FZJ80 Cranks, No Start after HG Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also notice that you don't have the bands tightened on the air intake tube. Unmetered air can make it run rough. Make sure that is all connected back and snug.

I may have found the culprit. After removing the upper plenum, I found that I had earlier not attached a VSV. But I have no idea where it might belong since I already have two VSVs attached. The photo shows the upper plenum with the additional VSV in my hand.
IMG_20210916_094220.jpg

I may have found the culprit. After removing the upper plenum, I found that I had earlier not attached a VSV. But I have no idea where it might belong since I already have two VSVs attached. The photo shows the upper plenum with the additional VSV in my hand.View attachment 2787636
Put everything back together, but this time do it deliberately. Follow the FSM step by step then triple check it. Slow and methodical. Use a torque wrench. Use new hoses if the old ones feel stiff.

Put everything back together, but this time do it deliberately. Follow the FSM step by step then triple check it. Slow and methodical. Use a torque wrench. Use new hoses if the old ones feel stiff.
Excellent points. I followed the FSM and took my time and replaced a few hoses and clamps while I was in there. The result: no more rough idle!

But...now the car stalls after about 30 seconds. I'm wondering if the battery light and the stalling has anything to do with the Sequoia alternator I installed for the photoman upgrade? I also heard a mechanical whirring noise. Any chance it could be a bad alternator or might it be something else?

Excellent points. I followed the FSM and took my time and replaced a few hoses and clamps while I was in there. The result: no more rough idle!

But...now the car stalls after about 30 seconds. I'm wondering if the battery light and the stalling has anything to do with the Sequoia alternator I installed for the photoman upgrade? I also heard a mechanical whirring noise. Any chance it could be a bad alternator or might it be something else?

Your belts are loose.

You need to add ATF to your power steering system.

Your belts are loose.

You need to add ATF to your power steering system.
Done and done! I think I need to continue to adjust the throttle cable and I might have an errant leak somewhere still because the idle is a bit high. The blue fan clutch mod can be heard working well in the video. The smoke is from some high temp paint coming off the exhaust side because, well, it sucked.

Thank you @BILT4ME @zapatius @flintknapper and @jonheld for taking the time to give me your wisdom. I'm about to visit family for a few weeks before I come back to the truck and tackle this again to make it roadworthy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom