FZJ80 or FJcruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was proposed a trade. I have a fair condition 95 locked FZJ80. Problems w/ it are: high miles 228k, burns oil, clear coat comin off on hood and fender, tear in driver seat and passenger seat doesnt move back and forth.

07 FJcruiser up for trade. 28k owed on it...18k miles, I'm assuming taking off what mines worth. Minor mod's have been done. Owned by member of TTORA.

Stick it out with the locked 80 or move on to newer model?

there is a reason an owner of an FJ would want to trade for a FZJ. Our rigs rock! I'd stick with the current and get some new seat covers and slap on some paint. That motor should still be good for another 100-200k.

Yeah. To be honest I love em both.

Disadvantages to getting it would be no lockers(at moment), higher insurance and a truck note.:crybaby:

Keep the 80.

Advantages: Locked F/R, SFA, exellent reputation, solid as a rock.

You want to trade a paid off vehicle for a monthly payment?

This only seems like a good idea to me if you were shopping for a new truck already. You can put 3k in your truck and have a basically new cruiser. New seat leathers from the vendor here would do wonders.

there will be plenty of used FJs to choose from in the future, and I don't see them holding value like LCs, simply because there are so many of them around. It will be along time before they are 'rare' and the 'wow - what is that?' factor has already worn off. Now, if he wanted to trade EVEN UP that would different!!! But you can go get yerself a 28k payment book anyday of the week - no fun in that.

Well according to :shotts: you should scrap them both and get a 100................

My friend has one and what I really do not like about the FJ is lack of visiability. Small windows like a cave. Love the 80 all the way around.

Do not get me wrong the FJ is a nice rig just I do not enjoy driving one:flamingo:

FJC is an excellent vehicle but to take a bank note of $28k on a truck w/ almost 20k miles... although it may be reasonable for that particular FJC, it is still close to a new FJC price - so you might as well buy 0miles new if you want to tackle a monthly payment of nearly $30K

keep the 80. even if you put in $2-3K/yr in repairs it's far cheaper than any tradeup. If you decide on a payment, price out a new FJC first

Keep the 80.

Post the question in the FJ forum and see if the answers are any different :) (keep the 80)

I have had a 40, a 60, and now an 80. I looked hard at the FJC, but it does not have the interior space I want, nor is it REALLY proven yet. It is a great first 4X4 for anybody, but I got over it.

If I was going to spend the money you suggest, $28K, I'd look at a Virgin 80 and extra equipment, a 100 series or a MB GELANDESWAGEN - sorry, guys, but the G Wagen is an awesome vehicle.

Mike

07 FJcruiser up for trade. 28k owed on it...18k miles, I'm assuming taking off what mines worth. Minor mod's have been done. Owned by member of TTORA.
You can buy brand new 08 FJC with off-road package (difflock) for under $26k there is absolutely no point in such trade.

I'm with the crowd that would not want to take on the monthly payment. I don't like car payments period and always buy used and pay cash. A $20k+ loan on a rapidly depreciating vehicle is not attractive to me.

If you don't mind a higher mileage vehicle and can do some of your own repair work you are better off sticking with an older vehicle like the 80 that isn't depreciating very much.

He owes 28k....he knows he will lose money in the deal. I'm getting him at the 25k mark. Plus hes taking mine. I paid 3900 (yeah, i got a good deal) on my LC in Oct. and he will give me 7k for it. So pay off of 18,000 or so?

Yall are right. I could make a badass 80 if I invest another 18k into it

Sell your 80 and buy better shape 80. Otherwise if you want FJC just sell you 80 and buy brand new FJC. You can have one for as little as $22k

If you're willing to put up that kind of money, forget the FJC. Sell your 80, buy a better one with one half the miles and mod it to your heart's content.

My friend has one and what I really do not like about the FJ is lack of visiability. Small windows like a cave. Love the 80 all the way around.

Do not get me wrong the FJ is a nice rig just I do not enjoy driving one:flamingo:

Sell your 80 and buy better shape 80. Otherwise if you want FJC just sell you 80 and buy brand new FJC. You can have one for as little as $22k

Good advice/observations from both. I drove an FJ around for a day and got over the exterior looks really fast due to the lack of visibility. I really like the way they look and was prepared to write a check but after a day gave it back to the dealer (a family friend).

I think you should maybe go with Kogan's advice. Sell your 80 to your friend that wants it....or maybe he just wants to get rid of his payments. Anyway, sell it and buy a 97 with about 120k on it for around $10 to $12k. Just don't be too picky about color, etc. if you want lockers. Otherwise, be prepared to pay a bit more (like I did) to get the color you want, with the mileage you want, with lockers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom