FZJ80 Horn and Cruise Control Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997 FZJ80, 152,000 miles

My cruise control used to work, but occasionally it wouldn't engage and the light wouldn't turn on. Over time that got worse, and now cc never engages. I cant do the cruise control OBD because my light wont turn on. I was suspecting that the stalk was the issue, so this morning I took the steering wheel apart to look at it. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with it, so I put the wheel back together. I reconnected the battery and tried the horn to make sure that it still works. It didn't honk. The last time I heard it was about 3 weeks ago.

The hazards still work (fuse is good). When I press on the horn the relay doesn't click. I took the relay out and tested it with a 9 volt battery. It works fine, so the problem must be between the relay and the button. Over the past week I noticed that the steering wheel is a bit squeaky when cold.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sc...steering-column-wheel-when-it-is-cold.248678/
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sc...steering-column-wheel-when-it-is-cold.248678/

Now I am suspecting that the spiral cable is causing the horn and cc to not work. Is the spiral cable difficult to replace? Is there a way to test it?

photo(4).JPG

I just pulled mine out a couple days ago. same sort of issues, no cruise, no horn and the airbag light lit up. I took mine out and tried continuity from one wire on one side to any wire on the other with no continuity.

I did drill out the two rivets to see if I could fix it, and it is really not serviceable.

Here is a link to a thread from a couple days ago if you want to find a used part.... which no-one recommends by the way.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/clock-spring-spiral-cable-same-thing.550219/#post-9440206

Be sure to disconnect the battery and mark the steering wheel when you pull it off. also have the wheels straight ahead, as you have to center the switch.

Mine went bad because when I did the hydro assist I was spinning the wheel for fun. $200 fun :(

Thanks for the reply. Did you have to take the spiral cable out to test continuity? I would like to test it without removing if that is possible.

1997 FZJ80, 152,000 miles

My cruise control used to work, but occasionally it wouldn't engage and the light wouldn't turn on. Over time that got worse, and now cc never engages. I cant do the cruise control OBD because my light wont turn on. I was suspecting that the stalk was the issue, so this morning I took the steering wheel apart to look at it. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with it, so I put the wheel back together. I reconnected the battery and tried the horn to make sure that it still works. It didn't honk. The last time I heard it was about 3 weeks ago.

The hazards still work (fuse is good). When I press on the horn the relay doesn't click. I took the relay out and tested it with a 9 volt battery. It works fine, so the problem must be between the relay and the button. Over the past week I noticed that the steering wheel is a bit squeaky when cold.
"Scratchy" noise coming from steering column/wheel when it is cold
"Scratchy" noise coming from steering column/wheel when it is cold

Now I am suspecting that the spiral cable is causing the horn and cc to not work. Is the spiral cable difficult to replace? Is there a way to test it?
Ever resolve this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom