FZJ80: Leaking coolant and oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 96 FZJ80. Tue that I had a coolant leak and my oil was leaking faster than it normally does. I first did a coolant flush and oil change to make sure there was no mixing (There was not). After driving it sparingly this week, today (Thur) the coolant reservoir was empty. The coolant seems to be leaking somewhere on the driver side and I'm unsure of where the oil is coming from. So.. could this to an oil cooler issue? The LC is at the shop now and I'm waiting on the mechanic to diagnose the problem. Should I start looking for a new truck or is it an easy fix?

PS: Your guesses are WAY better than mine

Drivers side coolant leak common cause = PHH. What area is the oil leaking from?

Got any pics or anything? Oil cooler is on the passenger side and not really prone to leak. Common oil leaks are oil pump gasket, crank seals, distributor gasket. Common coolant leaks are heater hoses. Anything we suggest is a shot in the dark though unless you clean it up and figure out where it is leaking, then we can ID components for you.

Shoot, I wish I would have taken photos. The PHH makes a lot of sense for the coolant. All the oil seems to have leaked somewhere low near the front of the engine

Shoot, I wish I would have taken photos. The PHH makes a lot of sense for the coolant. All the oil seems to have leaked somewhere low near the front of the engine

Low and near the front could be valve cover, distributor o ring, front main, or oil pump cover. All easy to diagnose

All the above

Does the front of your engine look like this?

20170909_105015.jpg

This is what mine looked like when everything was pretty much leaking. One the upside .... it keeps away rust from road salt, so there's that.

Yup ... completely new everything. PO was AWESOME at maintenance :rolleyes:

It did make the 8 hour drive from NC to PA just fine like that though.

Fortunately, I only had to drive mine about 200 Ft. on the deferred maintenance program. I bought mine from my neighbor two doors down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom