FZJ80 Starter Trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 97 LX450 only starts when I connect the starter control terminal to directly to the positive battery terminal via jumper wire. As of right now, when I turn the key to initiate the starter there is no click or crank at all. I replaced the NSS and the ignition switch and the no start/no click, no crank symptoms still remain. Anyone have any idea where I should look next for issues?

Fusable link in good condition?
Guessing you have a CEL when key is in the ACC position or it wouldn't run anyway.

Fusible link is 2 weeks old, I have an brand new extra that I can swap in, to confirm it's working. I do see a CEL light when the key is in the ACC position, turns off when I jump the starter solenoid as the truck turns on.

What's your batt voltage at rest? I get a delay to start when batt voltage is lower than 12.1V.
It will start, but takes a few extra seconds before the starter actually kicks in.

What's your batt voltage at rest? I get a delay to start when batt voltage is lower than 12.1V.
It will start, but takes a few extra seconds before the starter actually kicks in.
I will double check the voltage tomorrow, but the battery does seem to have sufficient enough power to be able to turn the starter over.

Ford Solenoid mod needed.

The logic for the starter circuit is pretty simple on these trucks: FL AM1/Fuse AM1/ignition switch/neutral start switch/starter solenoid. Nothing else effects that circuit.
The motor side of the starter is connected directly to the battery positive terminal.
With the ignition key in the START position, what is the voltage on the starter logic terminal? Work backwards from there.

Another thought would be the port installed alarm (RS3000) which interrupts the starter logic. If you search this forum there are step by step instructions on how to remove it.
25 year old electronics are not that reliable.

Another thought would be the port installed alarm (RS3000) which interrupts the starter logic. If you search this forum there are step by step instructions on how to remove it.
25 year old electronics are not that reliable.

Yeah, this sounds about right given what I'm experiencing. Does anyone have a replacement alarm system that they are keen on?

Yeah, this sounds about right given what I'm experiencing. Does anyone have a replacement alarm system that they are keen on?
There's another thread out there on this, but I use a Compustar alarm. Not sure the model but at the time it was the only 1-way unit carried by Best Buy. Remote start, lock/unlock, and sirens. Many other options on the unit of course, including geolocation.

I do have an RS3000 security system under my seat so I will also cross that as well. To confirm, if you elect to remove the alarm box from under the seat but leave the rest of the alarm wiring/harness in place, the truck will not start correct? Wondering if there was a quick way to delete the alarm harness without going up under the dash to save some time.

I do have an RS3000 security system under my seat so I will also cross that as well. To confirm, if you elect to remove the alarm box from under the seat but leave the rest of the alarm wiring/harness in place, the truck will not start correct? Wondering if there was a quick way to delete the alarm harness without going up under the dash to save some time.
There are threads on alarm removal for both the Land Cruiser and the LX450 if you search. There are slight differences between the two.

Fusible link is 2 weeks old, I have an brand new extra that I can swap in, to confirm it's working. I do see a CEL light when the key is in the ACC position, turns off when I jump the starter solenoid as the truck turns on.
How long have you had this problem?
Just wondering if something was changed up that possibly caused it.

I had to remove mine maybe 8 years ago since it would rapidly drain the battery, I was able to just put a jumper in one of the relay sockets in the driver footwell to make everything work like normal. I'll see if I can take a picture tomorrow.

Checked the factory alarm, everything was hooked up correctly. I took a vid of it today of me holding the key to start. I also held the key over for 5 seconds, nothing, 10 seconds and nothing. Then proceeded to jump the starter solenoid straight from the battery and started right up 1st try.

Might have to bite the bullet and install a secondary starting relay to override the factory starting system.

Checked the factory alarm, everything was hooked up correctly.
What does this mean? If the factory alarm is still installed and malfunctioning, the starter will not crank. The factory alarm interrupts the starter logic path.
I would suggest diagnosing the issue rather than a Rube Goldberg type of "fix".

Last edited:
I did a visual inspection of the wires from under the seat to up under the dash, nothing looked out of the ordinary. Rather than try to diagnose or fix, I do think I'll end up ripping the entire factory alarm system out to keep it simple, then if I want re-add keyless entry via aftermarket kit as I also would want remote start.

I had the same issue of no start even with a new NSS. Bypassed with external solenoid and start switch for a year.

I troubleshoot the problem last fall and the root cause was one of the wires from the NSS (black/red) was shorted to another wire in the main harness by the EGR pipe in the engine bay.
After fixing it, no more starting issue and my cruise control worked again.

IMG_8318.jpeg

I had the same issue of no start even with a new NSS. Bypassed with external solenoid and start switch for a year.

I troubleshoot the problem last fall and the root cause was one of the wires from the NSS (black/red) was shorted to another wire in the main harness by the EGR pipe in the engine bay.
After fixing it, no more starting issue and my cruise control worked again.

View attachment 3343254
OUCH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom