FZJ questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is FZJ as apposed to FJ?

Does anyone have/or made a driver side arm rest?

The tranny seems or feels like to shift 2 times out of 3rd gear into over drive. Is that common?

Should I change the tranny fluid now? I'm not sure when the last owner changed it. My mechanic tells me not too. Ofcourse, he doesn't work on LC's alot either...
I had a vehicle with 100k on it. I had the fluid changed by a jiffy lube ( I know, I know) and the tranny went a month later...

Also, my CD player isn't working anymore. A couple guys said they had stock units laying around. If there is any for sale, I would like to discuss...

Thanks,
Patrick.

Patrick,

>> What is FZJ as apposed to FJ? <,

The FJ80's in the US had the 3FE engine (91-92)
The FZJ80's have the 1FZ-FE engine (93-97)

>> Does anyone have/or made a driver side arm rest? <<

Steve Laird sold some for a while.

>> The tranny seems or feels like to shift 2 times out of 3rd gear into over drive. Is that common? <<

Yes. There is a 2 to 3 shift, then another "shift" when the OD kicks in.

>> Should I change the tranny fluid now? <<

It is good practice for new owners to change all fluids so they have a known starting point.

>> I had a vehicle with 100k on it. I had the fluid changed by a jiffy lube <<
>> ( I know, I know) and the tranny went a month later... <<

We have heard frequent reports of problems following tranny flushes by the corner quick lube stores. Many on this list recommend either a drain/fill cycle to eventually replenish the old with new or a "fluid replacement" procedure where a special machine is used that uses the tranny's pump to replace with new fluid... no additives, no tranny cleaners, no power flush. A drain/fill cycle takes something like 16 cycles to switch from dino to 100% synthetic.

-B-

What is always your issue with a spearate armrest. ???

I use the rest in the center, on top of my Cool box, very comfortable. :D

Please change all the fluids because you never know what the former owner did.

Mike

[quote author=PDoyle link=board=2;threadid=6968;start=msg57471#msg57471 date=1067630718]
The tranny seems or feels like to shift 2 times out of 3rd gear into over drive. Is that common?
[/quote]

Normal.

What you are feeling is the 3-OD shift and then the torque converter locking up after the shift.

D-

I agree, I use the transmission fluid exchange using Mobil synthetic ATF. Takes around 15 quarts. I do this every 30K miles for Transmission and also change the frt. rear diff's and tranfercase using synthetics.

ok, sounds all good. The extra shifting in 3rd was making me a little nervous. The dealer tells me to change the fluid every 30k.
Also, how much "damage" is there using o/d off switch and the power band switch?

Where can I see this armrest?

OD off locks out overdrive. Power moves up the part-throttle shift points. You may burn a bit more fuel that's about all that would happen. That is unless you over-reved it :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom