FZJ80 Kickdown Cable has been... Cut?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mud,

About 6 months ago I bought a '94 Land Cruiser and have been working to make sure it's all well and good for daily driver duty... while daily driving it. I got a call yesterday from my shop with some weird news: the transmission kick-down cable appears to have been cut. Not sure why this would be, I can't imagine someone would do this intentionally. The weird thing is, the truck drives fine. I've put 7k miles on it since I bought it and really haven't had any crazy issues. I have noticed some shift flare from 2nd to 3rd and I have gotten used to manually taking the truck out of OD when I need to pass someone or get up a hill on the highway, which I suppose makes sense if I don't have a kick-down cable. I also don't know when the kick down cable either snapped or was chopped. Could have been before I bought it, could have been during my ownership. No way of knowing for certain, but I didn't notice any major differences in transmission characteristic over my ownership which leads me to think it's been this way for a while.

My question is, am I going to blow anything up if I keep driving it this way? I'll have to try to fix it eventually and have already gone through a few threads about it. Can't say I'm looking forward to it. But how bad is this for the transmission? Am I pushing my luck driving around like this? I can't say I'm overly confident in my ability to do it myself (I'm fine with a couple of bananas, but this seems a little more in-depth), but I'm sure it'll cost a small fortune to have someone else do. Let me know what y'all think. Thanks in advance!

Seriously doubt that the cable was cut. Without seeing a picture most cables like this break relative cleanly at at point they flex the most. The symptoms you describe are classic of a broken or incorrectly adjusted cable. On the A442F transmission the cable controls hydraulic pressures within the transmission. Low pressures in addition to your observations will cause slippage, poor clamping of the clutches and high wear. Get it fixed ASAP.

Seriously doubt that the cable was cut. Without seeing a picture most cables like this break relative cleanly at at point they flex the most. The symptoms you describe are classic of a broken or incorrectly adjusted cable. On the A442F transmission the cable controls hydraulic pressures within the transmission. Low pressures in addition to your observations will cause slippage, poor clamping of the clutches and high wear. Get it fixed ASAP.

That was my first reaction as well. The idea of someone cutting something like that is insane... but I've seen crazier. I've asked them to put together an estimate for me, but I'm already getting myself familiar with the process of replacing it in the more-than-likely event I have to tackle it myself.

Bought a 93 LC earlier this year and I experienced the same thing. Wire is cut. There is a high rev when accelerating (sudden jump from 2-3 gear). I have been thinking of buying a used throttle cable but these may also break due to age. Toyota sells the cable for ~$140 (near LA), a reputable LC shop is charging me about $500 to get it replaced, labor (3 hours) and parts. I think I will tackle this in a month or two after reading some threads here. The shop told me to get it fixed asap, it might damage the transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom