FZJ80 Transmission Trouble HELP!! PLEASE!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. I have a 1995 FZJ80 automatic trans. I've had the car for about 5 years. About a month after I bought it I had my first tranny issue. Instead of shifting to 3rd from 2nd it went into neutral for about 20 seconds then dropped into gear. I instantly knew why the folks I bought it from sold it. So this would happen every so often. I put a new filter in the tranny, changed the oil, but still this happens and it seems to be getting worse at this point. I really like this car despite the gas milage it gets. I own it outright and it does everything I need it to. I'm going to fix it, but I'm not sure if I should have this tranny rebuilt or if I should just locate a working replacment. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Has anybody else out there had any issuse like this? Thanks in advance!:cheers:

have you taken it in to a tranny shop and have them check it out. mine was doing something similar not as long as yours(20 sec) and they found a pressure line had backed off. they fixed that and did a thourogh(spelling) check for 200.00.. Good luck.

A slipping transmission can occur from low ATF or the cable in the engine compartment needing adjustment, having a senior moment and forgetting the name. The cable is there on a 4runner, because I had to adjust it for the same reason. Guessing its there on an 80.

I think Romer's referring to the throttle cable (also known as a kickdown cable). It runs from the throttle body down around the US passenger side of the valve cover and disappears towards the transmission. There was a write-up somewhere here on how to adjust it properly.

Edit: 80-series Throttle Adjustment - Land Cruiser Tech from IH8MUD.com

Another thread discussing adjustment: link

Start with this adjustment, as well I would check the level/colour/smell of the ATF. If you're serious about keeping the truck, buy an FSM. It has almost all the info you'll ever need to work on your truck (the rest of it is here on Mud!)

Last edited:
have you taken it in to a tranny shop and have them check it out. mine was doing something similar not as long as yours(20 sec) and they found a pressure line had backed off. they fixed that and did a thourogh(spelling) check for 200.00.. Good luck.

Thanks buddy! I'm gonna try it all before I spend a couple thousand on a new one!:clap:

A slipping transmission can occur from low ATF or the cable in the engine compartment needing adjustment, having a senior moment and forgetting the name. The cable is there on a 4runner, because I had to adjust it for the same reason. Guessing its there on an 80.

The tranny isn't slipping. It is just ending up in a false neutral between 2nd and 3rd. But I'll check it out. :confused:

I think Romer's referring to the throttle cable (also known as a kickdown cable). It runs from the throttle body down around the US passenger side of the valve cover and disappears towards the transmission. There was a write-up somewhere here on how to adjust it properly.

Start with this adjustment, as well I would check the level/colour/smell of the ATF. If you're serious about keeping the truck, buy an FSM. It has almost all the info you'll ever need to work on your truck (the rest of it is here on Mud!)

The fluid is new, the filter inside is new and the level is good. It works flawlessly until it just decides to trip out. Then it won't do it again for a month or 2. I feel like there's a piece of metal inside floating around and blocking off a passage way every now and then. I am going to get a FSM, but this isn't covered in there. One of my best friends is a Master Toyota Tech @ Hansel Toyota. I had him check into this and he can't come up with any cases. He says these tranny's are basically bullet proof and the FZJ80 is a million mile vehicle. The above link is talking about the early FJ80, does this apply to my car? How many different trannys did they use in these? When I got the new filter I had to have my VIN # becuase there were like 4 different filters:confused: I need help! :censor:

disclaimer - the following info. may have nothing to do with your vehicle/problem......However...if it does cool. I had a "tranny" problem a year or so ago. Turned out to be a wiring issue that I was able to track down and repair:D. I dug into and scrutinized alot of wires...My trouble ended up being down low on the fire wall near where the rear heater pipes go down and back towards the rear heater......there are wires that are associated with the tranny that run through this location and then towards the rear of the engine compartment and along the top of the tranny.

Are your troubles related to rain/moisture conditions? Just curous because mine were come and go problems, but I was able to finally isolate and fix it for 0$ and a few hours of my time...

FYI, my truck is a '94

Kind regards & good luck!!

disclaimer - the following info. may have nothing to do with your vehicle/problem......However...if it does cool. I had a "tranny" problem a year or so ago. Turned out to be a wiring issue that I was able to track down and repair:D. I dug into and scrutinized alot of wires...My trouble ended up being down low on the fire wall near where the rear heater pipes go down and back towards the rear heater......there are wires that are associated with the tranny that run through this location and then towards the rear of the engine compartment and along the top of the tranny.

Are your troubles related to rain/moisture conditions? Just curous because mine were come and go problems, but I was able to finally isolate and fix it for 0$ and a few hours of my time...

FYI, my truck is a '94

Kind regards & good luck!!

I'm going to check this out too! Thanks buddy! When I originally told my Master Tech buddy about it I told him I thought it might be my vacuum modulator going south. He told me that these are all computer controlled and it doesn't have a vacuum modulator. What were the symptoms & frequency of your problems?

Your symptom sounds like a solvable problem - not a dying transmission. It's worth carefully and painstakingly checking the tranny wiring and connectors. I'd consider getting some spray electrical connection cleaner and get under there with some bright lights, little mirror and strong abs checking and cleaning.

Even if this did not solve it, I'd merely move to the next culprit which most likely would be a solenoid and I think they're not rocket science to pull and replace.

Maybe fire an entire bottle of degreaser spray up atop the tranny and wires, then put a sprinkler under it to rinse for a couple hours. Take it for a drive and after it cools down a half hour it should be dry as well.

DougM

Your symptom sounds like a solvable problem - not a dying transmission. It's worth carefully and painstakingly checking the tranny wiring and connectors. I'd consider getting some spray electrical connection cleaner and get under there with some bright lights, little mirror and strong abs checking and cleaning.

Even if this did not solve it, I'd merely move to the next culprit which most likely would be a solenoid and I think they're not rocket science to pull and replace.

Maybe fire an entire bottle of degreaser spray up atop the tranny and wires, then put a sprinkler under it to rinse for a couple hours. Take it for a drive and after it cools down a half hour it should be dry as well.

DougM

Thanks Doug! I'll let you guys know what I find. I'm going to clean the $hit out it today and look around under there. You guys rad, thanks for the help.:beer:

I second that
I thought my tranny was going but made this adjusment and now she runs like a top
the kick down cable would be the very first thing I would check

I think mine does something similar, but mine happens under heavy braking. You brake hard then give it gas and it acts like its in neutral.....then thud and it starts moving as normal. Pretty nerve racking.

I think mine does something similar, but mine happens under heavy braking. You brake hard then give it gas and it acts like its in neutral.....then thud and it starts moving as normal. Pretty nerve racking.

I see we have similar tastes in vehicles there buddy! :beer: It crazy we both have slightly jacked FZJ's too! :hillbilly:

I'm going to check this out too! Thanks buddy! When I originally told my Master Tech buddy about it I told him I thought it might be my vacuum modulator going south. He told me that these are all computer controlled and it doesn't have a vacuum modulator. What were the symptoms & frequency of your problems?

my symtpoms were off the line. The truck would start and run beutifully. Then When I shifted from Park to Drive it would shudder and act like it was going to falter and stall I would have to rev it to get it to go....once it up shifted it would run normally....then I wold come to a stop sign or red light and the shudder would occur again......I found the chafed wire(s) and repaired them and TADA! all things were back to normal!!! I wrote a thread about it at the time but have no idea where it is....

Good luck

my symtpoms were off the line. The truck would start and run beutifully. Then When I shifted from Park to Drive it would shudder and act like it was going to falter and stall I would have to rev it to get it to go....once it up shifted it would run normally....then I wold come to a stop sign or red light and the shudder would occur again......I found the chafed wire(s) and repaired them and TADA! all things were back to normal!!! I wrote a thread about it at the time but have no idea where it is....

Good luck

Thanks man! I'm going to do the adjustment on the cables and look for mice chew wires. We live out in the woods on 22 acres and I've pulled a few mouse nests out of my 80 and my wife's WRX. Little $ uckers. Both of the cars are driven daily and they still get in there...

I don't know if this could cause a problem, but what about an overfilled transmission? Are there any bad effects of having the trans overfilled with fluid?

Did you put in some kind of aftermarket filter? There's a screen that doesn't need to be replaced, just cleaned and probably not even that. If you added an aftermarket filter kit, this might be restricting flow of the ATF.

Just a guess.

Did you put in some kind of aftermarket filter? There's a screen that doesn't need to be replaced, just cleaned and probably not even that. If you added an aftermarket filter kit, this might be restricting flow of the ATF.

Just a guess.

There is a filter screen thing in almost every automatic trans I've ever seen and this one is no different. Maybe I could have cleaned it, but I just replaced it. Nothing aftermarket, just oem replacement and a fluid change. I'm almost certain that when I get a few hours to clean and adjust the cables things will be fixed. I'll keep you guys posted. I'm hoping to have time to do it in the next couple days, hopefully tomorrow.

Just want to report in about this issue. I finally got some time to adjust the cables. I also purchased a FSM for this thing. The transmission throttle cable is supposed to be 0-1mm of play. When I first looked at mine there was about 15mm's of play. As soon as this was tightened up to 1mm my FZJ runs like it has a new engine with a turbo charger! I can't believe what a difference in performance that made. Not to mention that it hasn't gone to neutral since the adjustment last week. Seriously though, my FZJ runs incredible and I want to thank all of you guys for your input and guidance. I'm fxxxing stoked!!! THANK YOU! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom