FZJ80 AC Help - In the process of trying to recharge! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As a side note for those (like me) that don't do much A/C work....words to live by when charging that were passed down to me by some techs that work on Data Center CRAC units with very large compressors.

Low you live...high you die. Rhyme makes it easier for me to remember :)

As a side note for those (like me) that don't do much A/C work....words to live by when charging that were passed down to me by some techs that work on Data Center CRAC units with very large compressors.

Low you live...high you die. Rhyme makes it easier for me to remember :)
^^^^^
Good advice for the novice to remember. There are a plethora of mistakes that can be made when charging (attempting to charge) an A/C system. The consequences of which run the gamut from potentially exploding a small can to simply having poor performance after all your hard work.

BUT...the high side warning cited is not all encompassing.

For instance: Once the system has been evacuated, pumped down (into vacuum) and you are ready to charge the unit...the fastest, easiest way to get an initial charge into the system (first small can) is to charge it as a liquid through the high side UNDER VERY SPECIFIC CONDITIONS.

1. ENGINE OFF/SYSTEM OFF
2. The initial amount is charged as a liquid into 'vacuum'. (Engine off/system off). Then you will close your high side valve and it WILL NOT be opened again. The rest of the charge will be done through the low side (engine on/system on) into suction.

Why do we do this (high side charge)?

By placing the initial charge into the high side (as a liquid, into vacuum, engine off) you immediately satisfy the minimum pressure needed to activate the Binary/Trinary switch (Low/High pressure switch) which will allow your Compressor to come on right away when you start the engine and turn the system on. It also places the refrigerant closest to the TXV and evaporator which is the final spot the refrigerant is before entering the compressor. Remember...it is the refrigerant that carries the lubricating oil throughout the system (though some small amounts remain in the compressor and drier).

You won't see the 'Pro's' using any other method.

But IMO....a novice should NOT be doing full system work UNLESS they fully equip themselves and COMPLETELY understand the process. (I.E. which valves are to be open when, how to read the gauges, purge lines, pull a proper vacuum, etc).

It can be done successfully, but requires an investment in equipment (or rental). I encourage folks to learn about A/C systems and how they work (or don't work) but most people will not devote the time necessary to understand some very important principles and end up trying take 'short cuts'. If you take short cuts with the A/C system or do shoddy work, you (or someone else) will be doing it again (the right way). Probably right away...maybe after awhile...but you'll be doing it all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom