Fzj80 fuel consumption (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I read lots of posts about fuel consumption, and I know this trucks aren’t the most efficient on fuel, didn’t buy it for that.
But I believe my data es far below average.
Yesterday I filled up my tank. 77 litres. And my Odo read 180 miles.
So 77 litres are 20.3 us gallons. Si I am putting 8.9 mpg. This was pure city driving with 30 plus degrees Celsius.

My best reading was 12.4 mpg on highway

I am running 33” tires and a bull bar and set of drawers (not much weight really)

What should I look at in order to get better mpg?

12.4 sounds pretty average.

Less height
Less weight
More hwy friendly tires (and stock size as well)
Less stop and go
Tune up

Hi guys, I read lots of posts about fuel consumption, and I know this trucks aren’t the most efficient on fuel, didn’t buy it for that.
But I believe my data es far below average.
Yesterday I filled up my tank. 77 litres. And my Odo read 180 miles.
So 77 litres are 20.3 us gallons. Si I am putting 8.9 mpg. This was pure city driving with 30 plus degrees Celsius.

My best reading was 12.4 mpg on highway

I am running 33” tires and a bull bar and set of drawers (not much weight really)

What should I look at in order to get better mpg?
A BIG constant tailwind.

Seriously, not anything unusual: engine in tune, tires inflated for road pressure (I add a few PSI).
Mostly, drive real "easy."

Fuel economy (or lack thereof) is my only disappointment with the vehicle. I cry every time I go to the gas station. I cry a lot.

On 33's with stock gearing, I'd get 12-13 City and 13-14 highway.
Now with 33's and 4.88's I get 11-12 City and 11-12 highway.
The biggest influence on city driving mileage is to try and time the lights and never start from a dead stop.

1997, 295k miles, 17k miles on brand new factory engine, new factory exhaust system, emissions egr, etc —> 12mpg Los Angeles metro duties, rolling 37” km3s + 4.88s (effectively stock gear ratio).

There is no free lunch. You want better fuel efficiency then lighten the load and be gentle on the skinny pedal. It’s so damn simple. I regularly drive 80mph on freeways and drive defensively on local roads. I don’t try to match teslas off the line ever. My 80 is my daily duty prius not a faithful pack mule.

(There’s a megaton of threads on this topic homey)

Last edited:
Are your 33's mud terrain or all terrain? When i swapped from muds to all terrain on my '94 my mpg went from 10.4 to 13.2 on the highway. I was on 315's.

1997, 295k miles, 17k miles on brand new factory engine, new factory exhaust system, emissions egr, etc —> 12mpg Los Angeles metro duties, rolling 37” km3s + 4.88s (effectively stock gear ratio).

There is no free lunch. You want better fuel efficiency then lighten the load and be gentle on the skinny pedal. It’s so damn simple. I regularly drive 80mph on freeways and drive defensively on local roads. I don’t try to match teslas off the line ever. My 80 is my daily duty prius not a faithful pack mule.

(There’s a megaton of threads on this topic homey)
Believe me, ever since I purchased my 80, I try and search every issue I had before posting anything

I am going to replace my O2 sensors.
Also my EGR regulator is dead

Believe me, ever since I purchased my 80, I try and search every issue I had before posting anything

I am going to replace my O2 sensors.
Also my EGR regulator is dead

I have a similar setup more or less, 33 and stock gearing (that’s how I bought it). After a complete fresh OEM engine rebuild I am getting 16 mpg on the highway. This is speeds around 55-60 through rolling windy hills.

The only changes I made to the build was I deleted the Pair valve and bypassed the EGR.

Going to a part time transfer case could help mpg. Not sure if that’s an option in your area.

1996 1FZ-FE, Currently 342K miles.

From 1/1/2021 to 2/27/2023 I have averaged 11.3 MPG over 45K miles.
Best tank 14.5 MPG
Worst tank 8.2 MPG

2.5" OME lift with 285/75-16 Duratracs

Before I go on a trip that is to be more than 70 miles, I unplug my EFI fuse for a few minutes to clear my codes. This will increase my fuel mileage about 10%. When it gets used to me driving in town, it sets it up and runs more rich and they are short runs (about 1-2 miles at a time.

When I get on the highway, it runs rich unless I clear the codes and settings first.

So, if most of your trips are short and the truck is not getting fully warmed up and into open loop, it will get terrible mileage when in closed loop (think like the choke is stuck on)

I have also found there is a significant increase in mileage if I keep it under 65 MPH.

I keep it well tuned and currently have 44 LBS in the tires for highway driving, 35 PSI for city driving (better on the curbs at the mall)

Last edited:

Best tank 14.5 MPG
Worst tank 8.2 MPG

Before I go on a trip that is to be more than 70 miles, I unplug my EFI fuse for a few minutes to clear my codes. This will increase my fuel mileage about 10%. When it gets used to me driving in town, it sets it up and runs more rich and they are short runs (about 1-2 miles at a time.

When I get on the highway, it runs rich unless I clear the codes and settings first.

So, if most of your trips are short and the truck is not getting fully warmed up and into open loop, it will get terrible mileage when in closed loop (think like the choke is stuck on)

I have also found there is a significant increase in mileage if I keep it under 65 MPH.

I keep it well tuned and currently have 44 LBS in the tires for highway driving, 35 PSI for city driving (better on the curbs at the mall)
Thanks for the EFI fuse tip

Best tank 14.5 MPG
Worst tank 8.2 MPG

I find that 65/70 is the magical highway speed. If I can keep it under 70 with stock tires, I push 16mpg. With the A/T, it varies between 13-14 mpg depending on how heavy the foot is.

Good news is... With the A/T I can just hop on and off trails and forget the fuel economy sucks.

Original motor, 222,xxx miles.

New spark plugs are cheap and easy and sometimes make a difference.
I’ve done:
Spark plugs
Distributor
Spark plug cables
Vacuum hoses
Radiator
Thermostst
Water hoses
Alternator
Distributor

Need to fix:
EGR
O2 sensors

When the truck is in idle speed, I can feel some smell, “old car smell”, but can’t tell if it is from a rich mixture or from clogged exhaust system

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom