FZJ80 AC Help - In the process of trying to recharge! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalFJ100

SILVER Star
Threads
Happy Super Bowl Sunday to all you watching! I am sure this thread will get some traction later tonight or tomorrow. Haha.

Okay, so some backstory....I bought the truck with a bad motor and the hard line to the AC Drier broken. So have no idea condition of AC previously. When I removed the motor I removed all AC and blocked any hard line open holes. The AC drier however was left to the elements with a hole from where the pipe broke.

When I removed the AC Compressor I wasn't very educated at the time with AC systems and a bunch of oil came out of it...no idea how much. I proceeded to try and remove the balance of what was in there.

Fast forward to today. New motor is in. All is well. Didn't touch the AC at first...things are starting to heat up in SoCal! Need to get on the AC.

1.) Bought a new drier line from the dealer. Replaced all the o-rings from the hardlines I removed. Bolted it all back together.

2.) I added the proper oil to the compressor. Unsure of how much is in there (although I couldn't really get more to come out) I added about half the bottle. I think I also made a mistake here and should have added more.

3.) Bought a vacuum pump from Amazon. Proceeded to pull a vacuum and it got to about 28 HCG. I held it there for about an hour. All was stable.

4.) Ran the vacuum for about another hour to attempt to pull any moisture etc from the system.

5.) This is where I think I really messed up...I hooked up the first can of 134a and opened both valves with the truck running. First can emptied pretty quick. The second can I had to mess with and shake it...I thought I got it all out, but it was probably 90% of it. The third can I really had to fight with and only got about half out. Can froze up several times, etc.

Now I have no cold air. I have no idea the condition of the compressor, expansion valve and hindsight I should of at replaced the drier unit when I ordered that replacement hard line.

6.) I closed up the garage last night. Woke up this morning and connected the high and low side. Opened both valves and the reported the same PSI on both sides. To be expected with the AC off.

7.) I turned the truck on and AC on...The high and low side raised PSI slightly to 75 and they were the same on both sides. Picture below, not a great one. I realize part of the high side gauge was covered, but it was the same.

Today is about 72 outside. 41% Humidity.

Question: Should I just plan to evacuate the system, replace the compressor, expansion valve and drier? What about condenser? I just want this thing to be dialed in and problem free. I spent so much time on the rest of the truck. She's a lifer at this point.

THANKS MUD!!!!!!!!!!!

2020-02-02 12.19.29.jpg

I was also thinking about replacing this hard line if I have to take this all apart again anyway...Thoughts?
2020-02-02 12.19.41.jpg

You should find a tutorial about how to charge an A/C system before continuing.

You don't open the high side while charging. You opened both sides, equalizing the pressure. You should have opened only the low side of the gauge set, which would pull the refrigerant into the system.

You should start from scratch, and you should always replace the drier when a system has been opened for any length of time.

Make sure you understand how to do the job before you start, and/or get a pro involved.

@-Spike- Duly noted. Thank you. As I am dealing with the collateral damage of making some mistakes...After I read several tutorials, I just need some help to fix the issue.

I understand I will need to evacuate the system. Makes sense. I am just trying to figure out if I should at the same time, just go ahead and proactively replace the AC Compressor, expansion valve and what you suggested - the drier.

It's such a hassle to evacuate the system and the freon isn't cheap, I just don't want to keep taking it apart.

Thanks for your help!

I would at least replace the expansion valve. They are known to go bad. Mine did. Cant really give any advice on the compressor .

When i redid mine. To ensure a proper working system. I changed the compressor, condenser, evap, drier and blower. Flushed all lines with whatever ac cleaner you can get from the store. After putting everything back together. I vacuumed the system for a while using a harbor freight vacuum. Then I brought it to a shop to vacuum further and get recharged. Amount of freon is on the r134a sticker by the radiator. Max 1.98 lbs min 1.76 lbs. i tried recharging the system myself before but was not successful. I believe recharge is about $75-100.

@secretasiansam Great, thank you! Did you buy OEM or the Denso unit?

@ARB777 Thanks for the tip. Probably the best way to go. Did you buy all Denso stuff or OEM? I priced all the Denso stuff from Rockauto and Amazon and it's pretty darn reasonable to change all that stuff.

@ARB777 Thanks for the tip. Probably the best way to go. Did you buy all Denso stuff or OEM? I priced all the Denso stuff from Rockauto and Amazon and it's pretty darn reasonable to change all that stuff.
I used Denso stuff a couple summers ago. No issues and I have Arctic air now.

All denso from amazon. Only thing you may reconsider is the condenser. Theres a direct bolt on parallel flow nissen condenser for our cruiser. Its smaller in dimension but more efficient.

@ARB777 that's great. I was talking to @NLXTACY and he told me about that condenser as well. I'll have to look that up.

My drier is old and was exposed to the elements for quite a while. It had a broken hard line. Replaced that hard line. Didn't know all the info on how crucial the drier is. The Denso unit is only like $20 too. OEM is around $40.

I believe Denso is the original supplier for many of the A/C parts.

@-Spike- Ideally I'd rather have it black though.
Logically, maybe you wouldn't. The black is paint, which may be an insulator. Probably not a noticeable difference, but that sort of thing keeps me up nights.

Ordered a new Denso compressor. Amazon had it for $156 - Hope it's not a fake!

Amazon product ASIN B001UC9IM8
Ordered an expansion valve and new drier.

Now just need to decide on the condenser. Which I see the perks of upgrading it, but have also read numerous counts of the factory/denso stuff working just fine.

So many mistakes and 'unknowns' (condition of components).

At this juncture...you'd do well enlist the services of a professional if you hope to retain any still usable parts....or if you plan to do the job yourself, you really should start with new components (everything except your lines). We can walk you through the pump down and charging procedure if you are still unsure about that.

But if it were me..I'd flush the lines, replace the Condenser, Drier, Compressor, Evaporator and TXV. Then pump it down. Add the 8 ozs of PAG46 (total for system) and weigh in the refrigerant amount. You are learning a hard lesson that far too many folks experience. ***A/C work is costly and MUST be done precisely*** or you'll be doing it all over again. Do it right the first time.

In cases such as yours...where so many components were/are of unknown condition....the job is quite likely to become a major project. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen folks try to just 'button a system back up' get a few cans of refrigerant and 'pour in the cool'....only to be sorely disappointed.

So many mistakes and 'unknowns' (condition of components).

At this juncture...you'd do well enlist the services of a professional if you hope to retain any still usable parts....or if you plan to do the job yourself, you really should start with new components (everything except your lines). We can walk you through the pump down and charging procedure if you are still unsure about that.

But if it were me..I'd flush the lines, replace the Condenser, Drier, Compressor, Evaporator and TXV. Then pump it down. Add the 8 ozs of PAG46 (total for system) and weigh in the refrigerant amount. You are learning a hard lesson that far too many folks experience. ***A/C work is costly and MUST be done precisely*** or you'll be doing it all over again. Do it right the first time.

In cases such as yours...where so many components were/are of unknown condition....the job is quite likely to become a major project. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen folks try to just 'button a system back up' get a few cans of refrigerant and 'pour in the cool'....only to be sorely disappointed.

Well said. I am very enterprising when it comes to mechanic work. I need to start a retro build thread...but I have completely gone over and R&R'd pretty much every moving part...Last to tackle was the AC. And you are totally right, I took that process for granted! Haha...that and also being cheap. I have invested loads into this truck so far. With that said, why cheap out now.

I ordered a new compressor, drier, expansion valve. Deciding on the condenser (Denso or Nissen.)

Do you think the Denso Evap is good? Amazon has a good price:
Amazon product ASIN B008PJDBOK
OEM is about a $120 more:

So far I have ordered all Denso replacement parts from Amazon.

Thank you so much!

Well said. I am very enterprising when it comes to mechanic work. I need to start a retro build thread...but I have completely gone over and R&R'd pretty much every moving part...Last to tackle was the AC. And you are totally right, I took that process for granted! Haha...that and also being cheap. I have invested loads into this truck so far. With that said, why cheap out now.

I ordered a new compressor, drier, expansion valve. Deciding on the condenser (Denso or Nissen.)

Do you think the Denso Evap is good? Amazon has a good price:
Amazon product ASIN B008PJDBOK
OEM is about a $120 more:

So far I have ordered all Denso replacement parts from Amazon.

Thank you so much!

Denso Evap is perfect. Don't spend extra on that part. The Denso will serve you well for many years to come. For the condenser....you'd be wise to take this opportunity to upgrade (in technology) and go with the NISSEN (94184 I believe). It is parallel flow vs. the old Serpentine multi-tube construction of the Denso. Since you are in a hot climate...the better performance will be appreciated.

When you get ready to pump the system down and recharge it....PM me and I'll walk you through it. I'll tell you how to charge the first can into vacuum though the high side, engine off, system off (and explain why we do that). The remainder will be charged into the low side (engine running, system on). Starting 'new' is actually the easiest way to recharge the system....since we know we have good components and can add a precise amount of oil and refrigerant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom