FZJ80 Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After getting such great advice on Underside Protection (I decided to go with the Slee Rock Sliders and T Case Plate), I thought I would ask one more question.

My ’93 TLC will have My Wife and I, plus our four kids, in it when we head off road. For camping this will necessitate a decent Roof Rack. What are some good alternatives for Safari type Roof Racks?

I have a ’93 TLC without the factory rack. I do not want the rack to come far enough forward so that it would cover the factory Sun Roof. Thank you all for you comments in advance.

A Con-Ferr rack will fit in that location.

Garvin Industries has a couple of shorty racks that might fit your bill. They are gutter mounts.

DS:

As Cdan mentions, Garvin has a very nice rack and several cruiserheads really dig 'em. I just didn't like the looks.

ARB - awesome rack, looks great, high quality - weighs a ton (I think the full length rack weighs about 160-170lbs? but could be wrong). Here's an early pic of mine with the ARB on it. (no one give me sheet over the tire on the rack - I was in a hurry :flipoff2:)
CMCC01.jpg

Hannibal is a very light rack (maybe like 42 lbs) - but the customer support sucks worse than Photo's momma :D and it does rattle pretty bad. I need to either drive through some more bolts or pull out the spool gun and run some more weld beads across it. Here's a pic of my truck with the Hannibal. (Yes, those are 36" swampers and I was stuck - took several pulls using both winches).
Lobsterfest_0050.jpg

Depends on what you really want to use it for. The ARB's were discontinued in the US - but you can find them (I think cruiserparts.net has one - call James Valley - great guy) but I think you can also special order them from OZ too. The ARB would be my first choice for something bomber that wasn't going to be wheeled too hard in too many offcamber situations. The Hannibal would be my next choice since it's light and can handle wheeling pretty well. I'd feel comfortable putting a lot of junk up there on either one..... I use mine all the time and several times have had way more up there than I cared to.

For looks only, I greatly prefer no rack - especially since my truck did not come factory with a rack or running boards.

Here's the nekid pic.
Mike_0010_1.jpg

Tell him how much that Hannibal rack costs :eek:.

Ship weight on the long ARB(73 inch IIRC) is about 110 lbs. They are very nice racks, well made and finished nicely. A friend of mine got one from www.fj60.com a few months back

Dan

I know tradesman and Kaymar sell 3/4 length roof racks. Those may be of intrest. It wont block your sunroof, and I've heard that they are of decent quality. Not sure though, dont have either. Anyone else know anything about them?

-Bryan

Is there a short ARB that will fit the 80? I'd love a 3/4 length ARB and haven't had the cojones to get a full-length ARB and modify to my liking...

Anyone?

Is there a short ARB that will fit the 80? I'd love a 3/4 length ARB and haven't had the cojones to get a full-length ARB and modify to my liking...

Anyone?
They are out there, but tough to find. You just gotta keep looking. I had my choice when I got mine.

I THOUGHT I had seen one on a rig, thanks for at least confiming my suspicions, Junk. Here's the official word then, I'm looking for one!

Anyone?

Did you try the link I posted above?

you may contact ARB USA. they may be able to direct you to a dealer that has one.

Dan

Did you try the link I posted above?

you may contact ARB USA. they may be able to direct you to a dealer that has one.

Dan
Wrong :flipoff2: :D According to ARB it's discontinued - just like the smart goodlooking chick :eek: :D - you gotta search 'em out, but they do exist - I promise you I just saw one on a nice 70. :D

Junk,

I did say "may" :G

Sometimes distributors know if any of the dealers have discontinued stuff that they are trying to move. That's where I was going with that. :dunno:

Todd, If you find one, see if they have 2..... :G I like the look of them, I wonder if the wife would catch it if I swapped out the Garvin for one? 8)

Wrong Junk!
thefinger.gif
(it feels so good saying that)

At least as of April they were still sold in the US, but according to an ARB rep I spoke with only one dealer carries them. www.ok4wd.com

When I searched their website I didn't see them, but a quick email confirmed they do sell em.

Yeah, what Keep said..... :G

Um, Junk........Watch for the brown truck in the AM :beer:

Yeah, what Keep said..... :G

Um, Junk........Watch for the brown truck in the AM :beer:
:flipoff2: to both of ya :D

Buddy told me they were discontinued when I talked to him in Jan looking for one for a friend of mine. If you're calling OK - then make sure you talk to Chuck - good cruiser dude (has a 40 on 42's and a beater 60). They don't carry much ARB stock though as far as armor - they can get it, but if ARB don't have one in WA, then I can almost guarantee you that OK don't have one either. I live 45 mins from their shop, so if you ever need anything - give me a holler.

Oh yeah, if you tell them you know me you'll pay a penalty :flipoff2: as expected. :D

Well Junk, I'm trying to track one down! How do I get a hold of Chuck, just the main ARB USA contact number in WA?

Thanks guys, the search continues (like I really need to buy more stuff for my rig right now!)

Thanks again,

Well Junk, I'm trying to track one down! How do I get a hold of Chuck, just the main ARB USA contact number in WA?

Thanks guys, the search continues (like I really need to buy more stuff for my rig right now!)

Thanks again,
Nah - Chuck works at OK4WD - you can call him at 908.454.6973 - just tell him uncle mike said to call (no, no relation or affiliation). Buddy is the dude at ARB. OK is in NJ (eastern time zone for you west coast flakies :flipoff2: :D)

Here is the skinny on racks & ARB. They only bring them in on special order, or when there is space in the container. They do not like to include them in their orders from AUS because of the space/$ revenue issue. They can fit a lot more lockers into the same space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom