FZJ73 Harness Is Toast 👎🏽 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.billstengel.com
The good folks at Red Line Land Cruisers have taken my zombie 73 on and in speaking with @RLMS today, Justin said my harness is basically toast (@OGBeno thanks for sending Justin that diagram). He recommended replacing it over working through it as it’s rather fragile and victim to one ham-fisted fix on top of another.

This is probably my biggest fear with this truck. 😕

Are harnesses available as salvage items in the regions where 1FZ-F 73’s were originally sold new? Does anyone have any leads on folks who deal with this sort of thing?
Is there anyone on here that is based in one of the Colombian Metros?
Would the GCC parts swap into a South American truck? @Honger your troopy build lent some really great insight into some of the yards in the Middle East. Are there such thing as parts brokers or fixers (I love the double entendres of both of those in this context) who I could contract with to help track one of these down in the yards? @WarDamnEagle aren’t you in the GCC somewhere and chasing 70-series parts for your own rigs?

@JuanJ I get the impression there is a slight possibility that you may have some insight base on some of your posts.

I absolutely want to compensate anyone who may be able to help with on-the-ground legwork.

Many thanks!

I'm mostly chasing 45 and 55 parts but I'm not doing much, if any of that in person. Fortunately my FZJ75 doesn't need anything; not that I turned down a set of NOS seatbelts the other day when I ran across them. :D

You should be able to get a harness out of Sharjah but unfortunately I don't have any contacts there. Either @Honger or @John Young might be able to help you. Good luck.

I'm mostly chasing 45 and 55 parts but I'm not doing much, if any of that in person. Fortunately my FZJ75 doesn't need anything; not that I turned down a set of NOS seatbelts the other day when I ran across them. :D

You should be able to get a harness out of Sharjah but unfortunately I don't have any contacts there. Either @Honger or @John Young might be able to help you. Good luck.
Thanks @WarDamnEagle

I would contact @Bardiya as well. He has some good UAE connections for used parts.

Otherwise, you can try try to utilize a 1FZ-FE USDM wiring harness (82121-60343) and adapt to your needs. This will require both the 80 series EWD and the 73 series EWD.

You will most likely not find anything new OEM to replace at this point in the game. The last FZJ7x came off the assembly line in 2006. Wiring harnesses are long dried up. Maybe some NOS sitting out there in the GCC, at best, with some of the NOS parts suppliers. If so, plan on $$$$$$.

I would contact @Bardiya as well. He has some good UAE connections for used parts.

Otherwise, you can try try to utilize a 1FZ-FE USDM wiring harness (82121-60343) and adapt to your needs. This will require both the 80 series EWD and the 73 series EWD.

You will most likely not find anything new OEM to replace at this point in the game. The last FZJ7x came off the assembly line in 2006. Wiring harnesses are long dried up. Maybe some NOS sitting out there in the GCC, at best, with some of the NOS parts suppliers. If so, plan on $$$$$$.
Many thanks as usual, @OGBeno. NOS is probably tied for last on my list with a custom harness. @RLMS wasn’t a fan of using an 80-series harness but that may be a second to last option.

Hello @thebill ,

I would recommend contacting the members with access to Sharjah yards as well.

South American harnesses, even if you manage to get one in good shape, suffer from hack jobs done by both owners and mechanics: you would trade one headache for another.

You may also want to look for a 1999 - 2006 FZJ7x wiring harness as well. Less things to modify than an 80 Series loom. Throw in an instrument cluster and take the chance for an upgrade.

A 73/74/78/79 Series EWD is a must.

Juan

Ugh, I feel for you. I'm currently dealing with the same thing on @John Young RJ77. Every single connector cut and poorly spliced. I will probably have +20 hours in wiring repair when I'm done, wish I could just get a Toyota replacement.

The good folks at Red Line Land Cruisers have taken my zombie 73 on and in speaking with @RLMS today, Justin said my harness is basically toast (@OGBeno thanks for sending Justin that diagram). He recommended replacing it over working through it as it’s rather fragile and victim to one ham-fisted fix on top of another.

This is probably my biggest fear with this truck. 😕

Are harnesses available as salvage items in the regions where 1FZ-F 73’s were originally sold new? Does anyone have any leads on folks who deal with this sort of thing?
Is there anyone on here that is based in one of the Colombian Metros?
Would the GCC parts swap into a South American truck? @Honger your troopy build lent some really great insight into some of the yards in the Middle East. Are there such thing as parts brokers or fixers (I love the double entendres of both of those in this context) who I could contract with to help track one of these down in the yards? @WarDamnEagle aren’t you in the GCC somewhere and chasing 70-series parts for your own rigs?

@JuanJ I get the impression there is a slight possibility that you may have some insight base on some of your posts.

I absolutely want to compensate anyone who may be able to help with on-the-ground legwork.

Many thanks!

@Bardiya was also going to be my recommendations on scrounging through Sharjah yards. I'd be happy to help if I still lived there. He can actually try to sleuth something for you.

@Bardiya was also going to be my recommendations on scrounging through Sharjah yards. I'd be happy to help if I still lived there. He can actually try to sleuth something for you.
Thanks @Honger this is exactly what I had in mind at least for the beginning of this adventure. I will message him and see if he’s up for spending some time on this.

Ugh, I feel for you. I'm currently dealing with the same thing on @John Young RJ77. Every single connector cut and poorly spliced. I will probably have +20 hours in wiring repair when I'm done, wish I could just get a Toyota replacement.
This is the truck that my son and I drove from VA to the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum in Salt Lake two years ago and back to Florida this year. It is no longer a surprise to me that the ignition coil melted like lava on a trail in Moab. Matt has been sharing photos as he goes along and ... well ... it is pretty amazing that we had as few problems as we did.
1638477889662.png
1638477937807.png

1638477995729.png

1638478243583.png

These issues are everywhere on this Middle East veteran.

And I'm just grateful to Matt for going through the vehicle the way he is finding and correcting. Here is an 'after' photo from what Matt is doing for us:
1638478579162.png

The desert is hard on connectors and wiring, and with such an old truck it is not too surprising. I've modified how I look at a potential purchase--I'm now quite keen to look closely at the wiring before making a purchase out here.

P.S. Did I mention that sometime in the life of this old truck someone had installed a Mitsubishi alternator, complete with mounting hardware, on our old truck? This is not atypical. Usually customers here in the Middle East just say 'fix it' and the shops just 'fix' it to get it moving down the road.

Last edited:
This is the truck that my son and I drove from VA to the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum in Salt Lake two years ago and back to Florida this year. It is no longer a surprise to me that the ignition coil melted like lava on a trail in Moab. Matt has been sharing photos as he goes along and ... well ... it is pretty amazing that we had as few problems as we did.

And I'm just grateful to Matt for going through the vehicle the way he is finding and correcting. Here is an 'after' photo from what Matt is doing for us:

The desert is hard on connectors and wiring, and with such an old truck it is not too surprising. I've modified how I look at a potential purchase--I'm now quite keen to look closely at the wiring before making a purchase out here.

P.S. Did I mention that sometime in the life of this old truck someone had installed a Mitsubishi alternator, complete with mounting hardware, on our old truck? This is not atypical. Usually customers here in the Middle East just say 'fix it' and the shops just 'fix' it to get it moving down the road.

In your defense John, 95% of the issues were wrapped up good and very purposely concealed. Most would have thought it was mostly original wiring besides the few obvious issues, myself included at first glance.

View attachment 2853921View attachment 2853922
View attachment 2853923
View attachment 2853929

View attachment 2853942

This looks exactly the way I found my wire floor harness

Thanks for all the help on this. This has been huge.
Red Line emailed this morning and said they are confident that they've repaired the harness so I can call off the dogs. Now I need to find a working gauge cluster as the one that is in there is shot. I don't know if the PCB has disintegrated or if it's been "repaired" but I need to find a replacement. Does anyone have one they're up for selling, even at a premium? @cruiseroutfit ? @joekatana ? @Japan4X4 ?
Bueller?
Bueller?
Bueller?
:)

image0.jpeg

I have several different model clusters but they all came from diesels so at a minimum the tach will be different

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom