FZJ105 Alternator rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, my alternator is getting tired and I have to get a new one or rebuild my old one. Has anyone come across a rebuild kit with regulator, brushes and bearing in Australia (or anywhere if it ships to OZ)? I want to give it a try before going down the road of ordering a new one from Toyota.
I‘m unsure which one is in my car too.. according to to Toyota there‘s two different alternators for a FJZ105: 80AMP and 100AMP. Does anyone happen to know what model years had which one?
Mine is a 2000 GXL
Edit: I’d be also looking into an upgrade alternator as Ive just calculated my amps which is around 80 amps of continuous use, probably more

TIA

Last edited:
What voltage do you get at the battery when AC and headlights are on? Should be at least 13 V or more at idle.

It is mostly the brush kit that goes bad. I have nothing but toyotas and always experience the brush kit is the part that wears out at around 240 -275 K miles ( about 384 K Km). If the commutator has worn grooves, you can resleeve that at a machine shop too.

Try the simplest fix, brush kit (OEM).

What voltage do you get at the battery when AC and headlights are on? Should be at least 13 V or more at idle.

It is mostly the brush kit that goes bad. I have nothing but toyotas and always experience the brush kit is the part that wears out at around 240 -275 K miles ( about 384 K Km). If the commutator has worn grooves, you can resleeve that at a machine shop too.

Try the simplest fix, brush kit (OEM).
Thanks for your reply. Im getting just over 12.1 to 12V to the battery so its not enough to charge it while I’m on high beam.
My cruiser has done 280km so if I go down the rebuild road wouldn’t it be worth changing the two bearings too?
Where can I get the Brush kit (with or without bearings)? I could only find the complete assembly on Partsouq for over $900

Thanks for your reply. Im getting just over 12.1 to 12V to the battery so its not enough to charge it while I’m on high beam.
My cruiser has done 280km so if I go down the rebuild road wouldn’t it be worth changing the two bearings too?
Where can I get the Brush kit (with or without bearings)? I could only find the complete assembly on Partsouq for over $900
Sorry for the late reply:

You should be able to purchase the brush kit from partsouq. Did you enter the VIN and search the parts diagram?

This is the part number for a 2000 LC 100 series brush kit (US $ 10.70).

2737075060​

Bearing Front (OEM 90099 - 10192 ) : NSK bearing B17101AT1XDDG8BCM or NTN bearing B17101AT1XDDG8BCM

Bearing Rear: OEM 900900 - 10194 US $7.36

I still have OEM alternator bearings on all Toyotas. If you think it is time to replace, then yes.

Sorry for the late reply:

You should be able to purchase the brush kit from partsouq. Did you enter the VIN and search the parts diagram?

This is the part number for a 2000 LC 100 series brush kit (US $ 10.70).

2737075060​

Bearing Front (OEM 90099 - 10192 ) : NSK bearing B17101AT1XDDG8BCM or NTN bearing B17101AT1XDDG8BCM

Bearing Rear: OEM 900900 - 10194 US $7.36

I still have OEM alternator bearings on all Toyotas. If you think it is time to replace, then yes.
Thanks I’ll give that a try. Do you know the name or how that kit is called? I put in my vin number, searched for alternator but all it brings up in the diagram is the bearings, housing etc. No brush kit.
Its a 105GXL

Toyota is like that for some things. On some vehicles it gives the full part diagrams for some part and on others just the housing, a few bolts or the entire assembly for the same part. I had to hunt the parts for starter rebuild in some 75 modification for my European FTE, even though it is the exact same starter 🤷‍♂️
The alternators are very similar between the 2UZ and 1HD for the brushes and bearings, I assume the 1FZ too. Might differ in windings for different A outputs.
The different outputs are not so much for different model years, but for different trim levels with different extras - in Europe the high output is for vehicles with power heater, heated seats, coolbox, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks I’ll give that a try. Do you know the name or how that kit is called? I put in my vin number, searched for alternator but all it brings up in the diagram is the bearings, housing etc. No brush kit.
Its a 105GXL
Do you have 2UZFE engine? Then the brush kit should be the same. I think 03 to 07 LC 100's still use the same brush kit.

No
Do you have 2UZFE engine? Then the brush kit should be the same. I think 03 to 07 LC 100's still use the same brush kit.
I have the 1FZFE in it so its quite complicated sometimes. A lot of parts are similar to the 80series fz but there are quite a few that are not. Its a 2000 FZJ105R GXL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom