FZJ80 starting issue, no turnover or cranking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can leave the truck in gear, ignition off, and remove the key. You can't?

No. You shouldn't be able to turn the key any further to the left than the ACC position unless the transmission is in park.

No. You shouldn't be able to turn the key any further to the left than the ACC position unless the transmission is in park.
really? i'm 99% certain my 1995 4Runner also acted this way from new so I figured it was a Toyota thing. I haven't had my 80 long but they are from the same generation.

what prevents the key from coming out with the truck NOT in Park? The ignition switch, ignition cylinder, or something else? I can't PUT the truck in gear without the key in position 1 or 2 and foot on the brake however.

Yes. I... don't trust your memory of your 4Runner.

Unfortunately, I can't help solve the problem, since I've never had to dig into that system.
i wouldn't trust it either...i barely trust it myself. instead of 99% it's probably more like 1%

found an existing thread to add to regarding the key interlock solenoid....what i THINK isn't latching so the key can be removed when it shouldn't. thanks for heads up....more gremlins to chase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom