FZJ80 Block Heater? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jomama

Lucideye
Threads
My Texas truck is now in Alaska, and is parked outside. Is there a OEM block heater for a 1993 80 series (Part # would be most usefull) ?

Toyota does not offer OEM block heaters. Dealers can get Pyroil block heaters thru Toyota's "associated Products Program". I have a 2003 book in front of me and Landcruisers are not listed. I'm out of the office tomorrow but I'll call them on Wednesday and see if they have an application for the 1FZ motor.

I imagine that the Alaska dealers would have a line on some from somewhere as they are quite popular for that market. I don't get too many requests for them here in the desert ::)

Dan.

Doug? My brother's had one for many years, I think he was still with Toyota when he got his. I may need one this year too.

Just call the local dealer in Alaska. They will be able to supply you with one. Almost all of the dealers in Canada stock block heaters. Mine was originally from Vancouver B.C. and did not come with one. I just called the dealer closest to me and had it the next day.
Regards,
Sean

I bought mine in Anchorage at the Toyota dealer and they had it in stock. About $40.00 if I remember correctly in 1997 or 1998. I thought it was a Toyota item since they had it in stock at the parts counter but could be wrong. The dealer was on HWY 1 (Glenn HWY) a few blocks toward the city from Merrill Field I think. FWIW the block heater goes in a freeze/expansion hole above and forward of the oil filter (at least on a 97). If you want a pic let me know. Hope this helps.
Bill

Thanks, I'll check out the toy dealership. Not that I want to :flipoff2: the dealership, but I was hoping to not pay the "alaska" price :mad: by purchasing online ($40 isn't bad, but I'd of been suprised to hear that $$$ from the parts guys mouth)..

If you choose to have someone else install the block heater. Make sure they REMOVE the frost plug. Some lazy mechanics just knock it into the engine block :eek:. I know this fom working in a car dealership when I was younger.
Sean

[quote author=MTNRAT link=board=2;threadid=4420;start=msg33178#msg33178 date=1061303101]
If you choose to have someone else install the block heater. Make sure they REMOVE the frost plug. Some lazy mechanics just knock it into the engine block :eek:. I know this fom working in a car dealership when I was younger.
Sean
[/quote]
LOL Sean. You're not saying you've done that are you? :eek: :D :flipoff2: :D

Actually.... No, I was the only one who didn't. Oh ya if buy a new car they don't nessesarily have certified mechanics do the pre delivery inspection. :D :D :flipoff2: :D :D. So really check it out :D :D
Sean

Yeah found that out. Got my 97 used and demanded, among other things, to have a trailer hitch (hey, just wanted free crap :flipoff2:). Those bung holes did the worst wiring job I'd ever seen next to the www.cornholeconnection.com guys. I had bare wire shorting out 7 weeks after I picked up the darn truck (prob would have been sooner, but remember, I blew my engine 5 days after picking it up). :'( :flipoff2: :'(

I installed a Toyota factory block heater in my '93 back in '94. I also have one laying on my workbench I've been trying to find a use for since '94. It is a P/N 00213-00123 and shows it works in a variety of Toyota products. For some reason, the app guide that is in the box with it only goes as far as the 3FE on the Cruiser. That P/N is 00213-00162 for the 1988-'91 Cruisers. Perhaps these will be helpful in a dealer cross referencing for the '93 model.

The install was simple, but required a couple tricks from a Toyota Master Mechanic w/20 years experience to make it a 1 banana job. We also discussed the "pop the freeze plug into the block" option and he assured me it would simply fall to the bottom of the water jacket and sit there, which it did. I called a top powertrain engineer buddy at Toyota HQ who agreed.

Perhaps Toyota's not making them anymore, or not enough volume to sell them in the US market? Anyhow, I've heard the water jacket models like mine are more efficient than the oil pan type. Mine works exceedingly well. The engine starts in warm mode when it's 20 degrees out! Meaning, no cold start idle speed, etc. However, it's worth noting that the engine will then beat the crap out of a cold tranny/drivetrain if you're not thinking. I use a cheap vacation lamp timer to turn on the heater 90 minutes before morning startup to save electricity. I also made a bright orange cord holder that sits on the hood, so I can't drive away plugged in.

IdahoDoug

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=4420;start=msg33960#msg33960 date=1061534932]
I also have one laying on my workbench I've been trying to find a use for since '94.[/quote]
Hey, not like you don't know someone with an 80 living in a cold climate! Sell me that bad boy so Debbie and I can fight over it. Stick it in Tonya's luggage before she comes out here. I'll give her some starter parts for the return trip, airport security loves that stuff.

Doug,

You have a very nice NOS part there. They have been gone for a long time. ;) I think Scott should be made to pay handsomely for it. :D . The original Toyota block heaters sold in the US were made in Canada. I do not know who the vendor was but I imagine they are still around. Block heaters were dropped a few years ago and the Associated Products Program picked them up. I ordered one from them a while back for a 3.0 V6 and it came in a box that said "Toyota Canada Inc" and "made in Canada"

Maybe Hugh or Simon or Tyler could check with one of their local dealers to see if they have a listing.

Dan.

Scott,

If you (or anybody) can verify this is the correct one for the 80, it's yours - but you've gotta move fast. They're leaving Tuesday. This is indeed made in Canada and has no mfr's name. Here are the other marks on the heating element:

400W 115V 1020
Made in Canada (symbol w/ "C" surrounding letters "SA") LR20976

The box gives the P/N provided earlier 00213-00123 and shows I bought it in January 1994. The instructions show that this heater fits a lot of models, but as I said the instructions were printed 6-91 and don't even refer to the 1FZ. Interesting that each model listed has a specific freeze plug, and direction the heater element should point (deliniated as though it were a clock face).

I don't hold much hope this is the correct one, but perhaps someone here can figure it out. I bought it for Tonya's '87 Supra 3.0 twincam straight six.

IdahoDoug

Doug,

I may have an old listing that I can dig out to see what motors that one fits.

I'll check it out. I keep at least one price book per year going back to the late 80's

Dan.

Anyone installed a block heater in the last 5-10 years and not burned down the garage? Just wondering how they've working out...

Anyone installed a block heater in the last 5-10 years and not burned down the garage? Just wondering how they've working out...

20221116_111324.jpg

Oil is more important to heat up than the coolant imo.. if I still lived in Alaska I'd have both, here in Washington I'm fine with just oil heating at around 32 degrees this thing will get the oil to around 130f in an about 45 min-1hr. it's 400 watts. I tested the probe in a gallon of oil in a milk jug and it got up to 212 very fast like 20 min but I think that's because it was in a plastic jug vs being in a metal pan connected to a metal engine block that's constantly sucking up the heat out of the oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom