fzj fuel filter=lifetime??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Called the dealer to get a 75k service(not much it seems) done on mom's 97, they are heading on a road trip thru OR and ID, so I asked about the fuel filter and was told it's never replaced but is good for life, well something tells me this can't be correct.........can it? I believe he said ALL Toyota fuel injectioned fuel filters are lifetime. I know I have replaced mine 2x's on my 92, granted there was nothing wrong with them, but at 100k and 200k I just did em. Something else he said, when the fuel pump dies then replace the filter.......OK but if the filter is cloged(partialy) doesn't the fuel pump work harder and die sooner? This is the 1st time I have heard what I thought was BS from anyone at this dealer.......

No I don't work on mom's Cruiser myself......I would rather have someone else to blame if something goes wrong ;) I can bugger up my chit all day long :D

John H

I think the dealer is correct. Toyota does consider the fuel filters to be lifetime. It is certainly possible for them to become clogged though. If it was me I wouldn't worry about it unless I had problems.
aaron

Well, the life of the filter is dependent on how much dirty gas flow through it. Certainly, in a Land Cruiser, you know a lot of gas will be burned.

My experience with fuel injected engines is that a clogged fuel filter really isn't obvious until you find out you can't accelerate up a steep hill. It gets bad quick after that. Then you end up needing to buy and change a filter in the middle of nowhere.

A periodic change is a good idea...somewhere a long the range of every 80 - 100k is reasonable.

If you have a car (not a TLC!) that gets 30+ mpg then obviously it is less likely to need a fuel filter change.

In the old days with a carb a clogging fuel filter showed up quick with a rough running engine. I think with computerized fuel injection the low flow is better masked until you notice you can not get the max power you expect.

[quote author=Rich link=board=2;threadid=5422;start=msg42775#msg42775 date=1063939491]
Certainly, in a Land Cruiser, you know a lot of gas will be burned.
[/quote]

Thanks, Rich. I'm LMAO as they say. I also agree, it's easy enough to replace every 100K or so and worth doing.

So, anyway,

The fuel filter is not "lifetime" It is "replace as required". In other words, you don't change it 'cuz you hit XYZ miles. Mr T used to recommend fuel filter replacement as a maintinence item untill people started fawlking up the high pressure fittings trying to change them while vehicles were still under warranty coverage (personal read on that). In addition, they seem to be pretty durable for a long time. That is as long as you live in a developed country where the fuel supply is somewhat dependable. I prefer to change the fuel filter around 50k mile intervals. I have not had fuel delivery issues changing the filter at this interval and could easily go further. That being said, I have been able to shake some interesting "stuff" out of the old filters upon removal.
I change them before there is a problem because it is a beetch to do it on the trail while you are on a once-in-a-lifetime Elk hunt.

:cheers: D-

I prefer to change the fuel filter around 50k mile intervals.
The 1996 FZJ80R Service Book says the Fuel Filter is to be replaced every 80,000km or 100,000km(I can't remember which).

That is as long as you live in a developed country where the fuel supply is somewhat dependable.
:'(

cruiserdan,

We have 88K miles on our '97 and I have purchased a new fuel filter and will try to change it out this weekend. Please tell me the best way to remove the old filter without messing up the high pressure fittings? Using flare wrenches?

Thanks,

Chuck

The 1FZ fuel filter uses banjo bolts. A good box end wrench or socket is fine. The location of the filter makes it fun but it is doable. Some of the other EFI vehicles, notably trucks, have compression fittings that require flare nut wrenches.

D-

Guys, thanks for the info, I think I will have them change it out next service, I think it's cheap insurance.

I know if it's anything like my 3fe filter it's not hard but messy, and yes at 100k on those I had some "stuff" in the filter. I also know there is anothter filter/screen in the fuel tank, I replaced this on my 92 when I replaced the gas tank.

John H

Yo Pimp. I had to change mine at about 70k due to stalling while climbing up over ledges. Anytime I would stop like that, the truck would stall out. Clogged filter. Swapped it and no worries now.

Have fun changing the filter cause it's a real pain LOL. I did mine from under the truck. The banjo bolts have copper washers on them to seal so be careful when putting it all back together. It's very easy to drop one while threading the bolt into the filter.

Make sure you de-pressurise the system first. Let it stand overnight and open the gas cap when you do the work. Crack the two banjo fittings first, before you remove the bolts that hold the filter. Once our, take the bolt closest to the block and re-install it without the filter. Then take the new filter and cut the mounting hole open so it is a slot. That way you can slide the filter in, instead of trying to get that bolt started with the filter in. That is by far the most difficult part.

Hmmm, I seem to be having a problem getting a good top end out of my 80. Does not want to get much over 90mph at 3500 rpm. It should still be pulling at that rpm level. I wonder if the fuel filter is the problem?
Sean

Do you have a boost gauge or a pyrometer?

Hey Pimp,

What other services did the dealer recommend on mom's 97? We have about the same mileage I think. Would rather get some routine maintenance done rather then "fix" stuff.

Cdan, I do have a pyrometer.
Sean

OK,
IIRC a lean condition should make the exhaust gas temp climb. Do you see that happening? I have a boost gauge and I find that a good diagnostic tool. For example if you notice a drop in pressure you have a problem. Unfortunately I did not install a pyrometer, I have one on my Cimmins and I should have done the Cruiser too. I still may do it.

[quote author=fj40crusher link=board=2;threadid=5422;start=msg42937#msg42937 date=1063986802]
Hey Pimp,

What other services did the dealer recommend on mom's 97? We have about the same mileage I think. Would rather get some routine maintenance done rather then "fix" stuff.
[/quote]

75k is just a oil change, rotate tires, inspect stuff. 60k is a big one if I recall(change all fluids, ect) did all the stuff recomended, except plug wires, it's getting them this time.

Oh and the noise behind the dash went away, as well as the rough idle(me thinks bad gas)

John H

The EGT is about 1450+ at WOT so you could be right. What is IIRC?
Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom