FZJ vs HDJ parts differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently imported a left-hand drive 1996 HDJ80 with a 5-speed to the United States. I was wondering if there's any sort of master list out there for parts differences between our gassers and the diesels overseas. Obviously a ton of parts are interchangeable and you can get them domestically. But I'm trying to find what I will have to source from overseas. I tried searching the forums, but couldn't find any full list. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I don't know of any master list, but if you look up the desired part number for your HDJ81 and plug it in here you can find out what other models of Toyota it was used on:

Also, these are my go-to places to look up parts based on VIN or chassis number:

I have ordered parts from both places as well, Partsouq generally has better prices and extremely quick shipping, but will ship your order without some parts if they don't happen to have them in stock.

I second ToyoDIY as my go-to source to see if parts overlap with NA versions. You need to make sure you select the right international areas for the search in order for this to work, but once you figure it out it's quite handy. What it doesn't tell you is if a NA version will actually fit but because they used a 1mm longer screw for whatever reason on the HDJ so the P/N is different. That's what MUD is for. Before I buy I generally just search for a P/N here on MUD and see what comes up.

To start I typically use Toyota EPC for the diagrams. Then I'll go to ToyoDIY for cross-references or more detailed info. MegaZip tends to have the best description of the various options, so if Toyota EPC says there were 3 options MegaZip typically has the details on what exactly that means and why those options exist. I don't know why I don't go to MegaZip first?!?

The 1HZ was offered in NA so there are many parts available domestically. I often order online through my local Toyota dealership, for example the 1HDT PS pump was about $150 cheaper domestically than on PartsSouq. But the parts can take a while to get. Partsouq is, generally, the fastest and most reliable source for parts by far.

Welcome to the club!

EDIT to add: You'll also want to start posting inquiries like this in the Diesel-specific section of the forums. Make sure those forums are included in your search because otherwise you'll miss 90% of the HDJ-specific info on the forums.

I second ToyoDIY as my go-to source to see if parts overlap with NA versions. You need to make sure you select the right international areas for the search in order for this to work, but once you figure it out it's quite handy. What it doesn't tell you is if a NA version will actually fit but because they used a 1mm longer screw for whatever reason on the HDJ so the P/N is different. That's what MUD is for. Before I buy I generally just search for a P/N here on MUD and see what comes up.

To start I typically use Toyota EPC for the diagrams. Then I'll go to ToyoDIY for cross-references or more detailed info. MegaZip tends to have the best description of the various options, so if Toyota EPC says there were 3 options MegaZip typically has the details on what exactly that means and why those options exist. I don't know why I don't go to MegaZip first?!?

The 1HZ was offered in NA so there are many parts available domestically. I often order online through my local Toyota dealership, for example the 1HDT PS pump was about $150 cheaper domestically than on PartsSouq. But the parts can take a while to get. Partsouq is, generally, the fastest and most reliable source for parts by far.

Welcome to the club!

EDIT to add: You'll also want to start posting inquiries like this in the Diesel-specific section of the forums. Make sure those forums are included in your search because otherwise you'll miss 90% of the HDJ-specific info on the forums.
Thank you for the detailed reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom