FZJ80 Won't start~~~~ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruisin' Becky

#LandcruiserLife
Threads
I've got an issue. I've read the forum and try to find an answer but still haven't been able to. So I'm gonna turn to a post to see if someone can help me out.

I've got a 95 Land Cruiser where it the lights turn on in ACC, but as soon as I try to turn it over everything goes black. I replaced the fusible link and put in a new battery and check to make sure the connections were tight and clean. I'm not sure what this could be. I'm hoping it's not the starter but I wanted to turn to the Land Cruiser gods to see if I could find some wisdom! I've included a video of what it's doing. Let me know what you think!

Did your new Fuse able link fry too, do you still have the RS3000 alarm system ??

I changed my fusible link to see if it would crank, nothing. I don't have an alarm system on mine....
All north American Land Cruisers had the RS3000 in them, look under you drivers side seat and you should see a little black box, you need to pull the front seat and look, I am betting you have it in there and you need to pull it

All north American Land Cruisers had the RS3000 in them, look under you drivers side seat and you should see a little black box, you need to pull the front seat and look, I am betting you have it in there and you need to pull it
Well, unfortunately, mine must have been taken out previously. I don’t have a black box under my seat. I’m sure it was removed.

Like you, I also would've started with battery connections. Still seems like a bad connection though...possibly a ground connection. Maybe negative battery cable to ground?

Like you, I also would've started with battery connections. Still seems like a bad connection though...possibly a ground connection. Maybe negative battery cable to ground?
I'm going to get a voltmeter and check. Thank you!

I'm going to get a voltmeter and check. Thank you!

Needs to be a physical check of all connections and wiring. Look to see that all are tight and clean and no breaks in cables or wiring. Voltmeter won't help you here...but good to have a multi-meter on board at all times for other things.

Was this sudden? Or suspect over time?

I guess suddenly... my rig has been sitting for a good amount of years. So maybe the connections are what could be wrong.
That little gem of info should have been in your 1st post...

Do you mean this is your 1st attempt to start a vehicle that has sat for years? So, old fuel, old oil, old coolant, old and neglected everything...

I'd be putting a breaker bar and socket on the crank nut and seeing if the engine will even manually turn over before worrying about connections etc. Pull the plugs and have a look see. I'd be changing fluids and filters (including diffs, xfer case, auto) etc before trying to crank it to life. Good luck, leaving a vehicle just sitting for years without some 'storing it' prep often doesn't end well...

cheers,
george.

That little gem of info should have been in your 1st post...

Do you mean this is your 1st attempt to start a vehicle that has sat for years? So, old fuel, old oil, old coolant, old and neglected everything...

I'd be putting a breaker bar and socket on the crank nut and seeing if the engine will even manually turn over before worrying about connections etc. Pull the plugs and have a look see. I'd be changing fluids and filters (including diffs, xfer case, auto) etc before trying to crank it to life. Good luck, leaving a vehicle just sitting for years without some 'storing it' prep often doesn't end well...

cheers,
george.
All of what you've said above, I've done over the past 2 weeks. I am now attacking trying to turn it over and getting it started. That's why I didn't put that information in the original post.

But thanks for your two cents.

All of what you've said above, I've done over the past 2 weeks. I am now attacking trying to turn it over and getting it started. That's why I didn't put that information in the original post.

But thanks for your two cents.
Well, but you didn't mention it.
But then did mention it's been sitting for years.
We can only go on what you post to help.

So, you have changed the fluids, battery, and ... anything else?... before what we see in the video, yes?

I'd try to short the starter, just for kicks. It'll take seconds and save you hours of wire chasing. Place the ignition in the run position (key "ON"), then place a screwdriver across both starter terminals. It should go without saying, but hold the handle and don't touch the metal frame, or anything else for that matter.

If the starter is OK, it'll start, or at least crank. If nothing happens, the fault is in the starter, and it's most likely the Bendix. There's another recent post about that, with repair details.

Good luck.

I'd try to short the starter, just for kicks. It'll take seconds and save you hours of wire chasing. Place the ignition in the run position (key "ON"), then place a screwdriver across both starter terminals. It should go without saying, but hold the handle and don't touch the metal frame, or anything else for that matter.

If the starter is OK, it'll start, or at least crank. If nothing happens, the fault is in the starter, and it's most likely the Bendix. There's another recent post about that, with repair details.

Good luck.
Thank you for the recommendation! I’ll try that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom