FZJ80 Fan Clutch Replacement (Redline Land Cruisers) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Dudes,

I did a job on my buddy Rey's FZJ80 Land Cruiser with the 1FZ-FE engine. I replaced the fan clutch with one made my Redline Land Cruisers, known as the "Blue Hub Fan Clutch Mod". Replacing a fan clutch is a pretty easy job, but maybe it will help somebody out that doesn't have much experience turning wrenches.

Happy Wrenching and Sic Mods!

Timmy

Hey Dudes,

I did a job on my buddy Rey's FZJ80 Land Cruiser with the 1FZ-FE engine. I replaced the fan clutch with one made my Redline Land Cruisers, known as the "Blue Hub Fan Clutch Mod". Replacing a fan clutch is a pretty easy job, but maybe it will help somebody out that doesn't have much experience turning wrenches.

Happy Wrenching and Sic Mods!

Timmy

Timmy, great video and very much appreciated (as well as your other Toyota videos which have been super helpful)! Your timing for this video couldn't have been better as I was just getting around to understanding more about the importance of the hub fan clutch mod and had just added the Redline Land Cruiser part to my cart to order when, no joke, about 10 minutes or so later your video posted on YouTube. I actually have the mighty 3FE not the 1FZFE so for me it's the Green Hub Fan Clutch Mod not the Blue one, but close enough for instructional purposes.:cheers:

@landtank rules (+ ih8 supporting vendor)

I bought this one as well

Who was the first to start modifying fan clutches, Land Tank or Red Line.? Just curious who copied who.

Who was the first to start modifying fan clutches, Land Tank or Red Line.? Just curious who copied who.

I think most people DIY’d and as it became popular it was offered as a service. There are some YouTubes that show you how to do it. It’s actually pretty easy.

This mod is easily 20 years old at least for the 80 series. But it’s as old as fluid couplings. Toyota even has its own different rating silicone fluid that you can buy and modify any fluid coupling yourself. At least since the 4WD Hilux days of the early 1980’s.

@RavenTai was one of the first to do it and explain it publically in terms of the 80 series. He was a Delta A&P and knew fluid dynamics inside and out.

It grew from there. @landtank was probably the first to monetize it and “personalize” the product.

Blue fan clutch mod...Thread has gone to hell, read at your own risk - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/blue-fan-clutch-mod-thread-has-gone-to-hell-read-at-your-own-risk.102633/

I’m going to say @landtank. First documented on here 17 years ago. Note: the first reply was confusion, and the second was cdan saying Rick (LandTank) is boldly going where no man has gone before.

There were a few of us looking at it. About the only thing I believe that I brought to the table was sourcing hobby shop silicone oil. This was due to the limited availability of the Toyota oil.

That long thread was a result from me having severe over heating when towing my camper with a fan clutch that was 4 or so months old.

The idea was to come up with a way to get a predictable out come from a clutch that could be used to help determine when it was failing if one was having cooling issues.

It became a dumping ground for people doing whatever and making there own recommendations.

My association to the name of the mod is just how I tune the clutch not the actual idea Of doing so.

Kevin “toolsrus” was also a contributor to the idea and worked more with the older black hubbed clutches.

I knew people could change out their own fluid from the fan clutch but what about the shortening of the temperature spring? Are DIYers doing that as well? If so, how do they know how much to shorten it? Is there a documented amount to cut off? Are they testing it by putting it in an oven? Redline advertises that their spring has been shortened to open at 95 degress. Does the Land Tank fan clutch also come with a shortened spring?

I knew people could change out their own fluid from the fan clutch but what about the shortening of the temperature spring? Are DIYers doing that as well? If so, how do they know how much to shorten it? Is there a documented amount to cut off? Are they testing it by putting it in an oven? Redline advertises that their spring has been shortened to open at 95 degress. Does the Land Tank fan clutch also come with a shortened spring?
Since they are advertising the same temperature point that I posted years ago I doubt they are shortening the spring but just as I did, rotating the control plate. Cutting a bi-metal spring and getting reliable results seems pretty tricky to me.

So, I'm assuming you're turning the control plate to where the bi-metal spring is wound tighter than stock so as the spring starts elongating due to the heat it opens faster due to it being sprung tighter?

So, I'm assuming you're turning the control plate to where the bi-metal spring is wound tighter than stock so as the spring starts elongating due to the heat it opens faster due to it being sprung tighter?
there is no physical connection between the control plate and spring. The spring is not altered from stock it anyway. Bending or cutting the spring is not something that you would want to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom