FZJ80 4.5, 1996, Cranks but Won't Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everybody. I have only just come across this site, despite owning my Landcruiser 80 for 20 years. I am hoping that the collective wisdom of members here may be able to help with this problem. This amazing vehicle is like a member of the family and I don't want to give up on it! I parked up the other evening, went to start it the next morning and the engine turned but it would not start. I have established that there is fuel, spark and compression. That has brought me to the end of my mechanical expertise. A few points that may help: it is fitted with an LPG system; and the plugs are very wet after I have turned the engine over, as if there is excessive fuel going through. I have asked my local mechanic to have a look at it but he is also mystified, one issue being that I live in Greece and this model was not sold in Greece. So the mechanics here don't have any experience with the 4.5 petrol engine. It occurred to me that the problem may be something to do with the immobiliser, but would I still be getting fuel and spark if it had somehow immobilised itself? Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Can’t comment on the lpg conversion. The 1fz has an igniter located in the bay near the fender underneath the brake master cylinder. I think it’s mounted on a bracket off the chassis. Check it’s ok.

Do you have a CEL on the dash with the key in the RUN position?

If not, then the ECU is not ready to run.

This could be part of the immobilizer, the MAF sensor not operating, or other things.

The fact that there is an LPG system on it, the folks in AUS may be more help.

Any recent maintenance, changes, or anything that brought on this change?

How many miles/km?

Can’t comment on the lpg conversion. The 1fz has an igniter located in the bay near the fender underneath the brake master cylinder. I think it’s mounted on a bracket off the chassis. Check it’s ok.
Will do, thanks
Do you have a CEL on the dash with the key in the RUN position?

If not, then the ECU is not ready to run.

This could be part of the immobilizer, the MAF sensor not operating, or other things.

The fact that there is an LPG system on it, the folks in AUS may be more help.

Any recent maintenance, changes, or anything that brought on this change?

How many miles/km?
Thanks for your reply. I will check for the CEL tomorrow morning. It was running fine one day and then refused to start the next day. I had not done anything to it in the past couple of months and it had been running perfectly, as usual. The odometer stopped moving at about 235,000 miles some years ago, so I reckon it has now done about 300,000.

The CEL is not lighting up when I turn the ignition on. Are there lots of possible reasons for this?
With a sudden change, the first thing to look at are the fusible links coming from the battery. This is a three wire plug set that you'll need to check continuity through each leg and to check their condition.

Second look at the wiring harness above the distributor for broken wires, rodent damage, or something unplugged.

If you still cannot get the CEL to come on, then grab the FSM and start working through the troubleshooting tree. Spark, air fuel, timing.

No CEL means the ECU is not ready because it's not seeing all the right inputs.

Check under the intake manifold to verify that all wires are still connected to the sensors. Br careful to not break the clips or wires or you'll have x new place to fix.

Please forgive my ignorance but I often read on here about error codes. Would an error code help to solve this problem? If so, what do I plug into where to get the code? And then how do I find out what the code refers to?

Well my beloved Landcruiser is finally back on the road. Thank you to the kind members of this forum who sent me their suggestions. After checking all the electrics, fuel supply, compression, timing chain etc and finding no problem, my mechanic, with no real hope of success but just a stab in the dark, thought he'd try changing the plugs, even though we had been getting a spark. I had fitted Denso 16TTs, so he changed them for the ones listed in the handbook, NGK BKR6EYA. Actually the handbook recommends NGK BKR5EYA, but I gather the 6 just means it's a bit colder. Anyway, with the new plugs it fired up immediately! I am delighted and relieved but still a bit mystified: the old Denso K16TT plugs were about 6 months old with only around 1000 km on them, and they gave a spark when tested near the manifold, but when screwed in the engine wouldn't start and the plugs got soaked in petrol. If anyone can explain this, I would be interested to hear from you.

Well my beloved Landcruiser is finally back on the road. Thank you to the kind members of this forum who sent me their suggestions. After checking all the electrics, fuel supply, compression, timing chain etc and finding no problem, my mechanic, with no real hope of success but just a stab in the dark, thought he'd try changing the plugs, even though we had been getting a spark. I had fitted Denso 16TTs, so he changed them for the ones listed in the handbook, NGK BKR6EYA. Actually the handbook recommends NGK BKR5EYA, but I gather the 6 just means it's a bit colder. Anyway, with the new plugs it fired up immediately! I am delighted and relieved but still a bit mystified: the old Denso K16TT plugs were about 6 months old with only around 1000 km on them, and they gave a spark when tested near the manifold, but when screwed in the engine wouldn't start and the plugs got soaked in petrol. If anyone can explain this, I would be interested to hear from you.
The Toyota part # 90919-01176 translates to a Denso Part # K16R-U.

The plug part # you had in there was incorrect.

The NGK cross-over is BKR5EYA.

Incorrect part number plugs can be too cold to fire an engine. That may be what you had. They may have worked when new, but as soon as the edges started to deteriorate, there wasn't enough spark pressure to overcome the gap with enough heat to ignite the mixture.

This is why it is very important to use the CORRECT plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom