FZJ80 Power Steering Fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From my research many people have good luck with Valvoline Max Life ATF for the power steering (and in the transmission) systems. I swapped mine out with Valvoline Max Life and have no more whine.

From my research many people have good luck with Valvoline Max Life ATF for the power steering (and in the transmission) systems. I swapped mine out with Valvoline Max Life and have no more whine.

I've had excellent results and also got rid of my whiny, notchy steering with a very thorough flush with the Valvoline Max Life ATF.

There’s a good thread on this when I searched over weekend and ultimately ordered the Mobil 1 dte 24 iso 32 hydraulic fluid instead of going with leftover atf.

There’s a good thread on this when I searched over weekend and ultimately ordered the Mobil 1 dte 24 iso 32 hydraulic fluid instead of going with leftover atf.

What's leftover atf?

One plus for running ATF, by using AFT in the power steering, and transmission, that reduces the amount, and types of fluids you'll need to carry when you plan an extended off road journey.

Last edited:
One plus for running ATF, by using AFT in the power steering, and transmission, that reduces the amount, and types of fluids you'll need to carry when you plan an extended off road journey.
However, the FSM calls for a different ATF in the trans than the PS.........

I'd need to double check, but the PS it states Dexron 3.

Edited:
You are correct. The 96 FSM states Dexron 2 / 3 for both PS and AT.

Last edited:
I'd need to double check, but the PS it states Dexron 3.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm getting old, but I'm pretty sure that when my truck was made (1994) Dexron 3 didn't even exist yet.

Hence the reason why my owners manual not only calls out Dexron 2 for use in the transmission, but the manual also calls out Dexron 2 for the power steering fluid too.

So since Dexron 2 has been discontinued for years, we now use Dexron 3 in both of these systems.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm getting old, but I'm pretty sure that when my truck was made (1994) Dexron 3 didn't even exist yet.

Hence the reason why my owners manual not only calls out Dexron 2 for use in the transmission, but the manual also calls out Dexron 2 for the power steering fluid too.

So since Dexron 2 has been discontinued for years, we now use Dexron 3 in both of these systems.

You are correct.

Both the PS and the AT call for Dexron 2 / 3 in the FSM. I double checked this now that my computer is back up and running......

I stand corrected and have edited my previous post for clarity.

any FRESH hydraulic fluid or ATF is good.
change sooner rather than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom