Fzj80 transmission help!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright guys I’ve got a question. Just brought home a 97 fzj80 with a “no reverse” issue. I put it on jack stands and noticed that my forward gears are fine. In neutral it acts like drive and will drive forward. If I put it in reverse it will lunge forward but then act like you hit the brakes and stop. Park works as it should. Fluid looks pretty clean and just below the full mark. I did have a p0755 shift solenoid b code stored. Any helps greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

I'd start here. This will be difficult to troubleshoot remotely without more info.

Attachments

• 1995, Auto Transmission, Troubleshooting, DTC P0755, Shift Solenoid B malfunction (Shift Solen...pdf
    34.4 KB · Views: 66
The solenoid doesn't but the transmission ECU does. If there's an errant fault code, you may be able to use that to trace the real fault.

I adjusted the kick down cable with no effect. Did a drain and fill with no effect also noticing the fluid didn’t smell burnt. Going to drop the pan today and check the solenoids

Testing solenoids showed they are good. Found some shavings in the pan but truck has 218k miles. So not sure it’s anything out of the ordinary. I can’t find much info as far as what the trans does when shifted into reverse. Any help guys would be appreciated

I ended up ordering a trans. Everything’s pointing at the forward clutches being welded together From what reading I have done. The truck is literally in drive in every gear. Including park.

Got a photo of the shavings you found in the pan?

Will the vehicle start in any gear?

From what I understood when I had similar issues, you are correct. It is not solenoid related but a failure elsewhere. This failure may create metal debris which can then impact the solenoid function.

I ended up replacing mine with a used unit due to challenges in finding a local rebuilder interested in taking on the task and when I checked Toyota it was NLA. I since located a NOS to have on hand for next time, which I hope never arrives!

What Type (used, reman, etc.) of replacement did you order?

From what I understood when I had similar issues, you are correct. It is not solenoid related but a failure elsewhere. This failure may create metal debris which can then impact the solenoid function.

I ended up replacing mine with a used unit due to challenges in finding a local rebuilder interested in taking on the task and when I checked Toyota it was NLA. I since located a NOS to have on hand for next time, which I hope never arrives!

What Type (used, reman, etc.) of replacement did you order?

I found a used one local. 93k miles for $500. Has a 90 day warranty so I figured it’s worth the try. Most I’ve read on these transmissions is they’re pretty stout so I figure a low mileage unit should be ok (knock on wood)

I found a used one local. 93k miles for $500. Has a 90 day warranty so I figured it’s worth the try. Most I’ve read on these transmissions is they’re pretty stout so I figure a low mileage unit should be ok (knock on wood)

Yes I agree, problems are rare.

That is the exact route, even price, that I took. I actually had to do it twice, the first used one worked great, but had a terrible leak develop the first week.

Yes I agree, problems are rare.

That is the exact route, even price, that I took. I actually had to do it twice, the first used one worked great, but had a terrible leak develop the first week.
Hoping I don’t have to deal with that lol. But we don’t have too many places around here I trust for a rebuild. And I kind of need the truck done sooner than later. So time and money just makes sense to go used right now. The core is only $50. So I may even keep my trans for either a science experiment or to rebuild

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom