FZJ80 front and rear rockers not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just got FZJ80 has front and rear lockers.(K294). I have got it very cheap and no history of anything done on the vehicle.

It has 1FZ F(Yes! Carburetor)
Part time four wheel drive aith front manual hubs.

Today I tried to use the lockers but they are keep blinking and blinking. And my rear wheels are spinng but nothing from front wheel. I tried it both in 4H and 4L but no luck.

And also there was CDL light came on when I selected 4L. And My front manual locking hubs were not locked.

Can anybody put any light to this issue?
Where to look first?

Today I tried to use the lockers but they are keep blinking and blinking. And my rear wheels are spinng but nothing from front wheel. I tried it both in 4H and 4L but no luck.

And also there was CDL light came on when I selected 4L. And My front manual locking hubs were not locked.
If your front hubs are unlocked, you won't get drive to the front wheels.

Ok I will try that tomorrow and will post an update.

But shouldn't the CDL light come on when I go to 4L?
it should but it's real common for the sensing switch to fail and not turn on the light. If you have front and rear e-lockers they won't activate if that switch is faulty.

it should but it's real common for the sensing switch to fail and not turn on the light. If you have front and rear e-lockers they won't activate if that switch is faulty.
Ok then is there any steps to diagnoise if CDL switch is faulty or not?

I am a complete newbie.

Where should I look for the faulty switch?

Set the e-brake and chock the wheels in case that system doesn't work. Now start the truck and put your transfer case in low and listen for a motor sound sometimes you can hear it. Now shut the truck off while the transmission is in neutral (this is whey you set the e-brake and chock the wheels). Now shift the transfer case out of low into neutral, the truck is still turned off at the point.

Now jack one of the front wheels off the ground and try to spin it. If the tire spins the center diff is not locked and if it doesn't spin it is locked. If you determine that the diff is locked it's almost certain that the switch is bad.

If it's a H1FA part time transfer case, it doesn't have a CDL actuator.
The transfer case shifter will look something like this

36303-60161-C0__2_ml.jpg

It won't have a CDL button on the dash.
I think the 4WD light and CDL light are the same. Not certain though.

I think landtank is right that you need to be in 4wd before the lockers work. But the fact that you have blinking lights for front and rear locker on the dash means the locker control unit is getting the signal it needs.

Best way to test lockers is to find an open carpark, lock your hubs, engage 4wd, turn lockers on, and SLOWLY drive in a figure 8.
this should allow the lockers to engage fairly quickly.
If they don't engage doing this, then you have a problem. Probably with the actuators.

Don't expect lockers to magically engage while the truck is sitting stationary. Unlikely the locking mechanism is gonna be lined up.

I think landtank is right that you need to be in 4wd before the lockers work. But the fact that you have blinking lights for front and rear locker on the dash means the locker control unit is getting the signal it needs.
I'm quite sure that blinking lights only means the dash switch has selected the lockers to be locked. If the transfer case switch hasn't confirmed that the CDL has been locked the circuit won't try and lock the diffs and the lights will continue to blink. If it is a part time truck then there would likely be a switch to indicate that it is in 4WD and I would look there for a bad switch.

Update:

It worked. I just needed to lock the manual hubs in order to go 4wd.

Now my question is, can I drive with the locking front hubs and in H2?so that I can switch to H4 in demand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom