FZJ80 Windshield Replacement - Best brands? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to replace my windshield after having the truck repainting, anyone have any specific brands they would recommend? Looking for quality, budget is pretty flexible.

This forum is super helpful, I did find the instructions to replace which I will handover to the shop as well.

Attachments

• Installation-windshield (1).pdf
    82.8 KB · Views: 50
Have you shopped around for a windshield yet, it's getting harder to find replacement glass, might not have a choice.

Call around to a few of your local glass installers and ask them what brands they can find. If they aren't sure of the brand ask them for the DOT number for the glass, that will tell you where the glass was manufactured.

Last edited:
Reactions: KTP
Did mine couple years back. OEM glass and gasket. Cant go wrong

Reactions: KTP
Definitely have called around for OEM glass at either Toyota or Lexus, to no avail, nothing on Partsouq, Amaya lists part number
#56111-60190 but who actually knows if it's available (+$1K shipped if it is lol)

Definitely have called around for OEM glass at either Toyota or Lexus, to no avail, nothing on Partsouq, Amaya lists part number
#56111-60190 but who actually knows if it's available (+$1K shipped if it is lol)
OEM glass is NLA.. Period.

Isn’t glass just glass? Or is OEM glass “thicker” and more “bulletproof” like damn it’s just glass 😂

Isn’t glass just glass? Or is OEM glass “thicker” and more “bulletproof” like damn it’s just glass 😂
Tolerances, brinnell hardness, actual cut to fit.

Yes, there are differences.

Unfortunately, OEM is NLA.

So, the idea is to find what brands and part numbers seem to have the best fit and longevity.

Go with high quality after market glass as OEM is NLA. Most important thing is a correct install with a new OEM gasket.

Pilkington or PGW (what used to be PPG) would be my go-to, but they no longer stock glass for our old rigs. At least they don't in my part of the country. I spoke to several glass shops, and they order direct from Pilkington, and I was quoted $166.63 for a new windshield (glass only). It is a Chinese brand called "Trival."

Let us know if you have better luck, but I doubt you will. There are so many of these duplicate threads popping up, and it's the same thing every time. And YES, OEM windshields are NLA!!!

Last edited:
I used Fuyao glass and an oem gasket. I installed glass with help from my wife. 3 years later everything is good.
My wife needed a replacement windshield for her Nissan and the glass place used Fuyao. Made in the USA (Chinese company). The quality seems excellent!

And be watchful of the install if you don’t do it yourself.

I went with a reputable national provider, got a hold of the local shop, explained I had an OEM gasket and wanted installed per the FSM (less taking the A pillar apart and headliner removal). He said no problem.

Tech came out to the shop, I told him what his boss agreed to and had the FSM open to the windshield install. He glanced at it and said no problem. I told him to come get me when he had it out so I could see the frame.

30 minutes later he called me out. No glue on the gasket to body (it had never leaked on the inside) but only one very small surface rust on bottom center. He said no problem to quickly brush and treat.

About 45 minutes later he calls me back and says all done. I mosey on out there and shocker, he hadn’t sealed the gasket to the body. I explain to him I want it sealed to prevent the frame from rusting. He says “it can’t be done.”

Fast forward 30 minutes with his boss on the phone and they agreed to call me Monday to set up a time to come back out and seal with 2 techs.

Most of Monday comes and goes with no call from the manager. I call the national warranty # and they patch me through to same manager and he sheepishly schedules me for next week. We’ll see.

I tell you what: I called several windshield companies yesterday and today. I spoke to many humans in the glass business and the common them from all of them was that they try to steer their customers away from Chinese glass. It's getting harder and harder to do for them. Two different glass places said they abhor FYG glass, otherwise known as Fuyao. I've heard good things about Fuyao and almost pulled the trigger until I spoke to these people. One guy said, "yeah Fuyao has good reviews because Safelite has a contract with them so they get the good reviews in numbers." It's quantity over quality. Sound familiar?

Anyway, take this for what it's worth. All glass shops, without deviation, suggested the rank order for quality is OEM, Pilkington, PGW, then everything else. I was referred to get Trival glass by more than one shop because they said the quality is solid. It is Chinese. Anyone who knows me knows it kills me a little to support the Chinese economy but few choices force my hand.

EDIT 2/15: Anyway, I will give this Trival glass a chance. Like Fuyao, it's inexpensive. Contrary to the cheap price of the windshield, I hope the quality is there. After more research, I canceled my order and returned to the drawing board. I am leaning toward the Fuyao based on online reviews on other forums. I am reviewing the NSX, BMW, Bob is the Oil guy, and random forums to see the general consensus on windshield glass quality. I think this is a zero-sum game at this point.

Last edited:
And be watchful of the install if you don’t do it yourself.

I went with a reputable national provider, got a hold of the local shop, explained I had an OEM gasket and wanted installed per the FSM (less taking the A pillar apart and headliner removal). He said no problem.

Tech came out to the shop, I told him what his boss agreed to and had the FSM open to the windshield install. He glanced at it and said no problem. I told him to come get me when he had it out so I could see the frame.

30 minutes later he called me out. No glue on the gasket to body (it had never leaked on the inside) but only one very small surface rust on bottom center. He said no problem to quickly brush and treat.

About 45 minutes later he calls me back and says all done. I mosey on out there and shocker, he hadn’t sealed the gasket to the body. I explain to him I want it sealed to prevent the frame from rusting. He says “it can’t be done.”

Fast forward 30 minutes with his boss on the phone and they agreed to call me Monday to set up a time to come back out and seal with 2 techs.

Most of Monday comes and goes with no call from the manager. I call the national warranty # and they patch me through to same manager and he sheepishly schedules me for next week. We’ll see.
3rd time was the charm….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom