FZJ80 with 141 miles what should i do to it. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a 93 fzj80 with 141k on the dash. Paid 4,200 for it with some nice aftermarket toys like a 4 inch lift and nice beefy firestone tires. My question is, what's next ? I got a check engine light but the previous owner who is a mechanic insists its an O2 censor. I need breaks immediately. Feeling very crunchy haha i ultimately plan on dailying this but also use it for some fun

Any recommendations or even your own build list would be greatly appreciated. This community has been really helpful so far so id like to thank you guys. Be safe out there and thanks for the advise !

I follow this for all vehicles. I learned it on Mud
Make it go. Figure out what the check engine light is for and fix it. And do any other neglected maintenance
Make it stop. fix the brakes
Then make it pretty or add accessories
It doesn’t matter how many cool parts your rig has is if it can’t do the first two things.
good luck with it. These trucks are a blast.

I follow this for all vehicles. I learned it on Mud
Make it go. Figure out what the check engine light is for and fix it. And do any other neglected maintenance
Make it stop. fix the brakes
Then make it pretty or add accessories
It doesn’t matter how many cool parts your rig has is if it can’t do the first two things.
good luck with it. These trucks are a blast.

Im already loving it. Im waiting on my mechanic to have a spot in his garage for me but in the meantime im trying to source the best stuff i can. Thanks for the reply ill definitly keep up with the forums.

Keep it OEM parts. Its what has kept them on the road this long. Avoid Chinesium parts.

You shouldn't have to do anything with 141 miles on it....;)

Picked up a 93 fzj80 with 141k on the dash. Paid 4,200 for it with some nice aftermarket toys like a 4 inch lift and nice beefy firestone tires. My question is, what's next ? I got a check engine light but the previous owner who is a mechanic insists its an O2 censor. I need breaks immediately. Feeling very crunchy haha i ultimately plan on dailying this but also use it for some fun

Any recommendations or even your own build list would be greatly appreciated. This community has been really helpful so far so id like to thank you guys. Be safe out there and thanks for the advise !
Add pics. Any rust? Want to make a quick profit? 😬

Keep it OEM parts. Its what has kept them on the road this long. Avoid Chinesium parts.
Add pics. Any rust? Want to make a quick profit? 😬

I actually just picked up a job with toyota and i plan on moving where the truck would be necessary. However i wouldnt be opposed to at least hearing an offer. Shoot me a message and maybe we could work something out.

If you are serious about an 80. Learn how to baseline it yourself. Otherwise, yeah go to a mechanic and make a little profit.

I know this is kind of a lame question but where do i even start and where ? Youtube and google only get me so far and i have next to no knowledge on much of this. I have no tools either. Im just starting out here haha im 23 and this is my first 4x4. So literally any pointed direction will be a big help.

I know this is kind of a lame question but where do i even start and where ? Youtube and google only get me so far and i have next to no knowledge on much of this. I have no tools either. Im just starting out here haha im 23 and this is my first 4x4. So literally any pointed direction will be a big help.

Download a Factory Service Manual (FSM) and get a range of metric wrenches and sockets.

Ok so for starters here... 20 Pc 3/8 in. Drive Metric Socket Set

Good enough and cheap enough to not worry about if they get stolen, but gets you most of the way.
if your brakes are not working then start there. Start at the front, check your pads and the rubber hoses. Make sure there is enough fluid in the system. new pads and then move to the back. there are threads and pictures for all of this plus youtube. Little searching on here and google and you will find the factory service manual at the price of beer.

Now since you already have an 80 you are expected to be tougher and have thick skin. Welcome to the opportunity to learn and build.

Ok so for starters here... 20 Pc 3/8 in. Drive Metric Socket Set

Good enough and cheap enough to not worry about if they get stolen, but gets you most of the way.
if your brakes are not working then start there. Start at the front, check your pads and the rubber hoses. Make sure there is enough fluid in the system. new pads and then move to the back. there are threads and pictures for all of this plus youtube. Little searching on here and google and you will find the factory service manual at the price of beer.

Now since you already have an 80 you are expected to be tougher and have thick skin. Welcome to the opportunity to learn and build.

Hell yeah man you rule. Im ordering a set tonight and keep my eye out for a service manual. Thanks for the knowledge.

And since you're in New York, Fluid Film or Woolwax the hell out of it - starting today!

Big person to recognize that.....you’ve started with the righ 4x4! Lots of great resources here. Look to see if there is any Land Cruiser clubs in your area or region that will accelerate your learning. Get the brakes sorted out. It would be cheaper if you did it yourself but if not comfortable take to reliable mechanic. As for the check engine light get the codes.....yourself. Super easy to get:

Tackle the small stuff to start learning.

Good luck!

Haha yeah hopefully your right. I got a few odds and ends to tie up but other than that its already doing me good.

Ha!...in the title I saw 141 miles and thought what a score, then after reading it was 141K which is still low miles for the 80 series these days....enjoy!

For just starting out, baselining it and getting it on a pm regimen really helps. Recommend OEM parts for pretty much everything, so see if you have a local club that has a discount at a local dealer, or a discount through TLCA, or order from online dealers.

Start with front/rear diff fluid changes (always remove the fill plug first) and an oil change and grease your driveshafts. You will need/want a 1/2" breaker bar/ratchet with 24mm 6-point sockets and/or a 24mm open-end wrench. Sockets have a little bevel on them, and it sometimes helps to grind that flat so you get good seating of the socket on the head of the plug. You will also need to get a grease gun for the driveshafts.

Check your air filter and clean the "tuna can" on the underside of the air cleaner housing.

Check/change your belts.

Next replace your distributor cap, rotor, and spark plugs and maybe wires. The spark plug tool that comes in the OEM toolkit is gold for getting the spark plug at the far back, #6, out. You will want to get some feeler gauges for verifying the gap on the sparkplugs.

Then do a coolant change. Stay with whatever color you already have in the system, either red or green. You will want/need some buckets and some distilled water.

Then inspect your brakes and bleed the brake system. Or have a good shop bleed them for you.

Then have your transmission fluid changed. Nothing wrong with taking it to a shop to do this.

Then flush your power steering fluid.

At this point your truck will be pretty baselined and you will have touched enough systems you will have a chance to find crusty hoses, plugged radiator, or anything else that may need immediate attention.

PHH will be important to check/replace, maybe while the cooling system is draining.

Vacuum hoses will also be good candidates for inspection/replacement as well.

Then do a front axle service and learn about bearing packing and preload setting.

At this point you’ll be fairly comfortable with the basic work. From here the trucks needs will guide you, from suspension replacement, to getting back into the cooling system to do all hoses, thermostat, water pump, or doing A/C system work.

Other things:
-make sure you have no CEL codes stored
-your exhaust may need new cats, muffler or total replacement depending on corrosion
-steering linkage should be checked for play and fixed if any is found
-shocks should be replaced as needed

get that PHH replaced and carry some heater hose to bypass the heater valve and/or rear heater lines if they fail on you, and drive it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom