FZJ105 INTO A 94 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my 80 for about a year and a half now. I'm sitting at about 6500 lbs. and the 1FZ-FE is just not enough. I've gone back and forth about what I wanted to do for more power. I think I've decided on a turbo and stand alone ECU to run it. I really like the idea of sticking with a 1FZ and the later one from a 105 seems like a great fit. I would plan on importing the engine, trans, and transfer case all together. I've done the search and didn't find much besides Land Cruiser Heaven doing the distributor-less swap. My main question is has anyone imported a post 98 1FZ and put it in an 80 yet? TYIA.

Have you thought about getting a block that needs a rebuild and just beefing it up? Might be about the same price or better than importing a later one. Or if you need a bunch more power (like land-speed cruiser power) you could always do this:

I've had my 80 for about a year and a half now. I'm sitting at about 6500 lbs. and the 1FZ-FE is just not enough. I've gone back and forth about what I wanted to do for more power. I think I've decided on a turbo and stand alone ECU to run it. I really like the idea of sticking with a 1FZ and the later one from a 105 seems like a great fit. I would plan on importing the engine, trans, and transfer case all together. I've done the search and didn't find much besides Land Cruiser Heaven doing the distributor-less swap. My main question is has anyone imported a post 98 1FZ and put it in an 80 yet? TYIA.

Do some reading on some of the 1fz-fe Facebook groups.
I hate the Facebook format, but if you can wade through the pigshìt, there's gems of info and plenty of experienced knowledgeable people who'll respond to questions.

You'd probably come out better off by rebuilding your engine with some 105 1fz-fe bits.
Your sump likely has a boss cast in for crank angle sensor. Drill and tap to suit.
80 series 1fz-fe has stronger pistons.
Source a 105 series head or modify the 80 for cam angle sensors.
With a little bit of wiring, I believe you can run a 105 ECU, or use a plug and play aftermarket tunable ECU and have it tuned.

80s pistons, 105 head, crank sensor, cam sensor, tunable ECU make it more suited to turbo if you're that way inclined

Have you thought about getting a block that needs a rebuild and just beefing it up? Might be about the same price or better than importing a later one. Or if you need a bunch more power (like land-speed cruiser power) you could always do this:

haha this is the exact video that made me decide to try this route! I'm not looking for any world records, I'd just like to be able to pass a prius, or a bicycle.

Do some reading on some of the 1fz-fe Facebook groups.
I hate the Facebook format, but if you can wade through the pigshìt, there's gems of info and plenty of experienced knowledgeable people who'll respond to questions.

You'd probably come out better off by rebuilding your engine with some 105 1fz-fe bits.
Your sump likely has a boss cast in for crank angle sensor. Drill and tap to suit.
80 series 1fz-fe has stronger pistons.
Source a 105 series head or modify the 80 for cam angle sensors.
With a little bit of wiring, I believe you can run a 105 ECU, or use a plug and play aftermarket tunable ECU and have it tuned.

80s pistons, 105 head, crank sensor, cam sensor, tunable ECU make it more suited to turbo if you're that way inclined
I’m amateur AF. It seems a lot “safer” or easier to add a stand alone to the more modern, more supported, package. I also think it’d cool to have an imported drivetrain.

Audi2ner is in progress on this motor currently with a turbo and 5spd swap to boot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom