward- shocks are Pro-Comp 9000's............

they still contact the drag link- I'm not too happy - can't use it; ain't gonna bend the drag link again- can't drive like this

Any suggestions- anyone see/ fix this?????

relocate lower shock mount?

fabricate extender for lower mount???

sell FJ 40 for ridiculously low price to unsuspecting person??- nah.......

I think BDS didn't engineer this lift for 40's with Factory P/S.

I have a 2/79 with OEM P/S installed, BUT have the 1.5" - 2" lift kit. It's very close but have clearance. Good luck!

Dave

not just bds. a lot of lifts require "clearancing" of the drag link.

Would running the shock "can up" fix the clearance problem? (never seen it, just throwing out options...)

This is what I did before I went to Saginaw..
C%3A%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CMichael%20Weller%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Pictures%5CFJ40%5C02_26_06%5CPICT0069.JPG

Also, see here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=144624&highlight=drag+link+shock

Asking a customer to bend the steering components is not being realistic in my book as well as opening ones self up to a huge lawsuit. If you bent the drag link and it broke and you crashed into me you can be sure I'd be suing you and BDS!

BDS should be supplying a properly shaped draglink if the stock one doesn't fit correctly.

Cruiser Guy- my sentiments exactly- you engineer the part or don't sell it, or fix the problem-

The drag link bent so bad (I can publish an image later) I used a SawZall to cut it- REALLY SCARY-

My HFS kit does the same. Hoping that I can remedy it when I put the Mini truck PS box on the new bracket.

I have the HFS 4" and have no problems. The only problems I encountered was having to get the correct pinion angle and camber angle.

Just SWap to fj60 Power steering. :D Be awright in da mornin:lol:

had that happen before notched the shock tower bent it down and welded it .this moved the shock out away from link and has survived many years may not work for you but good luck

Had the same issue on a 80 FJ40 I had with a 4" Skyjacker and factory PS, I recently had the same rubbing on the shock with a installed 4" HFS. Asked CCOT how to fix they said the weight would do it, that is BS! I am now installing a Sag conversion that will make it all go away.

I agree with you, this is twice now I have been told to bend a fairly important component by a manufacturer, pretty shady in my book.

I felt your pain twice before, I do think "mtweller's" approach above looks like a good and fairly easy solution, maybe these outfits selling lifts for 40's should buy some spacers from him.

Makes you wander how well they are tested if it seems obvious that they have never been installed on an actual vehicle. I'm not sure about this, but I had a skyjacker 5" lift for a second gen mini, that could not possibly have been used as directed. The directions state that you should keep the factory swaybar and it should bolt up after the lift (5" later). It simply isn't possible to do it that way.
I can't believe they are asking you to bend a steering component. I'd probably move the shock mount. Probably be the easiest solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom