fzj80 drivetrain swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Probably not hardcore for most of you, but I am researching a 1fzfe/a442f/hf2av swap into my fj25. Has anyone done an 80 series drivetrain swap into an earlier cruiser?

I'm curious what parts I need to grab from the 80 besides the obvious (harness, ECM, TCM, intake, etc.), and what parts I don't need. I won't need to pass emissions, but I suppose it would be nice to be able to use OBD in case any problems arise.

Can I swap from electronic sensor for speedo to a cable, so I can use my 25 speedo?

Can I use the 80 series steering box, or should I go with Saginaw/Scout?

thanks for any help.
eric

Oooooo,
That would be cool, but first, measure the length of the Drivetrain you want to put in the 25.. it might be a bit on the long side (guessing here)

The die is cast. I'm going to make it work :).

The stock FZJ80 is 78" from the front of the pulley to the output flange on the transfer. :eek: You may not need a rear driveshaft, just bolt the output flange to the pinion flange! :D

It should not be a problem. The harness is fairly straight forward. The biggest wiring issue is that the engine harness is intergrated into the main truck harness. It took me a few days to lay it out and remove all not needed systems. The FZJ radiator has an extra 6mm water line running to it from the engine I suppose as a bleed line. You could easily add one to your stock radiator though. If you plan on doing the swap with all emmissions in tact, you might want to make all new fuel lines and integrate the charcol canister. It only has 2 lines going to it so no biggie. I would also use an in tank fuel pump but thats just me. I have a couple of extra FJ40 fuel tanks if you need one.
Gary

How far back can I stretch the wheelbase? Kevin is right. I won't be needing a rear shaft.

Ditching the 80 transfer case and replacing it with a 62 or mini case would gain you 8-10" and gain part time 4x4?

Yes, but is there an adapter for it? I've got a mini case laying around.

cruiserman said:
Yes, but is there an adapter for it? I've got a mini case laying around.

Short answer, no. I talked to Inchworm and he thought his new Taco/4runner adapter may work with possibly some modifications, the '95-97 FZJ80 tranys are from the same family. The first thing he wanted was some pictures, spline count and measurements of the rear of the trany that I could not provide.

thanks for the assistance. I'm going to need to stretch the wheelbase on this thing big time or swap out the t-case for mini. Mini sounds good, since I can get lower gears from Marlin, and it should be plenty strong. Just got to come up with an adapter.

Parts will be here this weekend. The fun begins . . . just wish it weren't winter time :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom