FZJ80 extended brake lines on an 1991 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got a new Man A Fre SS extended brake line kit for FZJ80s laying around and was wondering if they would fit on a 1991 FJ80? I know most places sell different kits for the FZJ / FJ so I wasn’t sure if some of these lines could be used. What do you think?

The brake line configuration is different between models because of ABS. All US spec FJ models are non-ABS. Almost all FZJ models have ABS. With ABS a separate brake line goes to each front wheel from the ABS pump. With non-ABS one line from the master cylinder goes to the axle then split to right and left.

Gotcha. So aside from the lengths being likely different, the fittings on each end will be too? So im better off just selling this Man A Fre kit than attempting to throw these on the 91 FJ80?

Fittings are most likely not an issue. Length and number of lines would be.

For those looking for an answer to this question, I went through the install process this past weekend with two 1991 HDJ81 trucks and both Slee and Man-a-Fre stainless lines for FZJ80s (not FJ80). We replaced both front and rear caliper to axle lines + frame to axle front and rear.

TLDR: Just buy the FZJ80 stainless kits for your HDJ81 or FJ80. They fit fine and are pretty easy to install. I recommend the Man-a-Fre kit for the ideal lengths, but be prepared to dremel some of the brackets for fitment.

Man-a-Fre
These have the ideal length from axle to caliper and fit very nicely. We had to grind every holding bracket front and back to make them fit, but it was really a non-issue. Super simple to do with a Dremel. I could not get the included clips to fit so we just recycled the old ones. All in all, the lines all fit very nicely.

Slee
These are longer than the Man-a-Fre kit for whatever reason. Since they are longer, they almost get to the point of kinking when connecting the axle to caliper lines -- too long for too short of a connection distance so they have a very sharp upward angle (if that makes sense). They still work fine and shouldn't cause any issue. We did not have to use the Dremel to modify the holding brackets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom