FZJ80 died while idling for 10 minutes and has been shifting slow recently (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here you go. This is the section in the FSM that will point you in the right direction, let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for this.

I'm not going to "Bogart" these guys thread so I may start another with my latest fun.

Not convinced the Xmsn and the engine dying aren't related. I have been going through some odd symptoms lately as well. Started with xmsn shifting late. Would have to let off the gas just to get it to shift. Start the truck back up a few minutes later and it would show no symptoms. Sometimes it would be fine for days. Then it started getting worse, sometimes it would die when coming to a stop or when just idling. Changed the shift solenoids, fluids/ filteres and adjusted kick down. Problem disappeared for about 2 weeks. Now its back out of nowhere. Pretty sure its an electrical problem that is affecting both xmsn and engine.

My headgasket was replaced at 100k cuz my EX sat in a July parking lot in Denver with the AC running full tilt for an hour, specifically after I told her never to do that.
In retrospect I'm glad the HG job was done and in all respects I'm glad the 80 is the only one of the two still here.

Not convinced the Xmsn and the engine dying aren't related. I have been going through some odd symptoms lately as well. Started with xmsn shifting late. Would have to let off the gas just to get it to shift. Start the truck back up a few minutes later and it would show no symptoms. Sometimes it would be fine for days. Then it started getting worse, sometimes it would die when coming to a stop or when just idling. Changed the shift solenoids, fluids/ filteres and adjusted kick down. Problem disappeared for about 2 weeks. Now its back out of nowhere. Pretty sure its an electrical problem that is affecting both xmsn and engine.
Late to the party here, but this is what I was going to mention when I just read through the thread. While a properly functioning transmission should not cause any issues with the engine at idle, that may not be the case with a problematic transmission. If the torque converter has broken vanes or a clutch pack is sticking or the valve body is screwing up it can cause the transmission to drag and stall an engine. So don't ignore the transmission assuming that it isn't an issue. As for slow shifting, if it's like the description above, that's not a good thing. When you say slow shifting, can you be more specific?

My headgasket was replaced at 100k cuz my EX sat in a July parking lot in Denver with the AC running full tilt for an hour, specifically after I told her never to do that.
In retrospect I'm glad the HG job was done and in all respects I'm glad the 80 is the only one of the two still here.
Head gasket blew because it sat for an hour with the AC on? I'm fairly new to 80's, this an 80 thing?

Head gasket blew because it sat for an hour with the AC on? I'm fairly new to 80's, this an 80 thing?
The 93-97 1FZ-FE were known for the first gen HG to blow. They would blow for various reasons and would decide to fail between 100K to 300K miles. The 97's are less likely, but the early ones were definitely an issue. The HG on my 96 (8/95) went at 145K.

After it was done once and replaced with the gen 2 HG from Toyota, they have not seemed to have another issue.

This is one of the key reasons people ask for service records on these trucks.

It's not "because it idled for an hour with the AC on".

I have literally had my truck idle for 6 hours with the AC on, to the point the water was condensing on the OUTSIDE of the windows. I was up on high steel and was within visual of my truck the entire time, but when I went up, it was supposed to only be for 30 minutes...........

Gotta say, it felt REALLY good to climb into a refrigerator after being up there and that hot for that long!

Nope. or at least it shouldn't be. First off the ECU will kill the AC if the engine temps climb above a certain point and second a cooling system that has reasonable maintenance should be more than capable of transferring heat from the engine.

The 93-97 1FZ-FE were known for the first gen HG to blow. They would blow for various reasons and would decide to fail between 100K to 300K miles. The 97's are less likely, but the early ones were definitely an issue. The HG on my 96 (8/95) went at 145K.

After it was done once and replaced with the gen 2 HG from Toyota, they have not seemed to have another issue.

This is one of the key reasons people ask for service records on these trucks.

It's not "because it idled for an hour with the AC on".

I have literally had my truck idle for 6 hours with the AC on, to the point the water was condensing on the OUTSIDE of the windows. I was up on high steel and was within visual of my truck the entire time, but when I went up, it was supposed to only be for 30 minutes...........

Gotta say, it felt REALLY good to climb into a refrigerator after being up there and that hot for that long!
Good to know, thanks. I got this 97 LX from a buddy who just drove it, and apparently, the PO just drove it too. So I'm going through and doing all the stuff that should have been done years ago. One of the items I replaced was the AC condenser because the cooling vanes throughout the mid-bottom-center section were corroded and falling away, and since I had the radiator out as a preventative replacement anyway, wasn't a big deal. Not happy about breaking the seals, but I'll pull a vacuum, and I had new AC o-rings anyway. So I'm hoping with it being a 97 I've got a couple of years before I have to worry about it, but I'll add it to the list of To-Do's and get a good updated Toyota gasket for that day.

Good to know, thanks. I got this 97 LX from a buddy who just drove it, and apparently, the PO just drove it too. So I'm going through and doing all the stuff that should have been done years ago. One of the items I replaced was the AC condenser because the cooling vanes throughout the mid-bottom-center section were corroded and falling away, and since I had the radiator out as a preventative replacement anyway, wasn't a big deal. Not happy about breaking the seals, but I'll pull a vacuum, and I had new AC o-rings anyway. So I'm hoping with it being a 97 I've got a couple of years before I have to worry about it, but I'll add it to the list of To-Do's and get a good updated Toyota gasket for that day.
Since you've got the AC system open anyway, may consider going in from the inside and replacing the orifice and the expansion valve and clean the evaporator on the interior. This way, it's all cleaned and ready to go.

Well it overheated, the HG went, and I replaced it. I always assumed it was cause and effect. Shrug.

Well it overheated, the HG went, and I replaced it. I always assumed it was cause and effect. Shrug.
That could have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

The one on mine was a 16 YO kid that had no respect for a vehicle and a family that did zero maintenance.

I was fortunate to get mine AFTER they paid to replace the HG.......

Since you've got the AC system open anyway, may consider going in from the inside and replacing the orifice and the expansion valve and clean the evaporator on the interior. This way, it's all cleaned and ready to go.
Good thinking! I've not dug into one of these before, how bad of a job is it?

Good thinking! I've not dug into one of these before, how bad of a job is it?
The AC is easier than the heater core. I am going to guess about 4 hours on the interior in addition to what you're doing on the outside.

@flintknapper can advise better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom