1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZJ80 Cargo Mats

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Ben6, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Ben6

Ben6

Since I can't find a used Toyota cargo mat I was thinking about purchasing an aftermarket one. I know that Spector has one on their site that is suppose to match the factory interior, but it looks really blue in the picture. Does anyone have any experience with that mat or any other aftermarket carpeted cargo mats?

2. cruiserman

cruiserman

I got a Weathertech liner for the cargo area. It's got a lip around the edge, and it can be cutout for the tie down hooks and 3rd row seats.

3. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

Albums:
    I got mine at eBay. It was a carpeted mat with the Lexus logo on it. I also have the Husky mat that I use to haul the dirty stuff.

4. Docmallory

Docmallory Guest

I just went to Tractor Supply today and bought a $30 4'x6' rubber mat. It's almost an inch thick (and darn heavy)! I plan to trim it to fit the floor pattern, so I estimate the finished size and weight will be quite reasonable.

I chose this route because my faithful canine friends will be riding in the back a lot, and this will give them a sure-footed and comfortable place to lie/sit. I feared that a plastic mat would be too slippery and I hate vacuuming dog hair out of carpet. (Yellow, stiff-haired dog and brown carpet = bad) Plus, I don't have to worry about their feet getting injured on the cut-outs for the 3rd row seat anchors.

On a very related note, has anyone here devised a way to protect the carpet on the tailgate?

5. greglomax

greglomax

Thanks Docmallory for patronizing your local Tractor Supply. We TSC employees really appreicate that.

6. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

[quote author=Docmallory link=board=2;threadid=12434;start=msg114163#msg114163 date=1078287658]
    On a very related note, has anyone here devised a way to protect the carpet on the tailgate?
    [/quote]
    [glow=black,2,2]This isn't a great solution , but I was in a hurry .... needed to use the tailgate all the time to sharpen my chainsaws etc ... didn't want chain oil and gas etc getting into the carpet .

I was at work and rooted around the base , I found some red isolation bags ... like big red garbage bags ... popped off the carpeted piece , and cut open a bag , so it was as long as the gate ++ , and then simply wrapped it around the carpeted pc , and taped the other side with trauma tape ::) Worked for years ...[/glow]

[color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

7. PDoyle

PDoyle

If you guys are looking for OEM mats, check with CDan. He quoted me much less $$$ for front mats...

8. Tank

Tank

I just bought a new pair from Dano. Package comes with both front and middle row mat. OEM baby, the only way to go.

9. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    The OEM cargo mats have been discontinued for some time now. As for tail gate coverage, I have a sheet of 1/4 inch thick 6061 aluminum on mine:

10. Ben6

Ben6

I appreciate everyone's assistance. I looked at the alternatives suggested, but in the end decided to go with the spector cargo mat. It was one of the more reasonable priced alternatives and it was the only one that was supposed to match the OEM interior color. Once I get them (I bought two) I will post a product review. BTW, I purchased OEM mats for the rest of the vehicle from Dan, and would have purchased the cargo mat from him too if it hadn't been discontinued. He does always seem to have the best price, but even if he didn't, his free advice on the board would more than make up for any price differential.

Thanks
    Ben

11. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

Albums:
    I like CDan's setup on the tailgate protection. I wonder if aluminum sheet can be velcro'd on the carpet for temporary protection?

12. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    That panel weighs about 22 lbs. I would not recommend trying to attach it with anything less than a bunch of screws. I would be concerned about it becomming a "missile" in a collision or roll-over.

D-

13. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

[quote author=97 FZJ80 link=board=2;threadid=12434;start=msg114329#msg114329 date=1078326089]
    I like CDan's setup on the tailgate protection. I wonder if aluminum sheet can be velcro'd on the carpet for temporary protection?
    [/quote]

Velcro would not hold it when the gate is slammed shut. I've been looking for the tailgate piece from a p.u. bedliner to fabricate into something light weight that I could attach when needed. I was thinking of using some kind of snap/clip to secure it. The plastic bedliner piece would be less likely to hurt someone if it wasn't screwed down as CDan suggested.

14. Klunky Chris

Klunky Chris

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=12434;start=msg114365#msg114365 date=1078329979]
    That panel weighs about 22 lbs. I would not recommend trying to attach it with anything less than a bunch of screws. I would be concerned about it becomming a "missile" in a collision or roll-over.
    [/quote]

I think you mean "Spinning Sawblade Of Death!" :D

15. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    Might not be what your looking for but I picked up a set of front rubber mats for my 100 today, made by Nifty(ordered thru the local Toyota dealer), they are fitted don't move around(kinda screw into the carpet) I like em alot better than the Huskys, $70 for the front pair. They make a rear mat as well.

16. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

yea, and ours do say "Landcruiser" on them too, in case I forgot what I'm driving that day... :D
    E

17. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

[glow=black,2,2]I've always liked the Huskys , with one exception ... when the climate chills off they tend to to their own thang . As in curl up . Nothing drastic .. just enough to piss ya off a little . The small 'wings' :D distal of the main rear cargo body start to roll up a bit , and don't sit down nicely in that area . The fronts curl a little also ......... but the middle mat is perfect ![/glow]
    [color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

18. Ben6

Ben6

My SOR cargo mat (carpeted) came in last night. SOR did a good job matching the grey interior. In comparing them to the new OEM mats I bought (front and second row), I noticed that the binding around the edges is different. The OEM mats use a thread binding which looks a little nicer. However, the binding on the SOR mat may actually be more durable (only time will tell). The only complaint I have is that the four cut out holes for the rear jump seats are not bound (just rough cut). Having never seen a OEM cargo mat, I'm not sure if the cut outs are bound on it either. Anyway, its a minor complaint. My initial impression of the SOR is positive. I am happy with my purchase.

19. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

[glow=black,2,2]Ben ,

Here is a suggestion to perhaps increase the longevity of your rear mat's jumpseat cut-outs . Take that mat to an upholstery place , or even a carpet warehouse . They will definately be able to refer you to a place that will do the binding on it for you . Make sure you get them 'serged' though , as there are diferent methods for binding ... cheap , and the right way :D

Good luck -- :cheers:[/glow]