FZJ80 Tapping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
94 FZJ80
A few weeks ago I decided to dive into multiple projects at once. New water pump, power steering pump, ps cooler, all new ps hoses, photoman alternator bracket, 150 amp alternator,new battery cables, coolant flush and an oil change. Along the way I chipped a tooth on the PS gear and also broke off a nipple on the radiator. Those problems were resolved and I thought everything went smoothly for the most part. This project left the land cruiser sitting for 3 weeks. Finally, finished this morning and after first start up there is a tapping noise coming from what seems to be the engine. Especially at idle. I know the ECU needs to “relearn” so I’m disregarding the funky idle that came with the noise. I assumed the belts but it didn’t seem like it was coming from them. Also, I swapped out the PS pump that was made in Mexico for the OEM one. I found a lot of this strange black plastic/silicone inside the cavity where the PS sits. Almost looked like a broken O ring. Or some sort of sealant. I scrapped out as much as I could but I know there was some in there that I couldn’t feel/see. I attached a link of the tapping noise. Any ideas on where the noise is coming from would be appreciated. I am stumped. Thanks mud!

Could use a Mechanic's Stethoscope or a large screwdriver with your ear on the handle. Are you sure the fan isn't hitting the shroud?

One time I had a strange rattle, and there were no screws in the plastic covers on top of the valve cover.

Last edited:
I had a similar sound and it was the fan hitting the shroud. Spin the fan with the motor off and see if that's it. You can also feel around for home much clearance there is around the edge of the blades.

When you did your PS pump, how did you change the gear? Sounds like it could be you dinged the teeth and now it's making noise. Seems to be the most common things for as much work as you did.

You changed so many things, it's hard to guess, but I did.

Get a stethoscope as suggested.

Sounds like the power steering pump. Its common if not done right. You can find lots of information on here about it. Mine was almost as bad. It finally went away

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll check the shroud first and get a stethoscope go from there

So while trying to find the location with a stethoscope i got a check engine light. Code 26 . Replaced both the 02 sensors with OEM sensors a couple months ago. Will dig into hat later. My idle drops from 650 to 550 when ever I turn the steering wheel and also the noise significantly quiets whenever the wheel gets turned. With the stethoscope it seems like the noise was most clear around the PS pump/ alternator so I’m guessing the gear must not be sitting right, as stated above. A little hard to tell because the tapping echoes all throughout the engine but the ps pump area seems to be a little more clear/louder. Should I just get a new gear and have a shop install it onto the pump?

Also, I had my roommate hold the gear with channel locks while I blasted it on with an impact wrench then torqued to spec. Used a couple rags to guard the teeth from the channel locks but I did notice a 2 teeth had very small knicks. I thought the noise would be a whine rather than tapping but I must’ve misread that on another post.

Also, I had my roommate hold the gear with channel locks while I blasted it on with an impact wrench then torqued to spec. Used a couple rags to guard the teeth from the channel locks but I did notice a 2 teeth had very small knicks. I thought the noise would be a whine rather than tapping but I must’ve misread that on another post.
BINGO! There's your answer!

Wit's End now makes a tool specifically for this gear swap that won't mar the gear! Channellocks are no goodnick.

I had the same problem recently. Did everything you did and more. Put it all back together and had a very similar knock. Tracked it down to the power steering pump which was a rebuilt unit. Contacted the supplier and sent a video. They sent me a new pump. Swapped the gear over to that, put it in (not an easy task when the radiator, distributor and alternator are installed), knock gone. I think people are rebuilding these pumps that are too worn to be rebuild and not testing them before they put them in inventory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom