FZJ80 intermittent no start/no crank

For the past month I have been having an intermittent no start no crank condition.
  • I turn the key to start, there's a click, and no crank.
  • Happens about 5-10% of the time. In the ~10 times it's happened, 9 of them have been after I was driving for a while already and stopped for gas/errand/food or something and then it can't restart.
  • I have a second aux AGM battery. The first few times this happened I just jumped the two batteries together and it started (thinking the amps would give it a little more persuasion if the starter was getting old). Recently that hasn't worked (or maybe it never worked and it was a placebo). If I wait for a while (10-15 minutes), it has always cranked eventually and runs great.
  • Lights, radio, windows, blower all work.
  • Battery voltage is great. Had the battery tested, and it's above the rated CCA.
  • No CEL until today. Today I had a tough time getting it started. When I got it started, it had CEL codes P0335, P0340, P0385, all Crankshaft Position Sensor codes.
  • Battery connection seems solid.
So obviously I am thinking starter motor, with the theory that heat from driving is giving an early signal of the starter failing. I got a new Denso starter motor today, and I was on my way back to the house when I couldn't start again (the new starter was literally in the passenger seat) and got the CEL codes. I'm going to replace that tomorrow, but I want to make sure I have looked at all possibilities. When I got home, I was able to start it 10 times in a row, cranking strong, no CEL.

I was experiencing almost the exact same scenario (minus the CEL codes) about 3 months ago. Replaced what I thought might of been a weak starting battery (4 years old) but that didn't do it. Inspected fusible links and those looked fine. Ended up replacing the starter and it has been good ever since.

I had a similar issue which was caused by a bad starter. I had replaced the battery and fusible link that could had been the cause with no luck. How I found out that it was the starter was, whenever I was in a no start/no crank situation after stopping at a store, a good couple of smacks with a block of wood and hammer onto the starter will always get the engine running again. Eventually I got around to replacing the starter and haven't came across the issue yet.

Just experienced the same issue. I'll be sure to give the starter a whack the next time that happens. Haven't had to whack a starter in like a hundred years...lol..

Happy to report no problems since I put in a rebuilt Denso starter last week. Did many many starts since then and the starter sounds crisp! I was in some pretty remote areas this weekend, and I gotta say, I wish I had a manual. The starter is a single point of failure on an automatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom